Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: Where does your state/commonwealth stand?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • State house with governor's mansion

4 23.53%
  • State house with no governor's mansion

1 5.88%
  • State capitol with governor's mansion

8 47.06%
  • State capitol with no governor's mansion

0 0%
  • Separate executive and legislative buildings with governor's mansion

3 17.65%
  • Separate executive and legislative buildings with no governor's mansion

1 5.88%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Questions about State Capitals and Capitols

Registered
    Mar 2005

Questions about State Capitals and Capitols

Rhode Island has no governor's mansion and the executive and legislative branches are housed in same building, the State House. Massachusetts is the same. A couple governors have gotten in trouble for using state resources (i.e. state police helicopter) to commute.

North Carolina has a governor's mansion and the two branches of government have separate buildings, the state capitol and the legislative building.

How about your state?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Michigan has a Capitol building and not one, but two governor's mansions. One is in Lansing and the summer mansion is on Mackinac Island.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michiga...39;s_Residence
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Single capitol building with a governor's mansion here. Doesn't really matter though - all legislating in California is done by special interests via ballot intiatives. The legislature is just there to scream extreme ideological viewpoints at each other, while the governor is just there to occasionally go on TV to try to convince voters to vote for specific ballot initiatives. Neither the legislature or the governor have any real power anymore. The buildings are cool though.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Helena has the old governor's mansion, which is now a museum. It is a fine and modestly impressive building. The current governor's mansion is a ranch-style house a few blocks from the capitiol.

Every Halloween kids trick-or-treat there. Always good for a photo op of the governor in costume.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2004

Wisconsin

Wisconsin's state capitol building has four wings (Assembly, Senate, Supreme Court and Governor) in a cross shape.

Also, the Governor's Mansion isn't even in Madison, it's in a suburb.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Michigan has a Capitol building and not one, but two governor's mansions. One is in Lansing and the summer mansion is on Mackinac Island.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michiga...39;s_Residence
    I know there is a Governor's house, but is it actually part of State Govt? I'm pretty sure her office is in the Capitol.

Never mind, Wikipiedia says it is listed in the constitution, normally I don't take Wiki as gospel, but why would I really Care?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    New York has a state capitol building with legislative chambers. It's really a beautiful building with an interesting history. I remember touring the capitol when I was a kid. Virtual tour available here.

The Governor's Mansion isn't far away.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I'm not sure how to respond to the question, here in Texas. The Governor's Mansion was damaged by an arsonist last year and isn't in use at the moment, I think.

I know Indiana has one. While originally planned to be built inside Monument Circle in downtown Indianapolis, an early governor's wife didn't like the idea of hanging laundry to dry outside the mansion, with downtown all around the property. It was actually built north of downtown near Meridian Street at 46th Street.

I know Arizona does not have one. I think Janet Napolitano called where she lived as the "Executive Condo".

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post

I know Indiana has one. While originally planned to be built inside Monument Circle in downtown Indianapolis, an early governor's wife didn't like the idea of hanging laundry to dry outside the mansion, with downtown all around the property. It was actually built north of downtown near Meridian Street at 46th Street.

Here is the link to the Wiki article about the Indiana Governor's Residence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana...%27s_Residence

The Indiana State House houses the office of the Governor, the State General Assembly, and the State Supreme Court. The State House is located in downtown Indianapolis.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    Single capitol building with a governor's mansion here. Doesn't really matter though - all legislating in California is done by special interests via ballot intiatives. The legislature is just there to scream extreme ideological viewpoints at each other, while the governor is just there to occasionally go on TV to try to convince voters to vote for specific ballot initiatives. Neither the legislature or the governor have any real power anymore. The buildings are cool though.
    Nix the governor's mansion. It doesn't exist anymore. The original governor's mansion is now a museum, and the 2nd mansion, built for the Regan's hasn't seen a sitting governor in over 12 years and was sold 2 years ago. The defacto "governor's mansion" is now the Grand Hyatt Regency Hotel across the street from the capitol.
    No Signature Required

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Nix the governor's mansion. It doesn't exist anymore. The original governor's mansion is now a museum, and the 2nd mansion, built for the Regan's hasn't seen a sitting governor in over 12 years and was sold 2 years ago. The defacto "governor's mansion" is now the Grand Hyatt Regency Hotel across the street from the capitol.
    I didn't know it was actually sold. Interesting. Probably helped balance the budget a couple years ago, as maybe selling the Cow Palace will this year. I've been to the old one (the museum) a few times.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Northern Michigan

The Northern Michigan State Capitol is located a few miles north of De Noc's CBD. Towering over the Capitol, a quarter-mile to the west, is the Northern Michigan State Office Building.

The Governor's Mansion is located on the north shore of Green Lake, in the northeastern section of De Noc.

Bear

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    New Mexico's capitol is popularly called the Roundhouse, because it's round. It houses both the legislature and the executive offices. There is also a Governor's Mansion, where the governor lives. Both buildings have functions originally served by the Palace of the Governors, one of the oldest buildings in the United States (built in 1610). It's now a history museum.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    ...[snip]... and the 2nd mansion, built for the Regan's hasn't seen a sitting governor in over 12 years and was sold 2 years ago.....[snip]....l.
    "Reagan"

As I recall, when Governor-elect Jerry Brown saw the Governor's mansion (located along the American River (?) and I'm not sure it was finished by the time Reagan left office), he compared it to a Safeway grocery store and instead rented a cheap-ass apartment downtown--driving an old Plymouth to and from work (between banging Linda Rondstadt).

Oh, this was a poll? I have no clue about Florida's governor's mansion.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 20 May 2009 at 9:03 PM. Reason: Explained by a TO moment

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2009

South Carolina

South Carolina has a state house and a governor's mansion right in downtown Columbia. They both have an interesting history. The current state house is the third one built for SC - the first one was in Charleston, then when the capital moved to Columbia in the late 1700's, a second one was built until General Sherman in the Civil War rolled through town and destroyed it. It took a while for the state house to be rebuilt again since SC went into deep poverty after the Civil War. When they started to rebuild, ironically, this third state house was also set on fire, but to my understanding didn't completely destroy it. However it did take over 40 years to come up with funding and fully build the new place, and that state house is our current one today.

There's been lots of renovations and it's beautiful inside. Maybe I can find pictures when I get the chance.

The Governor's Mansion is post-war being built in 1855. I'm not sure if there was a mansion for the governor before then.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    AZ has no governors mansion. The legislature has a building for the House and one for the Senate. The governor has an office on the ninth floor of the executive tower where the part of the bureaucracy is housed.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by truthteller4life View post

The Governor's Mansion is post-war being built in 1855. I'm not sure if there was a mansion for the governor before then.
    1855 is ante-bellum. Post war usually refers to post 1945.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Annapolis has the State House and governor's mansion in close proximity. Too close, perhaps.

The State House dates from the 17th century, while the Governor's Mansion is a 19th century house redesigned sometime in the 20th century to resemble a colonial mansion. It's a handsome place, but I can't say the same about the current inhabitants.

Annapolis a beautiful little town that suffers from being the state capitol.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    In New Jersey, the Governor's Mansion is not in Trenton, just up the road in Princeton.
    And it is named - Drumthwacket -
    two Scottish Gaelic words that mean “wooded hill”.
    http://www.drumthwacket.org/index.html

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 11:32 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Apr 2010, 10:34 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 29 Nov 2006, 9:33 AM
  4. Replies: 40
    Last post: 14 Nov 2006, 6:08 PM
  5. States and Capitals