Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Just an undergrad looking for advise...

Registered
    May 2009

Just an undergrad looking for advise...

Hello all.

I am currently an undergraduate and I am debating on the best path to become a planner. So I have concocted the following questions in which advise would be most appreciated.

1. I am thinking of majoring in political science or geography, or perhaps both. Do you think one is better than the other?

2. My state (Washington) has one of the 14 accredited undergraduate planning schools, do you think it is possible to break into the field with just a bachelors?

So, that's about it, thanks.

I'm currently pursuing a B.S. in Community Planning at one of those 14 schools (Alabama A&M). I plan on going to grad school to get my Master's, but my thing is this - if you know that you want to go into planning, why not go ahead and study it at the undergraduate level?

I was a political science major when I first started college and I switched it to urban planning. Planning was more practical, more marketable, and hell it's what I wanted to do anyway. The only thing I could think of doing with my poly sci degree was go on to grad school for a Master's in Planning anyway.

I say go ahead and do it, man.

Cyburbian Plus Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY's avatar
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Jazzman View post
    ...if you know that you want to go into planning, why not go ahead and study it at the undergraduate level?

I was a political science major when I first started college and I switched it to urban planning. Planning was more practical, more marketable, and hell it's what I wanted to do anyway. The only thing I could think of doing with my poly sci degree was go on to grad school for a Master's in Planning anyway.

I say go ahead and do it, man.
    What he said.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    I definitely think it's possible to break into the field with just a bachelor's degree BUT it depends on what you want to do, where you want to be, etc. Also, it's becoming increasingly more difficult to break in without a master's. If you want to spend a couple of years working in local government in a small, rural area, you can probably do it without a master's degree (almost definitely). Check out the job applications for some of the communities where you might be interested in working. If you hate the idea of going rural, or want to work in the non-profit/private sector, you're probably best served by a master's degree. That being said, there's no reason not to get a bachelor's degree in the field as well if that's what you're really interested in... You never know what doors it might open!

Registered
    May 2009
    Thanks.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I just thought that if I went on to get my Masters that it might be a bit redundant. I also thought that getting some GIS experience in the geography department might be a good thing as well.

Cheers

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Please advise on CIP certification
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Oct 2010, 1:24 PM
  2. Hello, need advise.
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 May 2009, 7:35 PM
  3. GISers, please advise.