Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: E-Z Open Packaging - Bah!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

E-Z Open Packaging - Bah!

I searched the archives and found no real thread that addresses "packaging". This Bear is referencing packages that declare themselves to be "E-Z" open (and are not), "child-proof" (meaning "adult-proof"), and examples of wasteful packaging that reduce expenses for those that package but creates so much stress with the end-users that violent crimes involving sharp objects can result.

Last weekend Katie picked-up a package of Oreo cookies. I am not a big fan of Oreos but, what the hey, I have a bear-sized sweet tooth (perhaps "sweet partial", referencing Dental thread ) so I wandered into the double-secret probation storage place, searching for the cookies. (21-year old human eat-everything machine in house, so cookies are "hidden".)

The Oreo package had a tab on the top. I pulled the tab and it easily ripped open, exposing the tasty treats to this hungry bruin. After grabbing a couple I pushed the flap back down and it held to the package, kind of like a sticky note adhesive. One of the smartest and easiest-to-use packages I have ever enjoyed.

Jump into the Wayback Machine......holiday season.....something I was given (and I don't even remember what the hexx it was!) is in the notorious and hated "tough as nails" blister-pack. After about a half hour of cutlery dancing I finally pull whatever the hexx it was out of its "permanent to the end of time" home. Yes, I understand that the manufacturer (probably in China or India) is saving moola by running that item through a machine that molds that infamous blister bubble. But, dang it.....you have engineers.....build-in some sort of tab that will allow access to the product without having a first aid kit at-the-ready.

Certain medications are the same. Designed so kids can't get to them. Well, my pharmacutical product packaging morons......neither can I. I need stress meds just to get to my regular meds.

And don't get me started on the simple things we (Katie) can do to help the situation. The little molded arrows on the cap and bottle of a typical Ibuprofen bottle are there for a reason.......allowing the cap to come off and.....imagine that.....actually access the pills that ease the pain! We have no toddlers running in our house. If our 16-month old Golden Retreiver "Molly" gets ahold of the Ibu, she doesn't care about the arrows or the cap. She is gonna try to chew the entire container. (Should solve her headache. ) Keep the dang arrows lined-up so when this ole' Bear is fumbling in the dark I can find what I need.

Oh.....not to forget the insanely-frustrating plastic wrap that adorns CD packaging. Let the retailer set-up his own anti-theft system. Jeez, anyhoo.....the only people buying CDs nowadays are old fxxxx who's Victrola needle ripped across that cherished Bobby Vee LP, rendering it even more unlistenable than when it was new.

OK....I have packaged this rant in double-bubble-blister wrap. Get the contents out, check for continuity, and blast away with your own raves about packaging.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I love when pills like allergy and cold medicine comes in blister packs where you have to peel the backing off then punch it though the foil. Except whenever I try to peel the backing off it never comes off in one piece.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    CD's and DVD wrappings are among the most annoying IMO - first you remove the plastic wrapping, then you open the box, then sometimes there's a second wrap of plastic, and finally there are super annoying adhesive 'pull tab' things on both the top and bottom of the case. It feels like it takes longer to open the package than to listen to the disc once it is open!

My LEAST favorite packaging of all, though, has to be those children's toys that are wrapped in plastic and have a carboard backing with a MEDEVIAL staple that affixes the toy to the backing. Usually have to grab a screwdriver to undo it.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Toys with literally dozens of twist-ties or rubberbands holding them to the packaging. Universally in inaccessible places. I envision Chinese workers smugly smiling in some worker's housing in Dungjo as I try to get the blasted toy out for my child.

Merry Christmas my axx.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I love when pills like allergy and cold medicine comes in blister packs where you have to peel the backing off then punch it though the foil. Except whenever I try to peel the backing off it never comes off in one piece.
    You may be too young to remember the context for why this came into being. Tylenol was the leading maker of aecitominphin (sp) at the time. Back then, all were in capusles that could be pulled apart. This was made this way for faster absorption. Some jerk decided to buy a whole slew of these, fill the capsules with cyanide and return the bottles to various locations around the Chicago area. Causing grave sickness or death to the unfortunate takers of the asprin alternative.

I for one am happy that all pills come in these types of packaging. It gives me a sense of security. I can deal with a bit of foil around the lip of the bottle.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Ch...ylenol_murders
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    You may be too young to remember the context for why this came into being. Tylenol was the leading maker of aecitominphin (sp) at the time. Back then, all were in capusles that could be pulled apart. This was made this way for faster absorption. Some jerk decided to buy a whole slew of these, fill the capsules with cyanide and return the bottles to various locations around the Chicago area. Causing grave sickness or death to the unfortunate takers of the asprin alternative.

