Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mobile, AL - recommendations

Registered
    Aug 2005

Mobile, AL - recommendations

We'll be heading to NOLA this fall and most likely will take a day trip to Mobile. Any suggestions on things to do, see, or restaurants?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Oh yes I spent a bit of time down there when I was doing a summer of environmental biology down at the Sea Lab.

Visit Dauphin Island www.dauphinisland.org/ I understand after some hurricane damage they have redone the Sea Lab and have more for the public to check out. Nice quiet end of the island so fun to do. They also have some coastal planning info www.disl.org/coastal/

Also I would highly recommend Bellingrath Gardens www.bellingrath.org/ Simply breath taking gardens and home.

Have fun!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hit The Flora-Bama for the authentic Lower Alabama experience.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Nov 2008
    I used to live two miles from the Flora-Bama (Florida side). It's a must stop, but it got nailed by a hurricane in 2004.

Dreamland BBQ is nationally known for their smoked pig parts.

The old downtown area is sort of nice, but if you are coming from NOLA, you may as well spend time on one of the beaches south of town. The beaches tend to improve as you travel east from NOLA, but Orange Grove and Perdido Key are nearby. Perdido Key also has some protected dune areas that are interesting if you are into nature crap.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for all your suggestions. We visited Dauphin Island in 2004/2005 before the hurricane. We really enjoyed it and actually saw some dolphins!

Bellingrath looks lovely and I'd love to check it out.

We do like nature crap, and lots of it! Thanks for the suggestion of the dunes at Perdido Key.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Book recommendations
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Sep 2009, 9:20 AM
  2. Recommendations on new PC
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Jul 2008, 4:12 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Mar 2008, 8:43 AM