Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Chimayo, NM

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Chimayo, NM

Chimayo is a small Hispanic village in northern New Mexico famous as a pilgrimage destination. The history of the pilgrimage cult in Chimayo, which is primarily centered on the chapel known as the Santuario de Chimayo, is long and complicated. The Santuario is the building in the first few pictures here. The other pictures are of other parts of the village.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Thank you for sharing beautiful photos of a fascinating and little known-about area in our country.

Quote Originally posted by teofilo View post
    Who painted this mural? (And why?) Do you have closeup photo of it?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I like the colors on the mural. reminds me of a late Gaugain.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Teofilo, your photos remind me again that I've got to tour northern NM and southern CO before I get too old.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    Who painted this mural? (And why?) Do you have closeup photo of it?
    I don't have a closeup of it, unfortunately. I presume someone associated with the Santuario painted it; it's a stylized view of the chapel and the plaza next to it. The building it's painted on is right across that plaza from the Santuario and houses the bathrooms.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Keep on posting photos of those small New Mexico towns! Makes me miss the state even more; I'd really like to get back there when I retire.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Unfortunately, I've posted all the pictures of small NM towns I that I currently have. Glad to hear that people have liked them; I'll try to take some more as the opportunity arises. In the meantime, I'll be posting a bunch of pictures of towns I went through on a recent road trip to California. Pie Town was actually the first of these, but it's the only one in NM.

+ Reply to thread