Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fastest external hard drive/jump drive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Fastest external hard drive/jump drive

I am cleaning out my office at my job this evening, and have several remaining files on the network I want to make copies of. What is the fastest external drive/jump drive that you would recommend? Is the file transfer rate more dependent on the network connection?

Thanks-
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    I am cleaning out my office at my job this evening, and have several remaining files on the network I want to make copies of. What is the fastest external drive/jump drive that you would recommend? Is the file transfer rate more dependent on the network connection?

Thanks-
    If you're transferring over your LAN or directly from your computer at your office? LAN speeds can vary greatly and so can wireless. LAN you're not going to get any better then 12-16mb/sec. Its all relative, just get an external SATA drive, 7200 rpm with firewire and usb.

If you're really keen on speed get a solid state external drive, it will cost you and its not worth it and you won't notice much of a difference. Plug it in directly to the server in which the files are stored in.

I'd rather start transferring data and do something else.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The SATA is a good recommendation. My suggestion is to get that started the second you get to the office, and work on other stuff while it copies, maybe even go grab some dinner and come back to check it.

I took about 18gig off my network when I left and it took the better part of two hours (i went to eat lunch and it was done when I got back, so it may have been less than that).

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. A drive-thru for this ? ? ? ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 May 2009, 10:05 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Apr 2009, 1:44 PM
  3. FDR Drive esplanade (nyc)
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Jun 2005, 2:15 PM