Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Tallahassee FL

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Tallahassee FL

ZG and I went over to SouthWood in Tallahassee today. It's a community with a variety of residential types that we enjoyed viewing. Some images of this "planned community."

The smaller homes all had alley access to their garages.

Row-style housing.

And the rest.

RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Feb 2003
    makes me homesick...
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Needs a Macy's.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Looks a bit 'Disneyesque'.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    If thats one subdivision, it looks like it is trying too hard to appeal to too many market segments.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Looks a bit 'Disneyesque'.

Mike
    There is nothing "Disneyesque" about SouthWood. I'm curious: what makes you think it looks "Disneyesque"? Have you ever visited a Disney facility? Nothing like this in Wisconsin, is there?

This is a St. Joe Company development. Not everything in Florida is related to Disney.

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    If thats one subdivision, it looks like it is trying too hard to appeal to too many market segments.
    St. Joe holds entitlements at SouthWood to:
    over 2,100 single-family dwellings,
    2,700 multi-family dwellings,
    2.2 million square feet of office space,
    800K square feet of commercial,
    a community center,
    schools..

It's essentially its own small community.

Here's a link to the plan:

http://www.joe.com/cms/pdf/SouthWood_Map.pdf

The development is incomplete.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    What I meant is that it looks too 'perfect', with no individual spontaneity - a 'Beigeville'.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You are right, Mike. Really boring. Nothing new or exciting like what's happening in the rust belt.

I'm done posting images of Florida.

Screw you all.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Hi kids! Bet you know, you are taking on the bitch of Florida. haha, yeah, it's real fun to make fun of absolutely everything in this state. It's gotten old. Appleton, Wisconsin: wiki says you lay claim to Joseph McCarthy and have no places worth visiting. Get over it. Don't tell me there are no mixed-use communities in the upper mid-west. Disney-esque: would you say that if this community was in Connecticut? Or Wisconsin? What does that mean, anyway? Mickey and Goofy dancing around? Believe you me, we southerners look at all the housing you urban mid-westerners worship and think, who in their right mind would buy a home with neighbors 4 feet away for $500,000.

Get over dissing this entire state after you've been to Disney. Note: MIDWESTERNERS LOVE TO VACATION HERE AND SEE 4 SQUARE MILES OF THE STATE AND THEN RANT AND RAVE ABOUT HOW AWFUL IT IS.

WE'LL RETURN THE FAVOR IF WE EVER GO TO DETROIT. DEAL?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    You are right, Mike. Really boring. Nothing new or exciting like what's happening in the rust belt.

I'm done posting images of Florida.

Screw you all.
    Now, now, now...

In no way was I criticizing you or your photos, only aspects of the subject matter. The images themselves are very good and do well show the parts that you intend. *Please post more* to show other attributes of this area. I frequently have similar thoughts regarding 'master planned' developments here in Wisconsin - way too often they just strike me as the developers trying 'too hard' to make interesting.

There are similar large-scale developments in the fast-growing City of Madison, WI and environs, too - and driving through them I just sense that something intangible is 'missing'.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    WE'LL RETURN THE FAVOR IF WE EVER GO TO DETROIT. DEAL?
    DEAL! I'll give you a tour you will never forget! I'll even throw in a couple of wineries if you have your passport. Added bonus, I don't drink!

Note I never said anything bad about it only that it looked like it was trying to appeal to too many market segments. I had no idea that they have nearly 5,000 housing units or that much retail to fill. You have to admit though the 15 foot wide homes, the snouts, the arts and crafts bungalows, and the grand colonials certainly give it a sort of "what the heck?" look about it.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2004
    And my only real criticism was that (and I did some heavy Google maps air photo and streetview exploring of that area last night), even though it does address many of the residential market needs of the City of Tallahassee, it does strike me as being a bit on the 'too perfect' side. A northern-based analogy could be the fictional Lake Wobegon. From the initial description, I was expecting the different housing types to be semi-randomly mixed together in a 'stewpot' style instead of as kind of separate 'pods'. The houses on the lowest-end SF streets in it look to be packed as tightly together as anything that was developed before zoning in the northeast. I was also a bit quizzical on the heavy amount of commercial office space in the project, seeing its relative remoteness from I-10 and the local airport, but then, just like with Madison, several state government agencies are making use of it.

Post on!

Mike

It's certainly much better than what they are (not currently) building here in the northern south/southern midwest. Here, with little exception, there's not an appetite to try anything but the front-loaded multi-gabled brick-veneered colonial-inspired pile.

I especially like the narrow homes, as we are constantly looking for examples for inner-city redevelopment.

How old is the development? It seems pretty much new out of the box -- as if it hasn't had time to acquire a veneer of use. Has the economy stopped the project, slowed it, or full-steam ahead?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2004

Blind Bats Out There.....

You all need glasses.....

I see color in several of the examples posted. I see various styles and architectural variety in the fenestration. I see decent open space for a development of mixed density and sizes of homes. I see porches, some of them wrap around. The only picture I didn't care for was the row of garages....er houses that we see everywhere in the USA. Combine all of this with what I consider to be a wonderful part of Florida (topography there) and what must be low prices these days and I think they have a winning development.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jan 2005

Yeah..

Looks like a pretty high-quality subdivision to me as well. I like the key west styles.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    ......How old is the development? It seems pretty much new out of the box -- as if it hasn't had time to acquire a veneer of use. Has the economy stopped the project, slowed it, or full-steam ahead?
    Construction of the residential component began in 1999; the commercial came a little later. I think the state offices campus started earlier than 1999.

The only activity in terms of building were three homes under construction on one street. So yes, the project has slowed.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 13 Feb 2010, 6:33 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 19 Dec 2006, 10:28 AM
  3. Tallahassee
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Feb 2006, 9:26 AM