Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What makes a plan a "good plan?"

What makes a plan a "good plan?"

My urban geography professor asked this question of my grad class this week. When we asked a local planner, they recommended reread chapter two in the green book but I was curious to see if everyone here had any additional thoughts on what makes a "good plan."

Thanks,

ldg

Registered
    Feb 1998
    One that has significant community support, and one that can be implemented.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ditto Mike's comment. I have seen what are professionally the best plans get shelved because the community gave it a collective "pffft".

In my last Community Development Director job for a municipality, we spent well over $150k for a new conservation plan that actually got implemented, and another $150k for an Economic Development Strategic Plan that got shelved after me and Prudence left the city. I stil eavesdrop on that city's website, agendas, election results, just to give a virtual middle finger to it and know that they f-d up after we were gone.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    I don't necessarily agree with the previous two responses. I think I would need more information, but I don't think there is a 'formula' in this case.

The fact that a plan is accepted by the public and implementable doesn't necessarily make it equitable.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Ditto Mike's and Chet's comments.

Any plan that actually gets implemented is a plus. Most plans tend to gather dust. My opinion on what causes this is two things:

1. The consultant uses a boilerplate plan and includes nothing that makes the plan unique.
    2. A consultant prepares a great pie-in-the-sky plan with little regard to the financial and political realities of a community.

IMO, the best way to create a plan that will actually get implemented is to work with the community and be aware of the political realities of the community. A "good plan" is one that works for the community and is comprehensive. A good plan should also include a realistic phasing plan, especially in today's economic climate.

Thank you for the input everyone!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    1) Is there a demand for the product
    2) Is the plan affordable
    3) Is the plan realistic
    4) If the plan doable
    5) Does the plan conflict or interupt surrounding areas
    6) Does the plan compliment surrounding areas
    7) Is the plan environmentally safe
    8) Does the plan change regular transportation flow

BANNED
    Registered
    May 2009
    I agree with Mike Gurnee. Community support is essential

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    To bring planning theory into the equation, it depends on the theoretical perspective you're coming from...

Someone like Friedmann would argue from the point of view of participatory planning, arguing that a good plan is one which included all stakeholders in its conception and implementation.

Someone looking from the Marxist point of view would argue that too many planners merely act to implement capitalist development, and don't pay any regard for the social equity. Therefore, from a Marxist planner's point of view, a 'good plan' will be one which promotes social equity.

Rewey

Registered
    Jun 2009
    One that solves a problem...or many problems. Now how you get there? that's a different questions. always been a fan of Charles Lindblom

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 24 Apr 2009, 2:41 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Feb 2009, 4:27 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Oct 2005, 5:28 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Apr 2001, 4:07 PM