Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noodles

Registered
    Aug 2005

Noodles

(I misread BUN's thread name and was inspired.)

I like vermicelli noodles the best, especially when accompanied by yummy Vietnamese fish sauce or peanut sauce. Can you tell I haven't yet had lunch?

Are you a soba lover? Spaghetti? Shirataki?

Countdown to death of thread: 3...2...1...
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I like spaghetti. We generally have it every Friday. My preference is chicken and mushrooms with lots of noodles and not a lot of red sauce.

I also like to eat medium egg noodles with a buttery garlic sauce.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Not a good thread to read right before lunch. I LOVE noodles of all sorts. My "speciality" is baked spag. with ground italian sausage. I make my own sauce. Yummmm! I think I may make that tonight for dinner.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    Not a good thread to read right before lunch.
    On the contrary that's the PERFECT time for this thread.

I hope this isn't making anyone hungry?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    I am also not afraid of noodles.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I am also not afraid of noodles.
    I have a friend who is afraid of ketchup. WEIRDO! (her, not you. well, i really don't know you that well, so maybe you are a weirdo.)
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    D@mn, I just finished my bland Subway sandwich when I saw that delicious bowl of pasta - thanks Maister

I like angel hair or penne the best, however vermicelli and fettichini are pretty good as well!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2002
    The best chinese dish is Singapore Rice Noodles. I like pasta of all kinds though.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I have a friend who is afraid of ketchup. WEIRDO! (her, not you. well, i really don't know you that well, so maybe you are a weirdo.)
    My wife works with someone deathly afraid of...bananas.

No noodle phobia here...wonder if needles made of noodles would help me...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ooooh, I had spicy lo mein for lunch yesterday! Can't wait to try that restaurant again - Chinese restaurant that plays country music.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    Ooooh, I had spicy lo mein for lunch yesterday! Can't wait to try that restaurant again - Chinese restaurant that plays country music.
    First spaghetti westerns and now tofu c&w. What a country!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Noddle Phobia here - to many carbs ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I LOVE noodles... all kinds. Hmm, maybe I should pick up some take-out chow fun tonight.

I know a dog named Noodles. Really.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

Gaaah! That looks like a worm sticking up out of the food.

In other news: I like homemade spaetzle (which I accidentally referred to as "strudel" in some thread eons ago and was teased for it, probably by Maister). And organic noodles with sea salt and organic butter and spices....or other variations of that. Yum.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Once Upon A Time In Cyburbia

A comment not related to the intent of this thread.....

The term "noodles" always reminds me of the super movie from the 1980s, Once Upon A Time In America. One of my all-time favorites.

The main character......played as an adult by Robert DeNero.....is named "Noodles". I strongly encourage you to rent and watch this film.

Caution.....some versions were chopped and edited so much that the story cannot be followed. Do some research to make sure your version is the original.

Not a caution.....Jennifer Connelly was in this flick....perhaps about 13 years old. A cute teen sure morphed into a scrumptious woman.

But enough about that.....

Bear

Here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8ZO-UZjN7o
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I like noodles, but it's a rare treat because as JNA pointed out they reside in the category of carb overload. I like Asian noodles best with veggies and shrimp or chicken. Thin spaghetti or angel hair/vermicelli and egg noodles with stroganoff.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2003
    A common dinner in our house:

Angel hair pasta, cooked al dente in beef broth, then tossed with sauted sweet onions and shitake mushroom, a little e.v. olive oil, then topped with fresh parm and a little crushed red peper [and sometimes green onions]. simple, easy, on the cheaper side (depending on how many mushrooms you put, and you can sub for a cheaper type if want). Also, for veggies out there, you can sub beef broth for a veggis broth. still good
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I love egg noodles with thai hot peanut sauce.

Last night I had ricatti (sp?) with a red sauce labelled "hot and spicey". The label was an understatement. The acid reflux kept reminding me how much I love that sauce!

Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    My wife works with someone deathly afraid of...bananas.
    How would she feel about banana slugs?

By coincidence, we went to Wagamama's last night. I had udon noodles.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    How would she feel about banana slugs?

By coincidence, we went to Wagamama's last night. I had udon noodles.
    Oh, yeah, Wagamama's has some good noodles. If it wasn't for the price I'd be there a lot.

My in-laws won't eat pasta unless its spaghetti. "These noodles don't look like the ones we usually eat..." Good thing my side of the family has its own quirks,

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear is a noodle lover.

My Dad always made the bestest homemade noodles for chicken soup and Czernina (duck blood soup). I have made the big bruin-size noodles myself. A very-similar item can be found in the frozen food section of my local grocery.....easy to slip into a big pot of Bear's chicken soup.

Note: I did make Czernina (regional Toledo-area pronunciation "chod-nee-nah") a couple times, using homemade noodles. I grew-up with this ethnic dish.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    They'd been in town for several years but I only recently tried eating lunch at Noodles & Company. It was actually pretty good. Hard to screw up noodles, I know. They divide their menu into Mediterranean (e.g. fetuccini alfredo), Asian (e.g. pad Thai), and American style (e.g. chili mac) noodles.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Noodles & Company are all over the place in Colorado (based there). Used to go there all the time when I lived there. I'm a big fan of their Pesto Cavatappi.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I wish I had some noodles.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    When Mrs. Tranplanner and I were in Vancouver a few months ago we noticed this restaurant near our hotel that always had a lineup outside, so we made sure to try it one night. The menu consisted entirely of handmade ramen noodles in different broths. Oh. My. God. It was so good. I am stoked that I will be heading back on business at least twice this year.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast