Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Macy's coming to San Luis Obispo...

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008

Macy's coming to San Luis Obispo...

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/business/story/700785.html

I think JcPenney's will be replacing where Circuit City and Linens N Things were, and I think TJ'Maxx might look into going into the Madonna Plaza. Or it might just be a competition between TJ Maxx and JcPenney's.

I definately think Macy's will replace the Gottschalks in San Luis Obispo, Visalia, Victorville, and Palmdale.

I heard that the rest of the Gottschalks are going to be taken over by Dillards, Belks, Kohl's, JcPenney's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Forever 21, Burlington Coat Factory, Wal-Mart and Target.

Any thoughts on who might replace other old Gottschalks stores? Any thoughts on Macy's going into San Luis Obispo?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Macy's is just generally lame. I love the original flagship store in NYC but most of the others I've been to fall short.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Macy's is just generally lame. I love the original flagship store in NYC but most of the others I've been to fall short.
    No kidding. The Macy's stores in FL used to be Burdines which used to be Jordan Marsh. I gave up on them a couple years ago when they quit selling dressing for us short women (and we're only 50% of the female population!).

Belk's is really big on moving into vacated spaces in the malls down here.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Macy's used to be such a big deal being a strong competitor in the high-end department store market. Ever since they became a national brand it seems they have lost some of that edge. Macy's pixxed a lot of people off in the Upper Midwest when they converted Marshall Field's to Macy's in 2006.

Macy's has converted many regional department stores such as Lazarus in the Midwest, Foley's in the Southwest, Kaufmann's in the interior Northeast (namely PA) and Burdines in Florida. Most of these regional department stores were at least 100 years old. Macy's conversion of these stores seemed to generate some ill-will with frequent shoppers. It feels like Macy's has become watered down ever since becoming a national chain.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by urban19 View post
    Any thoughts on Macy's going into San Luis Obispo?
    What, did Robert Nardelli just become their CEO?

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    I am glad that Macy's lost alot of it's upscale edge. I like alot of the sales they have, and the "hip" clothing they sell. Macy's is like your lower-end designer department store compared to Gottschalks being an upper end JcPenney's.

One thing is for sure. Sears, JcPenney's, Macy's, Belks, Dillards are the 5 biggest department stores out there. most urbanized areas have at least 3 of the 5.
    and then you have your discount department stores like Kohl's, Gabriel Brothers, Loehmans, Burlington Coat Factory, etc...

then you have your upscale department stores like lord and taylor, neiman marcus, bloomingdales, nordstroms, bon-ton, boscov's, (modern day upscale macys), sak's fifth avenue, etc...
    and then you have NY upscale department stores like century 21 and filene's basement
    and then on the lowest end you have off-price clothing retailers such as Ross, Marshall's, TJ'Max, Old Navy, Bealls, etc...
    Last edited by urban19; 03 May 2009 at 12:14 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The last couple times I have been to Macy's, I have found some good deals on decent stuff and I am a cheap bastard when it comes to cothes, etc.

We only got Macy's here in Colorado a couple years ago when they took over Dillard's (or was it Foley's)?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I haven't bought anything at Macy's in years. Their style is old man/ghetto poser. I'll stick to my other sources of clothing wear such as Banana and J Crew (outlets of course )
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    Macy's pixxed a lot of people off in the Upper Midwest when they converted Marshall Field's to Macy's in 2006.
    I'm one of those people. Marshall Field's was a classy department store, unlike anything else. Macy's is just the same old boring, run-of-the-mill, sterile department store you find everywhere else and I have yet to go there and buy stuff ever since they took over.

Now, I'm loyal to Kohl's and every now and then, Carson's.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    I haven't bought anything at Macy's in years. Their style is old man/ghetto poser. I'll stick to my other sources of clothing wear such as Banana and J Crew (outlets of course )
    I think I've been in the Union Square Macy's in SF three times ever, and each of those times it was because someone had given me a gift card. It is one of the nicer Macy's around, and I think it's their second biggest store (I know that it used to be, but the converted Marshall Field's in Chicago might be bigger - they look similar sized from the outside). I do like their window displays and the giant things they do on the building in Union Square, so I would miss them if they were gone.

