Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: San Luis Obispo, CA

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005

San Luis Obispo, CA

I hadn't been to SLO before this trip. I was pretty impressed by it. The downtown is fantastic.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Since this is a place to discuss San Luis Obispo. I want to bring up the Dalidio Ranch project. His land is zoned that he could build an open-air mall in the retail part. I am wondering how that would work though even though there are shops downtown and the outlets 10 minutes down the road. Would Paso Robles be a better place for an open-air mall or would a mall still be good in San Luis Obispo? I think Macy's is looking into that project which would change the project into a mall format.

And sorry but I am obsessed with towns with malls. Malls are usually in county seats or population centers and they just fascinate me. Not because it's a place to shop, but the look of malls and the people in malls and the social aspect of them.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    A mall would most likely turn the SLO CBD into a food court for drunken yuppies who enjoy spending big money for coffees that have suffixes such as grande or tall and not prefixes like large.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Nice pics. It doesn't look too bad at all.

BTW, I was waiting for urban19 to chime in. Didn't take long...
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Was also wondering would an outlet mall of 150,000 sq. ft. 10 minutes away effect a lifestyle center going in at Dalidio Ranch?

I am thinking a lifestyle center in Paso Robles might be a better idea.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Great pic teo! All the downtown stuff is about 5 blocks away from my house. We love being able to walk downtown for just about everything (except groceries).
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Nice pics. It doesn't look too bad at all.
    Thanks. I was very impressed with SLO. Definitely a place I could see myself living.

BTW, I was waiting for urban19 to chime in. Didn't take long...
    I guess, if a year and a half doesn't count as "long"...

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Here is a link of what is planned to be built in San Luis Obispo's Dalidio Ranch. And also, there is a Target and Olive Garden being constructed as we speak.

http://dalidiofamilytrust.com/pdf/Dalidio_sitemap.pdf
    from www.dalidioranchtrust.com

Now, SLO already has a good fair share of shopping, but with the addition of the Dalidio Ranch Marketplace I think we will have it all. Macy's and more restaurants is something SLO is lacking that most areas have. I used to get my school clothes at Gottschalks and Ross. Now I go to Sears, Forever 21, and Ross when needed. I would probably go to Macy's instead of Forever 21. I don't like downtown, so I avoid it as much as possible for shopping needs. It's cheaper at the boxy centers stores Unfortunately, when his project is built it will create alot of traffic. I suspect construction will start this year along with the Wal-Mart in nearby Atascadero. I heard Dalidio already has some plans.

BTW, I am probably going to Cal Poly SLO

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Why is there light industrian next to residential?
    Why are the entrances so close to the proposed off ramps?
    Who is going to pay for the off ramps? California is broke!
    An Olive Garden and a Target? Golly is Bed Bath and Beyond and Home Depot Far behind?
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; 17 Jan 2011 at 10:03 PM.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Because it's near existing residential and he can
    Again because he wanted to do
    Lol in the initiative that passed it doesnt require traffic requirements to come first.
    The shopping center is supposed to help pay for it over time
    An Olive Garden and a Target? Golly is Bed Bath and Beyond and Home Depot Far behind?Already have both.
    So we don't have an enclosed mall or open-air mall, but this comes pretty close.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    I heard in order for SLO to get a Macy's, Ernie Dalidio would have to pay Macy's some cash to draw them here. I heard this happened in Tracy that the City Council payed a large sum of cash, so they would locate into their mall.

I think the Visalia mayor also wrote a letter asking Macy's to replace their Gottschalks store.

But I know that SLO would not do that. I feel SLO isn't perfect unless it has a Macy's. It represents having enough population to support it and having the consumers to shop at a Macy's makes an area more interesting.

So, would it still be possible for Macy's to come to SLO? Would they wait until after this economic downturn to open in Dalidio's shopping center? Dalidio has to replace somebody with Target after all.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I don't know how to break this to you, Macy's is a substandard store trying to operate an out-dated business model. There are lots of other higher-end department stores that does what Macy's does, only a whole lot better. I could see them go out of business or severely cut-back thier stores long before I see K-mart/Sears Holding doing the same.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    I don't know how to break this to you, Macy's is a substandard store trying to operate an out-dated business model. There are lots of other higher-end department stores that does what Macy's does, only a whole lot better. I could see them go out of business or severely cut-back thier stores long before I see K-mart/Sears Holding doing the same.
    And yet they have opened stores in Visalia, Tracy, and Palmdale last year. The other high-end department stores don't have as many department stores. Nordstrom's won't be the next Macy's. Macy's is still expanding and I think they would be steady in SLO's market.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Macy's at one time was a big deal. Ever since they started snapping up a lot of the regional department stores, such as the Federated line and May Department stores, they have really become a mid-range department store. The Macy's of the last decade is not the Macy's of the past.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    An Olive Garden and a Target? Golly is Bed Bath and Beyond and Home Depot Far behind?
    The light industrial is a business park proposal with light, non-toxic uses. Well designed business park that will help support jobs is ok next to residential

The entrances are substandard entrances that would need to be upgraded (or shut down)

Obviously Mr. Dilido will pay. Durr (hint, why the project isn't built)

Bed Bath and Beyond is in the commercial center across from Calle Joaquin
    Home Depot is down the street. It is big box heaven down there . Not to mention a wicked micro climate that makes this area the coldest in town.

