Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Vegemite Banned in US???

Registered
    May 2009

Vegemite Banned in US???

A friend of mine was going to send me a jar of Vegemite, but when she went to the post office they told her that it was banned in the United States. I talked to the local Post Office and they said tht it was not banned. I just wonder why the Austrilian Postal Service says that it is. I really do need the Vegemite for Vacation Bible School which starts on May 31th. Can someone tell me if I can buy Vegemite in the USA?

     
    Registered
    May 2008

Vegemite Availability in the USA

Shelia,

All of the postal authorities are increasingly restrictive with certain food goods being sent through the mail. There is not a "Vegemite Embargo" but more likely the refusal is explained as a food product or gel item that could represent a hazard.

Unbelieveably, Vegemite is now owned by the Kraft Corporation (yes, the people that create the boxed mac and cheese...and cheese wiz). I have found Vegemite on the grocery shelf of smaller natural health food stores and grocery stores. I'm confident that you will be able to find the product.

Best wishes,

Siskiyou

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    The truth, according to the Snopes.com urban legend site: http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/vegemite.asp

(Admittedly, the report dates from 2006, so the situation may have changed since then.)

Registered
    Mar 2009
    I was under the impression, The US food administration does not allow added foliate to their foods only in drinks and vitamin supplements

well thats what I heard awhile back

Moderator note:
    Gedunker ~
    I've looked and looked, but I just don't see where there is a planning component to this thread. Moved from the Planning in Australia subforum to the FAC. Thank you. Carry on.
    Je suis Charlie

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    It may or may not be banned, but it is impossible to find in any stores in Canada. Not sure why. Marmite (the better UK equivalent ) is still widely available.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Shelia View post
    A friend of mine was going to send me a jar of Vegemite, but when she went to the post office they told her that it was banned in the United States. I talked to the local Post Office and they said tht it was not banned. I just wonder why the Austrilian Postal Service says that it is. I really do need the Vegemite for Vacation Bible School which starts on May 31th. Can someone tell me if I can buy Vegemite in the USA?
    Gaffney....home of the big peach in the sky Try this site based in Washington State http://www.simplyoz.com/
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 39
    Last post: 27 Oct 2006, 9:06 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 12 Aug 2006, 1:02 AM
  3. raven banned
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Jun 2005, 11:53 PM
  4. Have you ever been BANNED?
    Friday Afternoon Club