I can't stand any of their suburban locations though - too many other options that are better.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    May 2004
    sometimes they have great deals on stuff- like 4 dollars for nice buttondown shirts or 6 dollars for a pair of slacks. Those are the only times I buy anything at macys

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    On a related note....
    Krystal's coming to town

The Krystal Company has broken ground on a new Panama City Beach restaurant and will open the location this summer, a company spokesman said Monday.
    http://www.newsherald.com/articles/t...each-city.html

Losing Walmart

Fashion Bug and Walmart are, to some extent, a study in contrasts, but the specialty women's clothing store and America's largest general retailer stand side by side in 23rd Street's Panama City Square.

Walmart plans to close its 23rd Street location and open a new, larger supercenter about 3.8 miles away in Lynn Haven.
    http://www.newsherald.com/news/panam...y-walmart.html

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Yum, the southern version of White Castle.

It seems like Fashion Bug and Walmart pair up a lot and end up in the same centers.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    ...Fashion Bug...
    I have lots of deep discount coupons--valid nationwide--for ^^this store. Anybody who shops there- I'd be happy to snailmail the the coupons to you.

urban19, are you happy with our responses so far?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    Off-topic:
    I have lots of deep discount coupons--valid nationwide--for ^^this store. Anybody who shops there- I'd be happy to snailmail the the coupons to you.

It's not cali enough yet... on another note, i saved a bunch of $$ by switch my car insurance to Gieco...

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    Off-topic:

yes, i do like the responsses.

and, i like macy's because they have cheap sales and they sell the gangster-city clothing. otherwise the clothes they sell r in-fashion for city girls, and designer clothes for businessmen and women.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    I heard from the Santa Barbara Macy's there are plans for a store in San Luis Obispo. I was thinking Forever 21 might close, but now I am wondering it could go in the Dalidio Ranch project if he annexes it into the city. I heard that the city has zoned for some of the land to be built within the city and the rest to be open space. I think the city and Mr. Dalidio need to come to an agreement. Why doesn't Dalidio sell his property to some one perhaps like the SLO Promenade 2 idea.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    ...............you can't make this stuff up. Seriously. This is happening right now. No joke.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    urban19, you did realize this would happen once March was over, and you immediately started posting in in SLO threads again, right?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    what am I missing?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    what am I missing?
    Nothing to see, move along now.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I heard from the Santa Barbara Macy's there are plans for a store in San Luis Obispo. I was thinking Forever 21 might close, but now I am wondering it could go in the Dalidio Ranch project if he annexes it into the city. I heard that the city has zoned for some of the land to be built within the city and the rest to be open space. I think the city and Mr. Dalidio need to come to an agreement. Why doesn't Dalidio sell his property to some one perhaps like the SLO Promenade 2 idea.
    Do you have a life outside of pontificating about SLO and this stupid property?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Listen David/U19/the City,
    I think this board has had enough with your postings about retail, san luis obispo, and california. You are truly a one-trick pony. I don't speak for anybody but myself on this board, but seriously, take a break from it. There is life outside of retail and san luis obispo. Go find a girl, smoke a dub, drink a beer, please do something to take the edge off your obsession with retail or better yet, get a job at one of these fine retail institutions and preach the gospel of retail there, but seriously, i think i can say what's on most people's minds here...

No one gives a fuck.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Listen David/U19/the City,
    I think this board has had enough with your postings about retail, san luis obispo, and california. You are truly a one-trick pony. I don't speak for anybody but myself on this board, but seriously, take a break from it. There is life outside of retail and san luis obispo. Go find a girl, smoke a dub, drink a beer, please do something to take the edge off your obsession with retail or better yet, get a job at one of these fine retail institutions and preach the gospel of retail there, but seriously, i think i can say what's on most people's minds here...

No one gives a fuck.
    Amen brother.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Agreed. nuff said.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 03 Apr 2011, 7:52 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Apr 2011, 1:18 PM
  3. San Luis Obispo, CA
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 89
    Last post: 18 Feb 2011, 6:16 PM