Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: LEED-ND 2009

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

LEED-ND 2009

When will this version of the exam roll out? I am assuming sometime in the Fall of 2009.

I just want to take the exam and get it over with. During the all-staff meeting this morning, we discussed the changes going on with the 2009 verson. Is it too late to be grandfathered under the pre-2009 exam? I still have yet to register, study, or take the exam.

Thanks-

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    When will this version of the exam roll out? I am assuming sometime in the Fall of 2009.

I am a little confused how the new "roll out" works. Do I have until March to register for the existing 2008 LEED-NC (New Construction) exam? The 2009 LEED-ND (Neighborhood Development) won't roll out sometime till Fall 2009, which is kinda late for me. The 2009 LEED-AP exams are two-part. Part I is the LEED Green Associate? exam and Part II is the specialized exam, leading to LEED-AP accrediation. If I take the 2008 LEED-NC exam early next year would I still need to take the LEED Green Associate? Can I be grandfathered?

Is LEED planning on differentiating between LEED-AP individuals down the road? I plan on practicing both planning and landscape architecture, so I would rather just have one "LEED-AP" designation. I read somewhere about having to document the projects I work for accrediation, not certification, requirements. Is anyone familiar with this? From the planning perspective, can it be something as simple as reviwing a LEED project? I have already done a few of these.

Thanks-

Registered
    Dec 2001
    As of right now, there is no timeline for the LEED 2009 testing.

The LEED NC version 2.2 test is still being administered. I am told that you will have a 90-day notice before the current test is scrapped.

The LEED 2009 document is still being revised from public comments as of now.

My advice, take the NC test now. LEED 2009 will cover alot more material, and the study material wont be available.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the update. I plan on taking the current exam for new construction sometime this spring. I am still in study mode from AICP. I am waiting questions from the Green Building Council Institute about maintaining accreditation while in graduate school. From what I have heard so far, the Legacy LEED-APs will not have to worry about providing work experience on LEED projects. This would be good for me as I plan on practicing both planning and landscape architecture, and work might dry up a couple of decades in the next recession. However, everyone will eventually have to take the exam every 2 years to maintain their accreditation.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Uggg....

What a mess....how is any of this LEED stuff any better than AICP issues?? It sounds like more of a headache to me......all the changes and nuances involved with the various LEED classifications make AICP look like a plain jane vanilla program
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Dec 2001
    OK...I take that back...found this today....

According to the GBCI.org website:

Q: When are the current LEED AP exam tracks being retired?
    A: In order to maintain alignment with the new LEED 2009 Rating System, the last date that candidates will be able to register for the current LEED for Commercial Interiors 2.0 and LEED for New Construction 2.2 LEED Accredited Professional (LEED AP) credentialing exams will be March 31, 2009 (11:59 PM, Eastern Time). New registrations will not be accepted by GBCI after March 31, 2009. Scheduling and testing deadlines for the LEED NC 2.2 and LEED CI 2.0 LEED AP credentialing exams have not been determined.
    Registration for the LEED for Existing Buildings version 2.0 LEED Accredited Professional (LEED AP) credentialing exam ended on September 30, 2008.

Current time is 02:42 pm

Will there ever be a LEED - Neighborhood Development exam that will give a person LEED AP?

Or will the new LEED exams cover all parts (New Construction, Neighborhood Development, etc.)?
    Ricky Slade: Listen to me, I intentionally make this gun look that way because I am smart.

MADE

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    2009 LEED-ND will be rolled out sometime this fall, if not later.

I've read and used the pilot for LEED-ND on a few LEED projects so far. Not bad, but still could use a LOT of tweaking.

Family Guy

Registered
    Jan 2009

Deadline to take test

Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    OK...I take that back...found this today....
    Jeff:

Thanks for your info. You're very resourceful with this issue. Concerning the the nb leed test, the deadline is march 30, 2009 to register. Ok, that has been confirmed. However, when you register, what is the time frame to take the test? I'm gearing up for my leed certification (another title to my name), but just want to make sure I have ample time to study, before I jump into everything.

Thanks again

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I found some updates regarding the LEED exam. GBCI is not good at responding to phone calls. They are worse then AICP, if that is even possible.

3/31/2009 is the deadline to register for the 2008 LEED exams. They are offered for New Construction and Existing Buildings. If your company or organization has a USGBC corporate membership, use their ID to save money on the registeration fee. I believe you have up until the end of May to take the 2008 exam. However, you register through Prometric after you have paid your registeration fees at gbci.org.

If you pass the 2008 LEED exam(s) for NC or EB before the end of May? you will be considered a Legacy LEED AP. In 2011 or 2012 you will need to swear an oath that you will abide by their Code of Ethics as well as obtain CEUs to maintain your accreditation. Projects are LEED certifed. People are LEED accredited.

