Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Graduation during a recession

Registered
    Jan 2009

Graduation during a recession

Isnt it such a joy that after four years training to become a planner that I can not currently find a job that will employ me. Im not sure what the situation is elsewhere in the world (Im Scotland/UK based).

I recently applied for a job at Aberdeen City Council and got refused, when I got down to the bottom of it (as I was rather confused by the rejection letter) I found out that it was because I do not have RTPI membership. How am I meant to get that if I cant get a job?

So who else is having these problems? Im having to apply for post-graduate degrees earlier than I would have wanted, but heres hoping I can get funding, otherwise Im screwed, lol.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    same problem everywhere, im in Canada and theres almost no jobs, theres a few but guys with 10+ years get the jobs over me. Actually im originally from Aberdeen, I was thinking of moving back home but seeing your post, well, maybe not.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Be persistent. That's the only way I found my current job, and that was during this economic downturn too. And actually, there are a lot of firms and developers looking for fresh, young talent rather than ones with many years of experience. I know that where I work we just hired someone new about a month ago and they don't have that much experience. People are looking for new ways of doing things, since, well, look where the old ways got us right? So don't give up. Shoot that resume to every single place you can think of, and you're bound to get a response from somewhere.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    lolday, what company do you work for? I only live an hour from Toronto.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Feb 2011, 11:19 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Nov 2010, 10:06 AM
  3. Retail recruitment during a recession
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Feb 2009, 11:06 AM
  4. Graduation gift
    Friday Afternoon Club