Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Am I crazy if I want to switch from green building engineering? And how do I do it?

Registered
    May 2009

Am I crazy if I want to switch from green building engineering? And how do I do it?

I am currently working as a mechanical engineer doing building commissioning and energy audits. I am also a LEED AP and really interested in sustainability and conservation. The more I work in this field, the more I see the need and importance for urban planning to support these "green buildings".

So how should I find out if I really want to go into planning? I have been reading about conservation planning, which sounds interesting. It seems a masters in planning is must, but before I go there, how should I find out if I want to make the switch? Internships don't really fit to well with working 50 hrs per week year round...

Would a background in engineering harm me or help me? I have a BS in mechanical engineering and have been working in the field for 3 yrs.

Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    In your situation, in todays economy, I would not take off two years for a masters in planning. A couple of shorter steps can lead you into planning. LEED NP might be your next step. Short courses in development of communities should also be considered. Years ago the Georgia Tech and Oklahoma planning schools teamed up to provide an intensive one month program for people like you.

An engineering background never hurts.

Registered
    Sep 2007
    As an engineer, I'd say with your LEED acreditation, you'd be better off as an engineer with an A/E firm that as a planner, from a money standpoint.

You might want to get involved in city or county council.
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. CNN reports US building green
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Apr 2010, 8:43 AM
  2. Switch to plans examiner/building inspector
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Jul 2008, 11:00 AM