Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dual degree: MPA v. MBA?

Registered
    Apr 2009

Dual degree: MPA v. MBA?

Hey -

I'm going back to school next year to get my Master's degree and am considering doing a dual degree with either an MPA or MBA to increase my marketability. What do you all think? Has anyone done either one? My main concern is whether either would be restrictive or whether getting a MUP and an MPA would make you look to government focused?

Thoughts?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    What do you want to do when you finish school?
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Well, I want to work in planning! But I want to have the freedom to work in the private sector, public sector, non-proft, etc. Also may be interested in starting my own business at some point. I've worked in all three sectors and have owned my own business before so I know some of the benefits and drawbacks of all of them.

I like that MBAs and MPAs both focus on financing and people management much more than an MUP generally does but am wondering how people have found reactions to MBAs or MPAs in the work force or whether they have found them to really direct strongly towards one sector or another... Obviously some of this would depend on the program...

     
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    I have several friends with MPA degrees. I have a MCRP degree. There seems to be considerable overlap between the programs (at least at the university I attended), though the MPA is typically, of course, more policy oriented whereas the planning degree is typically a mix of policy and practicum. To me, the programs overlap to such an extent that I would think obtaining both would be a bit redundant. I would go for the MBA, especially seeing your interest in non-profit work (business knowledge is vital to the Director of a CDC) and starting your own business.

Others may disagree based on their own experiences at other universities.

Montannie, I'm struggling with this question, too. I'm juggling my career options because I also want to enter the planning field - specifically transportation planning if possible. I'm in the first year of my MBA right now (with a B.S. in Marketing). Someone told me already the MBA is valuable in planning, especially later down the career road.

I'm more interested in public service since I'm already working for the government now and I like the work, even though it's not in planning.

Since my graudation in the MBA is just under 2 years away, I'm starting now to research if the MUP or MURP degree is a logical step in the right direction, along with where good networking opportunities are. Any advice on schools or networking?

Also, anyone know what are some good schools which provide high levels of funding?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. MLA vs. MLA/MUP dual degree
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Aug 2007, 9:44 AM
  2. Worth getting a dual-degree?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 18 Oct 2006, 12:07 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 Aug 2006, 11:20 AM