Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: PhD programs in Transportation Planning.

Registered
    Feb 2007

PhD programs in Transportation Planning.

Greetings!

I am finishing up my first year of graduate school and looking towards applying for a PhD program next fall. Next spring I will be graduating with my MA in Urban Affairs and Public Policy specialization in urban & regional planning--- and a MCE in Civil Engineering, specialization in transportation infrastructure. My undergraduate major was civil engineering with a minor in history.

My interest is in transportation modeling with touches of equity and evacuation planning thrown in. I would like an intensive transportation planning program as what I have had to date has been quite lackluster.

The dilemma: I am in search of a fairly liberal civil engineering transportation program or a fairly technically advanced planning program. I am having difficulty locating these. Any suggestions?

As far as competitiveness, I don't consider myself an amazing student but I had maybe a 3.4ish in undergrad, am maintaining a 3.8-3.9 in graduate school(will have ~65 credits upon graduation), have research position in a nationally recognized research center, but sadly no publications. I have a handful of professors who are really encouraging the PhD route so I think I can assume that they will provide competent letters of rec.

I know that this might not be the best place for engineering recs, but anyone know of a similar forum for engineering grad school?

Many thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Check out RPI. I don't know that much about the program. I'm going to be starting my MRP at Albany this fall and I know planning students can take classes in their civil engineering department, which I believe offers a PhD. Civil Engineering students also can take classes in the planning department.

Not sure if that helps at all.

Best of luck!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Best transportation planning programs
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Jan 2014, 12:20 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 06 Sep 2009, 9:08 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Dec 2008, 4:10 PM