Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: May Day celebration thread!

Registered
    Mar 2004

May Day celebration thread!

Comrades, what are we all doing to celebrate that great holiday of the proletariat?

Is your city having a big military parade in its central square today?

Which of your party leaders will and will not be there to watch?

Comrade Mike

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I was going to bake flower shaped cookies and give a basket of them to my elderly neighbors.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The Townfolk will be parading in front of me in a proud display of small to heavy armament.

Then... we shall dance!

As Poet Warlord here, I plan to receive much doting from my commoners, including the bringing of treats, grog and local daughters.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    actually the Waldorf School(S) here do throw a big May Day celebration - maypole and everything -

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Comrades, what are we all doing to celebrate that great holiday of the proletariat?

Is your city having a big military parade in its central square today?

Which of your party leaders will and will not be there to watch?

Comrade Mike
    Do you even know the history of May Day?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_Riot

The rest of the world seemed to find the deaths of workers in the Chicago Haymarket massacre a tragedy and worth remembering.

Oh, that's right, your one of those that would have all people, including 12 year old children working 12 hour work days with no protective gear or right to receive redress for dangerous work conditions or harm from those conditions.

I wish you had to really live by your principles in full. Don't you think it would be fun to return home after 6 days of 12 hours to find your 12 year old son or daughter mangled by a machine where they were working and nothing you could do about it? Hell, you wouldn't even be able to go to the hospital for fear of loosing your job even if you were told about it. Maybe you could beg your church congregation for a wooden prosthetic with a hook on it for him/her.

Considering the riot was more than likely caused by "Pinkerton" agents paid by corporate interests trying to break a strike, your lack of knowledge is egregious. 8 people were wrongly executed because of this.

Yeah, you are a real piece of work.

"...The trial has been characterized as one of the most serious miscarriages of justice in United States history.[43] Most working people believed Pinkerton agents had provoked the incident.[32] On June 26, 1893, Illinois Governor John Peter Altgeld signed pardons for Fielden, Neebe and Schwab after having concluded all eight defendants were innocent. The governor said the real reason for the bombing was the city of Chicago's failure to hold Pinkerton guards responsible for shooting workers...."
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

I'm ordering up another batch

...of 7.62x54R ammo for my russian rifle!

Can't beat NATO surplus ammo from the eastern block...

RES
    "Sometimes you have to get medieval with it...hammer, sparks, sweat, the whole nine yards...so don't forget your asbestos suit."
    Aphorisms on Public Hearings, Planning Guild Handbook (2001).

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by AnvilPartners View post
    ...of 7.62x54R ammo for my russian rifle!

Can't beat NATO surplus ammo from the eastern block...

RES
    Ahoy!
    Raises vodka glass to that one!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I had to dance around the maypole on May Day back in pre-K. It wasn't associated with riots or Russians. It was that old pagan-type stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maypole_dance

I guess nobody does maypoles any more...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I celebrated by going to work at the state agency today.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I had to dance around the maypole on May Day back in pre-K. It wasn't associated with riots or Russians. It was that old pagan-type stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maypole_dance

I guess nobody does maypoles any more...
    Au contraire. Mine is ready to load into the four-wheeler to take to one of the Tulip TIme opening events tomorrow.

(I'd put the video up here but it's already in teh Weekend thread.)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Celebration FL
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 12 May 2011, 6:06 PM
  2. Celebration
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 04 Dec 2005, 11:52 AM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last post: 23 Nov 2005, 11:43 AM