Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Santa Cruz, CA

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Santa Cruz, CA

Although Santa Cruz was my destination on this trip, I didn't actually end up taking very many pictures there. It's an odd place. I've heard it described as an overgrown beach town, and that seems about right. Despite the presence and size of UCSC, it really doesn't feel much like a college town.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by teofilo View post
    .... It's an odd place.....
    The greatest understatement I've ever read.

Santa Cruz is a Berkeley wanna-be without the sense of humor. They take themselves entirely too seriously. You didn't get to the Boardwalk or Pacific Avenue (where all the fruits and nuts hang out)? Ocean Avenue does not go to the ocean. Weird, huh?

For years, I lived in Live Oak, an unincorporated area of Santa Cruz County between Santa Cruz and Capitola. I know the area well.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I did get to see plenty of Pacific Avenue, I just didn't take any pictures there.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    The greatest understatement I've ever read.

Santa Cruz is a Berkeley wanna-be without the sense of humor. They take themselves entirely too seriously. You didn't get to the Boardwalk or Pacific Avenue (where all the fruits and nuts hang out)? Ocean Avenue does not go to the ocean. Weird, huh?

For years, I lived in Live Oak, an unincorporated area of Santa Cruz County between Santa Cruz and Capitola. I know the area well.
    In all fairness I don't think Berkeley has much of a sense of humor these days either. I think they both, as well as most of the urban areas of California suffer from the same types of elitist attitudes. Great places to visit though, thanks for sharing the photos.
    Regrets, I've had a few; But then again, too many to mention.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Great to see a preview of Santa Cruz...i'll be there at the end of this month partaking in the supposedly decent pinball collection at the boardwalk.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Aug 2008, 2:22 AM
  2. Hello From Santa Cruz/San Diego
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Oct 2007, 8:47 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 27 Jan 2006, 12:11 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last post: 24 Jan 2006, 2:19 PM