Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parking in ports for semi-trucks

Registered
    May 2009

Parking in ports for semi-trucks

I am an architect working in a project in a Port down in Florida. This is for a big trucks after they left the load in the Port but I still need to planning if sometimes they still have the load. I have the dimensions but I need some help with the requirements for parking, circulation, radios. This is a 4 acres site and maybe I need specific percentages of green area etc. Spec for pavement?
    Thank you for any help! Online library?

Moderator note:
    Gedunker~
    I've edited your thread title a little to be more clear about the info you want. I think you'll get more replies with this title. Thanks!
    Last edited by Gedunker; 28 May 2009 at 11:19 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    A four acre site seems small for moving freight from truck to ship or vice-versa.

What level of activity do you expect? Will this be heavily used?

The use of hard surfaces are not recommended because of drainage. You do not want to fill your port with runoff from the trucks.

Your best bet would be to check out google maps and look for similar port facilities in that area. Then do some site visits to see how they handle moving trucks and feight.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Check FDOT's website for design standards. You have to account for the minimum turning radius, etc. I agree with DP, Four acres is not much especially if you have to include some buffer and/or landscaping. Even if you can get away with a pervious surface, you might still have to give up some land for drainage retention.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The thought that ran through my head was "Isn't this why you hire an engineer?"
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Uses Food trucks
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 8:20 AM
  2. Mobile food vendor trucks
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 29 Oct 2010, 9:43 PM
  3. Zoning for food catering trucks