Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Law degree or urban design/architecture degree?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2009

Law degree or urban design/architecture degree?

I am off to Albany in the fall to pursue the Masters in Urban Planning with a specialization in Environmental/Land Use Planning... Albany offers a 4 year joint degree program with there law school for the MRP/JD degree program... I have been considering this but since albany law school isnt in the top 100 and is tier 3 i dont know if it would be smart to do it, but than again I dont know because I know some people who went there and said it was alright... The other thing I wanted to do was finish the Masters in Urban Planning degree (2 years) and than either try to get into the City College of New Yorks Masters in Archtecture program or their Urban Design program, but the thing is I dont have to much design/drawing experience so I dont know how I would go about making a good portfolio... I was thinking of taking a few architecture/drawing/design courses at the Rensellaers Polytechnic Institute which has an architecture program because Albany allows students to take some electives there. I guess before I make this decision I wanted to know from anyone in planning or has any advice to give, what would be a smarter degree to couple with my Masters in Urban Planning degree... A law degree from Albany Law or an Architectue or Urban Design degree... and if urban design or arch is the degree are my chances of getting into these programs good enough? Any advice is much appreciated, thanks.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    What do you want to do after school? From my limited experience, it seems that the firms that hire MUP/JDs do a lot of work writing regulatory documents. Or of course, you could get into land use law. If that's not what you want to end up doing, then there's certainly no point in doing a JD. If you really want the hands on work of designing spaces, then you should go for the design stuff. Maybe you should try to volunteer in both types of firms this school year and figure out what you like best... Everybody loves a volunteer!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Unless you absolutely HAVE to get your law degree then dont do it. It is expensive and depending on what you want to do when you are done, you probably wont need it. Be very careful.
    "Inside Joke"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2009
    But than is getting an MArch after the MRP a complete waste of time and money? I am willing to work hard I just want to make sure I do the right thing... I want to develop and build green communities and buildings... is that even what Urban Planners with a specialization in Environmental and Land use planning do?

Registered
    May 2009
    As someone who knows a lot of law students and has considered it many times heed the following.

(In America) Law school is very competitive. Everyone is competing for jobs after school and these jobs usually go to the top of the class. Next, law school is very expensive, and unless you know you want to be a lawyer, it is not worth it. Law school is stressful and hard, I have seen many good student get broken down to dust. Lastly, unless you get into a good law school, and even then, graduates must compete for the best jobs, and sometimes even the bad jobs.

BUT, if you know all of this and you still want to do it, go ahead, it is not my job to stop you. I just think a lot of people get their JD when they have no idea what it is about.

Cheers

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm....

Have you thought about Astronomy? That could provide a fun hobby once you graduate?

Why not save the $$ and get a PhD then you won't have to deal with the "real" world anymore and become a professor Not to mention that you get to stay in school for another four years at least
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 15 Aug 2012, 11:31 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Aug 2009, 10:52 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 04 Jul 2009, 6:11 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Feb 2009, 2:09 AM
  5. Replies: 3