If you register after 3/31/2009, you will be taking the 2009 exam. The "rollout" means that different exams will be introduced throughout the year by GBCI. Eventually there will be a LEED-ND exam. GBCI said it "might" be this Fall. Keep in mind, GBCI is still evolving this year. New policies are introduced every day.
    **IMPORTANT** with the 2009 exam, you will need to demonstrate proof of LEED projects completed to apply for the exam as well as maintain accreditation. There are also two different exams (not just one) for the 2009 exam. The first exam will make you a LEED Green Associate. In order to have the LEED AP credentials, you will need to take a second more specialized exam. Yes, this sounds like a bunch of garbage. For further information, please see GBCI at
    http://www.gbci.org/DisplayPage.aspx?CMSPageID=84

I highly encourage everyone to register for the 2008 exam while you still have the time and become a Legacy LEED AP so you grandfathered under the old requirements. I think it will be very difficult when the next recession rolls out in 15-20 years to keep the accreditation under the 2009 rules.

If you take the 2008 LEED AP exam, pass it, and you plan on going back to grad school later like me, you can keep your accreditation in grad school by becoming an unofficial member of USGBC. GBCI said it would be much more difficult to do this with 2009 roll-out, as you have to demonstrate proof of projects to take the exam and maintain elligibility.

Finally, everyone will eventually need to take the LEED exam every two years to maintain accreditation. Legacy LEED APs can wait until 2011 or 2012. Yes, it is a money-making thing. However, I do see some value in taking the exam every few years to stay on top of new and changing trends.

Hope this helps-

Family Guy

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ok....

Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    I found some updates regarding the LEED exam. GBCI is not good at responding to phone calls. They are worse then AICP, if that is even possible.

3/31/2009 is the deadline to register for the 2008 LEED exams. They are offered for New Construction and Existing Buildings. If your company or organization has a USGBC corporate membership, use their ID to save money on the registeration fee. I believe you have up until the end of May to take the 2008 exam. However, you register through Prometric after you have paid your registeration fees at gbci.org.

If you pass the 2008 LEED exam(s) for NC or EB before the end of May? you will be considered a Legacy LEED AP. In 2011 or 2012 you will need to swear an oath that you will abide by their Code of Ethics as well as obtain CEUs to maintain your accreditation. Projects are LEED certifed. People are LEED accredited.

If you register after 3/31/2009, you will be taking the 2009 exam. The "rollout" means that different exams will be introduced throughout the year by GBCI. Eventually there will be a LEED-ND exam. GBCI said it "might" be this Fall. Keep in mind, GBCI is still evolving this year. New policies are introduced every day.
    **IMPORTANT** with the 2009 exam, you will need to demonstrate proof of LEED projects completed to apply for the exam as well as maintain accreditation. There are also two different exams (not just one) for the 2009 exam. The first exam will make you a LEED Green Associate. In order to have the LEED AP credentials, you will need to take a second more specialized exam. Yes, this sounds like a bunch of garbage. For further information, please see GBCI at
    http://www.gbci.org/DisplayPage.aspx?CMSPageID=84

I highly encourage everyone to register for the 2008 exam while you still have the time and become a Legacy LEED AP so you grandfathered under the old requirements. I think it will be very difficult when the next recession rolls out in 15-20 years to keep the accreditation under the 2009 rules.

If you take the 2008 LEED AP exam, pass it, and you plan on going back to grad school later like me, you can keep your accreditation in grad school by becoming an unofficial member of USGBC. GBCI said it would be much more difficult to do this with 2009 roll-out, as you have to demonstrate proof of projects to take the exam and maintain elligibility.

Finally, everyone will eventually need to take the LEED exam every two years to maintain accreditation. Legacy LEED APs can wait until 2011 or 2012. Yes, it is a money-making thing. However, I do see some value in taking the exam every few years to stay on top of new and changing trends.

Hope this helps-
    Don't forget that if you make the application within 3 days of a lunar eclipse, the fee will be reduced using a formula that involves your age, years of experience and the waist size of the current GBCI president. Keep in mind that once you pass the first exam, you will be subject to random quizzes througout your first two years, to be administered by a GBCI rep., LEED-AP rep. and a representative of the american psychiatric association

I am now 100% convinced that anyone LEED accredited who also complains about AICP CM is a hypocrite......possibly of the highest order

In the words of Norm MacDonald
    Ridiculous.....Just Ridiculous!

Having said all that....I plan on getting LEED-ND in 2010
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Okay, so I went through the whole process of the nb track for leed cert. I was accepted and was re-directed to prometric. There were no restrictions on when to take the test, hey you could do it a year from you sign up. I'm prob going to do it in July, giving me 6 months to study. When you sign up you have to pay the $400, but you can change the date if you want to. I'm going to finalize everything this week, and begin to get that leed title added to my name.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Double-check this with GBCI. I heard it was no later than May to pass the 2008 exam. It's probably because they want to don't want to be dealing with 2008 exams when they are rolling out with the 2009 exams.

Family Guy

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have multiple questions about the standards.