I for one am happy that all pills come in these types of packaging. It gives me a sense of security. I can deal with a bit of foil around the lip of the bottle.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Ch...ylenol_murders
    I'm not too young I was in elementary school. I thought this incident was main development reason for the caplet.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Toys with literally dozens of twist-ties or rubberbands holding them to the packaging. Universally in inaccessible places. I envision Chinese workers smugly smiling in some worker's housing in Dungjo as I try to get the blasted toy out for my child.
    Off-topic:
    I saw a cartoon once in an automobile industrial journal where a boss reviewing blueprints says to an engineer "sorry, we're sending this one back for revision, spark plug #4 can be accessed without having to remove anything else."
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Thanks Bear for the morning laugh I am one of those adults who cant seem to open child proof bottles grrrr so the other half opens the bottle and we plop the pills in some other container that I CAN get open.

One of the best gifts my sister ever got me was this little plastic thing that opens CDs and DVDs, it seemed like such a trivial gift but the love is shared every time I don't have to fight with the BLEEEPPPP ing plastic box thing.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I absolutely hate the clamshell packaging that an increasing number of products is packaged in. My wife's company actually refuses to carry products from suppliers which use that form of packaging.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Yah, there's an As Seen on TV product that depicts why you need this shielded zip knife thingie.

When I get a new container of pills with the align-the-arrows lid, I take a Sharpie and paint the arrows so they can be found at dawn without glasses.

Most products are overpackaged. It's almost funny when I buy, say, a sack of peat moss and the clerk tries to get me to accept a bag. It's already in a bag! and there's no point in trying to keep it clean, since it's going outside in the existing dirt.

Every week my recycle bins will up with this junck. The county even accepts old wiper blades, and the containers that held the new ones.

Registered
    May 2002
    Not exactly on topic, but sometime between when I played with toys and having my son, all the manufacturers of toys decided that the battery covers had to be screwed in place. Whenever one of 'Lil Coragus' toys stops, I have to get a special small screwdriver out to replace the batteries.

More on topic, it isn't exactly marketed as "easy open" but I'm about 50/50 on opening new boxes of cereal and whether or not I completely destroy the bag in the box.
    What do you mean I can't plan? My SimCity has 390,269 people with a 99% happiness rating (1/23/2017)!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    One of my all-time favorite stories about childproof packaging was that President Nixon once called one his aides into the Oval Office. When the aide arrived, Nixon asked for help with a pill bottle that teeth marks on the cap where he had tried unsuccessfully to open it. It was probably the only thing from that administration that I could empathize with.

My own gripe is the heavy clam-shell packaging that is capable of slicing your hand open by itself while you're trying to force your utility knife through it. Here's a thought, how about a packing locking device that unlocks when they disable the security tag? I don't know why they want things returned in the original packaging when you're forced to trash it to get to your purchase. It's not like they can just close it back up and resell it.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2002
    My current peeve in this area is the thin cardboard boxes with perforated pull tabs. The theory is you pull the tab across the width of the box and then easily open the box. The reality is that the tab tears off about a third of the way across the box. How about designing something that works?

I once bought a product in a clamshell inside a box. When I opened the box I first enclountered an instruction sheet about how to get the product out of the clamshell! That was a first for me.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    What about the plastic packaging that multiple ink tanks (for inkjet printers) come in? Is that considered clamshell packaging? Those things are virtually impossible to open... and usually non-recyclable to boot! What's wrong with ordinary cardboard??

I don't know what kind of packaging cold cuts come in these days, but I know that when I buy the vegetarian "meat" slices, they are often shrink-wrapped so tightly that I can't open the package without slicing into the contents.

I like when food items (like bags of raisins or nuts) come in zip-top bags. Unfortunately, sometimes they won't "zip" properly, and I have to pour the contents into another bag.

Somehow I know that it's only going to get worse as I get older...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Recent new experience: individual pill blister packaging that could only be opened by scissors. The package even said so! Use scissors. wow.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    The thing that annoys me is the zip-top bags that cheese or lunch meat comes in. Half the time the perforation rips so that it is impossible to get into the package without destroying the zip-top. I usually just say screw it and put it in a zip-lock bag.

I will second the hatred towards the god-awful plastic that slices open your hand if you open it wrong. I have cut my finger a few times on that crap!

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Have you heard Dennis Leary's take off on opening CDs. It says it all and actually applies to lot of other things
    Do not play it in front of young children or when the preacher is present ooops on second thought it will eliminate some of those visits

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have trouble with plastic cereal bags, and wish for the days when cereal came in waxed paper or foil bags.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear thought.....let's open an olde thread in which we discuss packaging. Haven't covered this topic in awhile.

this morning

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Packaging and packaging issues
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 Apr 2011, 12:40 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Apr 2010, 9:40 PM
  3. Replies: 9