Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Using projects from one firm at another firm

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Using projects from one firm at another firm

As some of you already know by now, I was laid off yesterday after four years at my firm. Yes, I am doing fine and I expect a quick recovery.

As the sole planner in my firm, I staffed the entire department during my tenure. In the exit interview the owners were not sure about the future of the firm. This morning at 9AM they are having an all-staff meeting to discuss my lay-off and a restructuring of the firm.

One of my competitors has an old boss on staff and a few other people who I know very well. I applied for a job with them a few years ago but was rejected. However, I still get along with all of them. Now that the planning department at my old job is dissolved, I want to capitalize on this as much as I can. It might be a relief for the competitor to know that my old firm might be kicked out of the running on future planning projects.

My master resume at my former job is about 6 pages in length (including brief descriptions). From my experience, consultants often include project experience from past employers for new proposals on new teams. Since I was the only planner at my job for 4 years, the competitor could bank on my project experience from my firm when going after projects. Obviously, I'm not going to give the competitor any working files since that would be an ethics violation.

What are your views regarding the master resume?
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Any private-sector employer would definitely be looking to use your experience on previous jobs as a selling point in going after new business so it only makes sense that this would be included on your c.v.

My c.v. includes project experience gained with previous employers...it is clearly indicated who I was working for at the time...otherwise it would be a pretty short c.v. for a senior planner!

It's likely your former employer will be using planning projects you worked on in going after new business...even if they don't have a planner on staff anymore.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    It's likely your former employer will be using planning projects you worked on in going after new business...even if they don't have a planner on staff anymore.
    I am very well aware of this. When I started this job 4 years ago, I already had 3 years of project experience, mostly from various internships and work as an independent contractor in college. Much of this work was in long range planning, Sketchup, GIS, and GPS. I also have a handful of 1-2 semester long student projects that I used on a case-by-case basis at my last job. This student work used as a last-resort on my resume for bids.

I am cleaning out my office tomorrow. All of the planning work I did for my previous full-time employer was also supervised by a project manager, so they should have that information on file. However, I do not want my former employer using my previous outside projects/contracts to help with their proposals since that would be misleading. I intend to delete all copies of my in-house resumes, which includes outside work.

Family Guy

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Sorry to hear that you were laid off from your job. I hope you are able to find something even better.

As someone who worked for two other private-sector firms before going solo, I agree that you should include your prior projects on a "master resume" or c.v. Depending on how the document will be used, I typically identify certain projects as "completed under previous employment" or something similar to avoid any misunderstanding.

Tranplanner is right - your former employer will undoubtedly list the projects you completed while working there as part of their project experience. Technically, those projects are the company's projects... but that doesn't mean you can't include them on your master resume as examples of your project experience as well, regardless of where that experience was acquired.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Go forth to a greener, happier pasture with a clear ethical conscience!

Your only obligation is to cite the employer you were with while completing the project. On most master resumes/CVs I've seen, this is a standard format:

Project Name
    Client
    Firm
    Brief Description

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I don't know about any issues with AICP, but industry standard seems to find it acceptable to use work experience gained at other firms in your overall resume of previous projects.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by The District View post
    I don't know about any issues with AICP, but industry standard seems to find it acceptable to use work experience gained at other firms in your overall resume of previous projects.
    This wasn't my concern. I brought 2 1/2 years worth of projects when I started as an entry-level 4 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if my ex-employer kept those projects (which were neither mine nor theirs) and used them (and my name) on future bids. Even though the 2 1/2 years of projects are not my property either (they are the property of old employers) I still take them with me when I leave the job.

Family Guy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Last 2 jobs, I was a consultant and used specific projects. I wanted the new employer to contact the client for a reference.

EDIT: Sorry about the lay off...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What does an UP do at a RED Firm
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Mar 2009, 10:29 AM
  2. Danielian Associates...how about this firm?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Jan 2009, 11:07 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Aug 2008, 7:28 PM
  4. Starting a consulting firm
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Jan 1998, 4:34 PM
  5. Top 10 architecture firm lists?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0