Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What is recreation?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

What is recreation?

Webster’s Dictionary says the following
    rec•re•a•tion
    Pronunciation: \ˌre-krē-ˈā-shən\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English recreacion, from Anglo-French, from Latin recreation-, recreatio restoration to health, from recreare to create anew, restore, refresh, from re- + creare to create
    Date: 15th century
    : refreshment of strength and spirits after work ; also : a means of refreshment or diversion
    I think that everyone has a very different idea on what they would call recreation. As an example, I plan on taking up fishing, gardening, and working on beer making. When I reach a point where I can have an entire meal that was caught or created by me, then I will enjoy it even more. Each of those activities (cooking, gardening, fishing, beer making) are not intended to be stressful venture and can produce a tangible result. However many forms of recreation don’t produce a tangible result. For example, knowing that I can out-ski Z-man is a wonderful form of recreation… or watching the Wings score an OT goal to win game two against the Chicago yellowchicks, is not a bad form of recreation.

What is your idea of recreation? What forms of recreation would you like to partake in more often? Tell us about your ideal recreational goals. (Like my meal off the grid)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I think that everyone has a very different idea on what they would call recreation.
    I don't. I pretty much agree with the Webster's Dictionary definition. It works for me.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    Webster’s Dictionary says the following

I think that everyone has a very different idea on what they would call recreation. As an example, I plan on taking up fishing, gardening, and working on beer making. When I reach a point where I can have an entire meal that was caught or created by me, then I will enjoy it even more. Each of those activities (cooking, gardening, fishing, beer making) are not intended to be stressful venture and can produce a tangible result. However many forms of recreation don’t produce a tangible result. For example, knowing that I can out-ski Z-man is a wonderful form of recreation… or watching the Wings score an OT goal to win game two against the Chicago yellowchicks, is not a bad form of recreation.

What is your idea of recreation? What forms of recreation would you like to partake in more often? Tell us about your ideal recreational goals. (Like my meal off the grid)

Knowing that I can out-ski AND out beer-make you is a wonderful form of recreation for me

Personally I am always so busy with things- be they recreation or not- that I would like to partake in chilling on my back patio doing nothing more often.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    . However many forms of recreation don’t produce a tangible result. For example, knowing that I can out-ski Z-man is a wonderful form of recreation…
    And 20 yrs ago I would have able to keep up with both of you and knowingly stablize your injuries after a fall.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Recreation is when you actually do something. Entertainment is when you watch others do it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Parks and Recreation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 May 2010, 8:22 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Mar 2010, 1:49 PM
  3. TV Show - Parks and Recreation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 96
    Last post: 08 May 2009, 5:31 PM