Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Virginia Tech - Blacksburg

Registered
    Apr 2009

Virginia Tech - Blacksburg

Hey -
    Do we have any students out there from VA Tech - Blacksburg who can comment about the school? I've heard good things about the Alexandria campus, but not much about Blacksburg and am wondering how people found the faculty, coursework, etc.
    Thoughts?

Registered
    Feb 2009
    VT's program is rarely discussed here. Oddly enough, I think I've seen more mention of the Alexandria program than Blacksburg. I don't really understand the lack of representation; everyone I've spoken to has said it is one of the strongest programs on the east coast, especially in land use and environmental issues. I'm guessing that it's a function of the small size of the program (I think about 30 enroll each year) and the fact that proto-planners more oriented toward big cities might be turned off by the idea of studying in a small mountain town in western VA...

I can't speak to the program's specific strengths (yet) but I will be starting my MURP in Blacksburg this coming August. I will say that I chose VT over a very appealing offer from UVA and a tempting but financially impractical chance to attend UNC. When I met with the dept. chair last month, I was really impressed. They seem to be really geared toward using new technology to advance planning techniques, especially in land use and related issues. They also seem to have a strong understanding of how water resource and energy issues are going to shape planning in the coming years, whether we like it or not.

I'll definitely be reporting on my experiences at VT in the coming months. Until then, I'm just super excited to be going back to school and studying issues I really care about.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

I am a VT grad...

Although I went through in the early 90s I'd say it is a good program...and living there's not so bad either -- there's lots to do (and even more to drink -- though I don't know if TON 80 or Hokie House are still in operation).

It is a small program, and that makes for good friends.

RES
    "Sometimes you have to get medieval with it...hammer, sparks, sweat, the whole nine yards...so don't forget your asbestos suit."
    Aphorisms on Public Hearings, Planning Guild Handbook (2001).

I'd be curious to hear more about this program as well. I've met quite a few VT alumni and yet as someone mentioned earlier, it's rarely discussed here. When it is discussed, it's about the program in Alexandria, which if I'm not mistaken, is designed for mid-career professionals who wish to attend part-time. I don't believe that that applies to most grad school applicants here (though I could be wrong).

As for the Blacksburg / New River Valley / Roanoke area, well I've been there. Yes it is a quiet area. Yes it is out in the boondocks but in terms of natural scenery and beauty you just can't beat it, especially in the eastern part of the country. The only place I know that might be comparable is the Charlottesville / University of Virginia area further up the road from Virginia Tech (UVA is another rarely discussed program here). If you appreciate or enjoy nature in any way, I don't see how you could be displeased with Blacksburg and the surrounding area.

No thoughts?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Virginia Tech Shootings
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 77
    Last post: 20 Apr 2007, 9:32 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 04 Apr 2007, 11:37 AM
  3. MLA at Virginia Tech
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1