Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New car review - and it's not from the Onion

Registered
    Mar 2004

New car review - and it's not from the Onion

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle6294116.ece

I'd hate to say it, but it seems to me like there are going to be a LOT more fun-to-read reviews like this one coming out in the next few years with the CAFE-on-Steroids™ rules that are about to come down from on high here in the USofA.

Sad....

(Note: I was thinking of starting a 'NEVERENDING New Car' thread, but I didn't think that this review would be a good one to start it off with. MGK )

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2001
    That's sad to read. The CVT actually works on "traditional" Hondas. (what are we supposed to call gas powered-only cars now?) Having worked a few years building engines and transmissions, working quality control, and having a BF's father in charge of QC, I can understand the issues (I think). My friend's father said "never buy a first year of production vehicle." The bugs are not worked out. I suspect that may be the insight case. They are targeting market share with a low price, and cut corners. Too bad. Honda was had a strong track record.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    That's sad to read. The CVT actually works on "traditional" Hondas.
    CVT works great on the Ford 500/Taurus as well. Really help push the MPG up from the previous model, when you cansider it is much larger than the car it replaced thats remarkable.

CVT is not exactly new technology, its been in the development stages since the late 19980's. Several cars have that type of trans though I have no idea on how to get a complete list of the cars.

I'm sorry to hear this car is that bad. I love all of the technology that has gone into Hybrids and am looking forward to the next generation (Chevy Volt 100 mpg) To be honest, this Honda looks like a blatant rip-off of the Prius, only on crack. While still better looking than the previous one (who puts wheel skirts on any car but an Oldsmobile!?!), it is not exactly a thrilling design.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The comments were pretty entertaining from the readers. Apparently the author and the readers are not familiar with the reliability track record of recent VWs in the U.S.

I'm seeing a lot of wasted money in the auto industry on glurgy crap like the growing leaves and such. All they really need is a display for the MPG for the tank of gas, and the immediate MPG. And then there was that rediculous looking wheelchair with a windshield GM showed off about two months ago. I think the auto companies are over-thinking on how to achieve higher MPG.

I've never been a fan of the CVT. I suspect it's for the same reason many Europeans don't like it--they spent most of their lives driving stick shifts. I can see what they are talking about with it feeling like the clutch is slipping.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    The comments were pretty entertaining from the readers. Apparently the author and the readers are not familiar with the reliability track record of recent VWs in the U.S.

I've never been a fan of the CVT. I suspect it's for the same reason many Europeans don't like it--they spent most of their lives driving stick shifts. I can see what they are talking about with it feeling like the clutch is slipping.
    i love my VW and if / when i need to buy a new car have every intention of buying another one. the new TDI gets as good or better mileage than the prius and it actually looks good. there is even a TDI wolfsberg edition with a 6-speed!!

it is a shame that its honda putting its foot in its mouth with this one since they historically have made such great cars.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmm.....

I really like the CVT in my car (as long as it still works), which happens to be an automatic 2.4L V4. It's been programmed to make a slight jolt to make it feel like it's shifting for all those dolts out there who prefer living in the past. A 1.3L tiny engine is not going to get good performance reviews anyway, regardless of transmission type.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Thanks for sharing

Can't read beyond the first page of the link, as I'm laughing too hard.

Growing leaves, really?!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Some Saturn's have/had CVT.
    I think my 2004 ION has it.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by cellophane View post
    i love my VW and if / when i need to buy a new car have every intention of buying another one. the new TDI gets as good or better mileage than the prius and it actually looks good. there is even a TDI wolfsberg edition with a 6-speed!!

it is a shame that its honda putting its foot in its mouth with this one since they historically have made such great cars.
    This is what makes me mad--I love the TDI engines, but my experience with VW has indicated that the rest of the vehicle has some QC issues. That said, perhaps I need to give them a second chance since I think my assessment is from a 2001 or 2002 model. It's what kept me from buying a Golf TDI a few years ago.

I'm sure the CVT is something I could get used to, but it just feels really weird.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    This is what makes me mad--I love the TDI engines, but my experience with VW has indicated that the rest of the vehicle has some QC issues. That said, perhaps I need to give them a second chance since I think my assessment is from a 2001 or 2002 model. It's what kept me from buying a Golf TDI a few years ago.

I'm sure the CVT is something I could get used to, but it just feels really weird.
    the last time i had my car (2002 TDI Jetta) in for service i was talking to the owner and he said they never see the TDI's in for service other than minor things (belts, glow plugs, standard maintenance) i have a few minor complaints about my car at the moment but i think most are just related to regular wear and tear. i wouldnt buy something that isnt a TDI and i wouldnt buy their new truck looking thing or that weird mini-van but the golf, jetta and passat are all pretty solid cars from my experience.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    CAFE, like diesel fuel standards currently in place, will only hurt the American auto consumer's options.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    CAFE, like diesel fuel standards currently in place, will only hurt the American auto consumer's options.
    That and the fact that after the recent shenanigans alot of folks won't buy from People's Automotive Collective #1 or People's Automotive Collective #2 (my previous usual choice) for any reason.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Jeremy Clarkson is a crack up- i enjoy watching Top Gear, cause he makes car things easy to understand and funny and straight to the point.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    A 1.3L tiny engine is not going to get good performance reviews anyway, regardless of transmission type.
    On most hybrids the gasoline engine only kicks in once you hit freeway speeds and set the car for cruise. This is why they have better gras milage for City driving as opposed to Highway. An engine only need be big enough to keep the car in motion at highway speeds. I've seen this car, its not as big as the Prius (much narrower) so I would assume a 1.3 would be fine. This is not much smaller than some of the VW engine's of the early 80's. I seem to remember the base Horizon having a 1.8 liter VW and it was a much larger econobox than this thing.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 28 Jul 2005, 3:19 PM
  2. Drive by onion-ing?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Feb 2005, 5:22 PM
  3. Another Classic from The Onion
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Jun 2004, 6:46 PM