Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: LED sign codes

Registered
    Jan 2009

LED sign codes

Does anyone know a good code to regulate LED sign codes. Our city wants to put what amounts to a TV screen along the street. It only gets used to advertise city things, but since the city has no regulation to message speed, etc. I need to create something for when the private developers want these signs.
    Thanks

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't have a good code, the last jurisdiction I worked in handled them as conditional uses. My only real recommendation -- make them DIM the light intensity at dusk. Some drivers can't handle the intensity and - especially at intersections - that is dangerous.

Here's our Code:

CHANGEABLE ELECTRONIC VARIABLE MESSAGE SIGN (CEVMS) - shall mean a sign which permits light to be turned on or off intermittently or which is operated in a way whereby light is turned on or off intermittently, including any illuminated sign on which such illumination is not kept stationary or constant in intensity and color at all times when such sign is in use, including an LED (light emitting diode) or digital sign, and which varies in intensity or color. A CEVMS sign does not include a sign located within the right-of-way that functions as a traffic control device and that is described and identified in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) approved by the Federal Highway Administrator as the National Standard.

The following signs shall be prohibited:
    1. Billboards. . This includes, but is not limited to, the prohibition of any off-premise CEVMS, commercial or non-commercial, or the conversion of an existing non-CEVMS off-premise commercial sign or off-premise non-commercial sign to an off-premise CEVMS.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    check your state DOT sign provisions.They might well have standards

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Thanks, I prefer to ban them entirely, but it's a city project. Also, our state DOT allows signs that run like commercials - If that meets their standard, I think I can do better. Thanks for the tip on the light.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Does anyone know a good code to regulate LED sign codes. Our city wants to put what amounts to a TV screen along the street. It only gets used to advertise city things, but since the city has no regulation to message speed, etc. I need to create something for when the private developers want these signs.
    Thanks
    Gross. I hate those signs, they really bother my eyes under low light, as mentioned. And they're just tacky. Bummer that your city wants to be the first to put one up.

With that said, in a former community I worked for, we permitted LED signs but with ordinance standards the message could only change once per day. Along with a provision that the LED area could only occupy 25% of permitted sign face area, it effectively limited the amount of LED signs we saw proposed, because the sign would just be too expensive for a business owner to justify. Maybe you could convince the city council that they don't need to go huge with it or only change the message a few times per day?

Where I work now, the message can change every 8 seconds, which is a bit of an eyesore when I'm riding my bike along the lake and spot one of the d@mn things. Hmmm, upcoming ordinance rewrite, hmmmm....

Registered
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Thanks
    Check with your state DOT. Indiana has strict regulations regarding LED signs and we used them as part of our Billboard Ordinance.

Registered
    May 2002
    I just wrote a sign ordinance that has been recommended for approval by our PC. Electronic signs are just another form of changeable copy. As long as they don't exceed 30% of the area of the sign's face, it doesn't need BoA approval. What you described obviously exceeds that.

In regards to your timing, my ordinance mandates that a message must stay up for at least 60 seconds. This is related to safety issues for drivers. If messages flash at too fast a rate, drivers spend more time watching the sign than they do the road. For this reason, we've banned movement and flashing lights and/or pictures.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I agree, what an eyesore. But the most annoying version I have seen yet is in my fair city. We have a company that has purchased a fleet of box trucks and mounted large electronic signs on the rear and two sides. They sell advertising on the signs and just drive all around town. Disgusting!!! And they are soooo environmentally responsible. My wife gets sick of hearing me cuss the stupid things.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards Sign codes
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Jul 2009, 7:33 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Dec 2008, 5:17 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 23 May 2007, 12:36 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Mar 2007, 11:43 AM