Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Getting into the planning field

Getting into the planning field

I have a BS in Marketing and currently in school for my MBA. However, I've had some insight into the planning field, particularly transportation planning, and I wanted to find out more information about the career before making any major investments/career moves towards this field. I've had a serious interest in this type of work since I was a teenager, but I went the business way instead, graduating with a BS in Marketing. Of course, I still felt it was a valuable degree, but I would like for it to help me now.

The question is simple: what are some options for me to enter the planning field with my background? Would it be worthy to finish my MBA, get another degree in Urban Planning, or switch to another degree altogether? What are ways I could network to get more information about this career, or even to work PT in this career field?

Thanks for the heads up!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Marketing IS a valuable degree in many aspects of planning. I don't have alot of transportation experience, but I am sure your skills will not be lost. My advice - Finish the MBA, there is alot of crossover there too. Best way to network is go to state confrences. A few years back, I hired a VERY bright person that walked up to me, fresh out of school, and handed me a resume. Jude, if you are on Cyburbia, I hope you and the family are doing well.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 26 Apr 2012, 2:21 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Feb 2010, 5:32 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 May 2008, 12:32 PM
  4. How can I start my planning field
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Sep 2007, 5:12 PM