Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Winslow, AZ

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Winslow, AZ

Aside from the recently renovated La Posada Hotel and the famous corner, Winslow doesn't seem to be doing so well these days. It has a ton of potential, though, and I can see it becoming much more of a destination in the future than it is now.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Didn't there used to be a mural of "there's a girl, my Lord, in a flat-bed Ford slowin' down to take a look at me" on one of the buildings opposite of the "standin' on a corner" - I remember seeing a picture of it somewhere.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    The mural's on the wall behind the statue. You can see it in the first and second pictures here.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    This is an interesting picture.

Looks like something you could expect to see in Iraq or Afghanistan. That appears to be a bunker of some type.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I visited Winslow Arizona on my cross country travel in the US. I have to say i was quite disappointed with the state of the town, although it seems to be the case all along route 66 that we went on (except for Oklahoma!). And yes i was one of those people in front of the dude standing on the corner! I love The Eagles!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    I visited Winslow Arizona on my cross country travel in the US. I have to say i was quite disappointed with the state of the town, although it seems to be the case all along route 66 that we went on (except for Oklahoma!). And yes i was one of those people in front of the dude standing on the corner! I love The Eagles!
    A LOT of little town centers went into decline like that when the then new interstates (mostly) bypassed them. When the new highway opened, the traveler-related commercial activity followed it out to the main interchange on the town's fringe. It was and remains a bit sad, but those little towns clearly were impediments to nationwide commerce, some with truly intolerable levels of through traffic on their main streets, and there really was little choice but to bypass them.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2007
    The downtown definately looks like it has real potential. Lots of good looking buildings ripe for revitalization. The city is right off of I-40, so the location isn't too bad.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well.....

If Winslow couldn't pull itself up between 1993 and 2008, when will it?
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    It did start, and seems to have made a bit of progress, which can be seen in the photos especially around the train station, but the economic downturn is likely to set it back a long way.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Winslow is being a suburb of Flagstaff since the housing prices in Flag are so high. Even with the decline in home prices people still cannot afford to live their and Winslows is just 30 miles down the road.

Winslow did a great job in restoring the old La Posada hotel...its an exampl of AZ lottery dollars at work...
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

+ Reply to thread