Why/how is the number of intersections per square mile an indicator of "sustainability"?

Why are points given for things that are out of the control of the developer (ie transit routes, transfer of ownership for "public areas")?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    I have multiple questions about the standards.

Why/how is the number of intersections per square mile an indicator of "sustainability"?

Why are points given for things that are out of the control of the developer (ie transit routes, transfer of ownership for "public areas")?
    Is this for the 2009 ND exam or the 2008 NC exam?

Family Guy

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Is this for the 2009 ND exam or the 2008 NC exam?
    It is in the old standards. it is more of a question of why this standard is a measure of sustainability.

See http://www.usgbc.org/ShowFile.aspx?DocumentID=2845 page 69. It is actually a measure of linear mile of road per square mile, but is also begin expressed in terms of intersections per square mile.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Rants with LEED

Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    It is in the old standards. it is more of a question of why this standard is a measure of sustainability.

See http://www.usgbc.org/ShowFile.aspx?DocumentID=2845 page 69. It is actually a measure of linear mile of road per square mile, but is also begin expressed in terms of intersections per square mile.
    All of the LEED exams are somewhat "open source" so GBCI receives feedback about the exams from members and non-members alike. I imagine a group of respondents thought that the road intersections is a sustainable idea. Although, I am taking the 2008 NC2.2 exam (New Construction) additional road intersections, when viewed strictly in terms of materials, are frowned upon in NC2.2 for increased surface run-off, heat-island effects (non-roof), and destroying potential existing habitats or damaging open space.

There are a few credits in the NC exam that I don't agree with (that have little to nothing to do with sustainability). One of the big ones I disagree with is thermal comfort. Having individual controls for heating/cooling is really a luxury, it can complicate the HVAC system, leading to more adjustments in that system to meet other credit requirements. Yes, thermal comfort "may" increase worker productivity, but there are plenty of non-building reasons that may also decrease worker productivity. I would be more convinced if the LEED Reference Manual pointed out that individual heating/cooling controls lessens the need for space heaters and fans (in a mechanically ventilated environment) thus lowering energy costs, lowering demand (however negligible) for raw non-renewable resources to make the fan or space heater.

The other big disagreement (right now) is another credit requiring thermal comfort to be verified with a survey. If more than 20% of workers are uncomfrotable with thermal comfort then the HVAC system needs to be changed. There is no standard for the survey itself (it should be written by USGBC not a developer) so, like most surveys, it could be carefully crafted to make it appear like there is more support for the system. In addition, USGBC staff doesn't have a level playing field for measuring one type of survey against another. Having written plenty of surveys for comprehensive plans, image preference surveys, etc. I think there should be an Innovation in Design (ID) credit for this EQ credit to standardize opinon surveys.

Family Guy

Registered
    Sep 2001
    All of the LEED exams are somewhat "open source" so GBCI receives feedback about the exams from members and non-members alike. I imagine a group of respondents thought that the road intersections is a sustainable idea. Although, I am taking the 2008 NC2.2 exam (New Construction) additional road intersections, when viewed strictly in terms of materials, are frowned upon in NC2.2 for increased surface run-off, heat-island effects (non-roof), and destroying potential existing habitats or damaging open space.

I kind of figured this as the Congress for New Urbanism has participated heavily in the development of the standards.

I also agree and understand the second portion of this reply, more asphalt for the sake of more asphalt can't be that good.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I registered for passthleed.com. The passing score is 170 on a weighted scale of 125-180. They indicated on their website that anyone scoring 169 points or less can retake the older exams as often as needed to pass. I am taking the LEED-NC 2.2 2008 exam on 4/10. Since I registered for the older exam before then March 31st deadline, can I take the exam again if I fail? Is the deadline for passing the exam at the end of June?

Why does it take GBCI a month to respond to e-mails? I have tried calling their office (and USGBC) with little to no success.

Thanks-

Family Guy

Registered
    Sep 2001

Why does it take GBCI a month to respond to e-mails? I have tried calling their office (and USGBC) with little to no success.

Thanks-
    so there is now another professional "not for profit" association that is unresponsive to member's needs, wonder where I've heard that complaint by planners before?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    GBCI is actually flooded with calls primarily from architects. Unlike APA, GBCI/USGBC is responsive to everyone (architects, engineers, landscape architects, planners, etc.).

On a separate note, i rescheduled to take the exam from 4/10 to 6/26. I am not in good enough shape to pass the exam on the first try in less than 2 weeks. Of course, I will be spending that 3 months doing other FUN stuff besides study

Family Guy

Registered
    Feb 2007
    GBCI has extended the deadline from today March 31 to April 1st. FYI
    No Signature Required

pete

Applications to take examination ver2.2 closed 03 31 09, with those registered before this date having until 06 30 09 to take the 2 hour test.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. LEED Professional?
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Jul 2012, 10:23 PM
  2. Future of LEED
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 15 Sep 2010, 5:37 PM
  3. LEED AP
    Environmental Planning