Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Manitou Springs, CO

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Manitou Springs, CO

Manitou is right next to Colorado Springs, but in some ways it couldn't be more different. I took these pictures in the late afternoon and early evening, so the lighting on some of them is a little, um, odd, but hopefully they still give a sense of the place.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    ooh gorgeous & unique architecture. looks like they have a pretty vibrant downtown area!

Registered
    May 2005
    These are great! And a good friend is the mayor of Manitou Springs, too! They have done a LOT of work during his tenure to deal with historic preservation and develop downtown as an anchor point for tourism and future development. He would be proud of the nice pics. Maybe I'll direct him to them. I saw him at the end of last summer and he was super jazzed about what they had accomplished.

There was an interesting article that featured him, too, but I have lost the link. Their house burned down a few years ago and they rebuilt with a heavy emphasis on sustainable building practices. The fire and rebuilding led directly to his run for mayor - people loved what he was doing on the his home site and wanted to expand these elements to existing and new construction int he city.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We just LOVE Manitou Springs.
    It is wonderful, they have and awesome arts festival. We just happened to stumble through town on that weekend, incredible.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Wow! What a really neat town. Thanks for sharing teofilo!

It's not often you see Art Nouveau in America. Lovely!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What a cool place! I love how they don't take themselves so seriously - 'Dude, no grinding'!!!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2007
    Manitou is an old hippy type of town, similar to a Bisbee, AZ. It's a nice, but awkward place. Several years ago they had a "Keep Manitou Weird" campaign to drive out some development.

Stop by Kinfolks if you're ever there, they always have a great selection of microbrews on tap, and you'll rarely drink the same brews in different visits.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. DeFuniak Springs FL
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 23 Jan 2013, 10:26 PM
  2. Hello from CO Springs
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Feb 2010, 10:14 AM
  3. Dripping Springs, Texas
    Cities and Places