Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Architectural requirements

Registered
    Aug 2001

Architectural requirements

I have seen the threads related to regulating monotony and exterior appearance. Our ordinance is not perfect. We have tried the cafeteria approach allowing the developers to choose 4 out of 8 architectural "features". (Gables, divided light windows, split garage doors, etc) This seems to work fairly well. Any one have examples of ordinances that are similar and have additional architectural requirements.

I have seem the point system as a way to prioritize these features, such as the gables receive ten points while the divided light only receives five points, the goal being a total of 40 points or so, Has anyone had any luck with this type of system.

Currently we have builders being upset at our ordinance ( surprise), and wanting change. We are looking at some changes but at this point we are not willing to through the baby out with the bathwater.

If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it.

TIA

Registered
    May 2004
    Poncho! How u doing man?

Check out this ordinance for ideas on design features (specifically the architecture section). Its not similar in the same point type system- but you could adopt more options for developers to use.

http://www.codepublishing.com/WA/Gig...799.html#17.99

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Architectural blunders
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 14 Dec 2011, 8:27 PM
  2. Architectural standards and politics
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 18 Aug 2007, 2:54 PM
  3. Architectural Mystery