Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 2009 grad school acceptances with stats?

Registered
    Mar 2009

2009 grad school acceptances with stats?

Hi folks! I've been lurking for a couple of months and sort of following the admissions/decisions threads. I'll be applying for admission to a several programs myself for fall 2010 admission. I have a huge request for those recently admitted:

I know the SOI on an app is huge, but I was wondering if any of you guys and gals starting this fall would mind posting all of your acceptances as well as your academic stats (GRE/GPA) and perhaps any awards you got along with them. And maybe, if you're feeling extra nice, might you include any extracurriculars/internships/work experience as well?

My apologies if this is a duplicate thread. I don't think I saw another like it, though (besides that 62 page beast). And I think this might prove to be a very useful tool for both myself and any future planning applicants, especially if it's all in one organized thread.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'm a Geography major with an emphasis in Urban Studies and zero experience. Got accepted at Virginia Tech, Texas A&M, and Clemson with 3.19 GPA and 1100 GRE. Got a 10 hour a week assistantship at Clemson that provides in-state tuition + tuition reduction + stipend which means I'm essentially just paying for living expenses; amounts to at least 15k in savings a year if from out of state like me.

Accepted at Clemson since others didn't offer me any aid.

I graduated with a 3.155 overall (when i was applying had a 3.0 exactly though) but I had a 4.0 in my Geography major and in my GIS minor so I positioned myself for the masters- I had studied abroad as part of a consortium and tied it to my interest in urban planning and GIS, I took a graduate level course, 2 independent studies related to urban planning and had strong recommendations-

I only applied to programs without the GRE and got into all three programs- Buffalo, Albany and Hunter. I chose Hunter because I am able to live with my parents, nyc offers more opportunities for part time jobs and internships (this summer im interning with the department of city of planning) and in my opinion there is no place better to study planning.

I didnt get offered a grant this year, but the tuition is so low as an in state student I will probably not have to take out a single loan and am of course going to pursue a perfect GPA to get any available grants for next year.

If it matters I just graduated on May 15th and am planning to specialize in International Economic Development and Planning and GIS (important skill to know!!)

Good luck, nice to get a head start on the process!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1562
    Last post: 10 Jun 2014, 11:14 AM
  2. Replies: 68
    Last post: 17 Jul 2009, 12:53 AM
  3. Canadian school acceptances
    Student Commons
    Replies: 47
    Last post: 07 May 2009, 3:30 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Mar 2009, 10:44 PM