Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: JHU good, bad?

Registered
    May 2009

JHU good, bad?

I have read a lot on this forum comparing and contrasting the best universities for MSRE. From what I have read it seems to me that Columbia, USC, MIT, Cornell, and debatably NYU are the elite schools. My question is where does JHU fit in. Is the program any good? What are its strengths and weaknesses?

JHU offers two programs, a part-time two year for real estate professionals and an accelerated one year program for those with 3 or less years of experience. The structure of the one year program is below.

Fall
    Real Estate Enterprise
    Real Estate Analysis
    Real Estate Law
    Market and Feasibility Analysis
    Building and Site Design
    Contemporary Topics in Real Estate (year long)

Spring
    Real Estate Regulation
    Urban Land Economics
    Real Estate Finance
    Real Estate Investments
    Real Estate Construction

Summer
    Internship for Credit

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I am actually probably going to go to JHU Masters in Washington, DC. I have been in commercial brokerage for 4 years and was accepted to NYU and JHU. I am going to JHU at the DC Campus which is for working professionals with 3+ years experience. I am planning on attending full time and finishing in a year. The DC program is slightly different from the "accelerated" program in Baltimore in that you take 2 semesters of core courses and a third designed around your career goals (ie development, asset management, etc.) instead of an internship. I am choosing JHU mainly because of the cost, but also I think DC will provide a decent network of job opportunities. The cost difference is $891 per credit compared to NYU $1400 a credit hr. Not to mention the cost of living in New York compared to DC (DC 1 bd/ba = $1100 / NYC $1600 plus).

I dont know if the school carries the prestige of some of the others you discuss, but I think the name is strong enough to get you an interview at quality firms. Anyone who can add to opps after grad from JHU compared to others would be greatly appreciated. Even though I think opps in real estate as a whole are few and far between at the present. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by coast; 06 May 2009 at 2:45 PM. Reason: NYU credit is more around $1400 according to web

Registered
    Jun 2008

JHU vs Georgetown

JHU is at the top of my list too for schools in DC...NYU is secondary to that....but tonite, my gfriend brought to my attention Georgetown's MSRE program...have you guys came across it?

If so, what do you think?

Registered
    May 2009

Georgetown?

I ran across the Georgetown msre program a couple weeks ago and found it hard to find any real information on it, I've since requested more information from them but haven't received it yet. Georgetown is cheap at $793 per credit although I don't know how many classes Georgetown requires. Until i get more information I'm going to continue to think that its worse than Clemson or Maryland at a higher cost.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Good fit for me?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Apr 2013, 8:32 AM
  2. It's good to be bad at?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Mar 2013, 4:34 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 05 Mar 2009, 12:50 PM