Did you enjoy the cpsuraf specialty in that site plan? Gotta love the color overlaid on the aerial

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    The light industrial is a business park proposal with light, non-toxic uses. Well designed business park that will help support jobs is ok next to residential

The entrances are substandard entrances that would need to be upgraded (or shut down)

Obviously Mr. Dilido will pay. Durr (hint, why the project isn't built)

Bed Bath and Beyond is in the commercial center across from Calle Joaquin
    Home Depot is down the street. It is big box heaven down there . Not to mention a wicked micro climate that makes this area the coldest in town.

Did you enjoy the cpsuraf specialty in that site plan? Gotta love the color overlaid on the aerial
    And who says Mr. Dalidio will ever have to pay. They are going to have to make county tax payers pay for it which is FINE because we VOTED FOR it and we KNOW the consequences. Since so many people think that we didn't. Things that affect SLO on that property the municipality of SLO will have to cover when they have cash.

Heck, Mr. Dalidio can start building when he wants he just needs the right people. I actually heard this would be a good to start since construction costs are low.

As far as I know, he plans on not downsizing his shopping center. So he will need a replacement to Target. As far I know it's Macy's or JCPenney's. I am routing for a Macy's and I am betting that is who will make the most profit.

Something I realized today is that I am picky what I like to see in SLO. I have my own vision as a jr. city planner of how I'd like to see it grow. Dalidio Ranch WITH a Macy's, Chinatown, Garden Street Terrace, Prefumo Creek Commons, and the new homeless shelter are all in my vision.

Like some I talked to today was saying we know that the developments are going to happen, so now all we can ask for is a nice project and with the right retailers. Would you rather a JCPenney's or Macy's? A Wal-Mart or Lowe's?

I am sorry if you don't like the development CPSURaf, but maybe you would like to trade spots with me in Templeton. There are plenty of small nice communities not growing with retail....Cambria, Morro Bay, Cayucos, Templeton, Santa Margarita, etc...

I plan to live in SLO one day and it's for the development because I was sick of how small Templeton is. And thank God during my lifetime Templeton got Trader Joes.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by urban19 View post
    And who says Mr. Dalidio will ever have to pay. They are going to have to make county tax payers pay for it which is FINE because we VOTED FOR it and we KNOW the consequences. Since so many people think that we didn't. Things that affect SLO on that property the municipality of SLO will have to cover when they have cash. .
    You have no clue how development works in this state do you? We are a "pay to play" state. Thus either a) you pay a development impact fee for roadway expansion (typical developments that do not cause an LOS to drop), b) you build the roadway because the impact is a project is causing drops an LOS beyond its carrying capacity (this project) or b) you pay your fair share of improvements because the project has been identified as in a CIP as an improvement project (a portion of this project, specifically prado road improvements, and then you still pay your fair share of impacts). It has been this way since 78 and Brown 1.0 thanks to Prop 13.

If you don't know what your talking about ask rather than assuming.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Maybe Mr Dalidio is hoping for some pork? Whoops thats off the table as of yesterday! Come to think of it, thats been off the table ever since Reagan yet pork still finds its way in!

I just find it amazing that a developer can propose his own off-ramp and actually think its do-able.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I just find it amazing that a developer can propose his own off-ramp and actually think its do-able.
    Ernie thinks he is god and rules don't apply to him.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    You have no clue how development works in this state do you? We are a "pay to play" state. Thus either a) you pay a development impact fee for roadway expansion (typical developments that do not cause an LOS to drop), b) you build the roadway because the impact is a project is causing drops an LOS beyond its carrying capacity (this project) or b) you pay your fair share of improvements because the project has been identified as in a CIP as an improvement project (a portion of this project, specifically prado road improvements, and then you still pay your fair share of impacts). It has been this way since 78 and Brown 1.0 thanks to Prop 13.

If you don't know what your talking about ask rather than assuming.
    Oh bleh to Prop 13.

I thought the initiative allowed him to get away with building his project and then paying for road improvements later Either way I see his project being the first to start construction over Chinatown, Garden Street Terraces, and whatever else.

Well, I will give him five years. By the time I am out of college or by the end of it there will probably be a Dalidio Ranch Marketplace.

Registered
    Feb 2007

I thought the initiative allowed him to get away with building his project and then paying for road improvements later
    The initiative just circumvented the CEQA and public hearing process. Yanno..no biggie.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Oh bleh to Prop 13.

I thought the initiative allowed him to get away with building his project and then paying for road improvements later Either way I see his project being the first to start construction over Chinatown, Garden Street Terraces, and whatever else.

Well, I will give him five years. By the time I am out of college or by the end of it there will probably be a Dalidio Ranch Marketplace.
    Lets see how this works from my perspective. In order to get this built it needs the following:

1. To be analyzed for air quality conformity
    2. To go through a public involvement process, reviewed for Environmental Justice. I am sure that Chinatown under EJ will give up thier funding and ranking to be behind someone else willingly and not cause any EJ issue for the greedy developer (sarcasm).
    3. A commitment of Dollars by the project sponsor.
    3. Be approved in a Regional Plan by an MPO, State, and Feds. Another opportunity for Chinatown to fight it.
    4. EIS, more public involvement and more EJ. More opportunity for Chinatown to fight it!
    5. Programmed into the TIP because it is considered regionally significant. Still another opportunity for Chinatown to fight it.

I'd give it a minimum of 8 years before its fully constructed, if it is fully funded, fast-tracked, and approved, starting today.

And MI's process has to be a lot simpiler than CA's CEQA!

This Diado guy sounds like the guy who owns our bridge to Canada. (The most important trade point between US and Canada is owned by a guy who makes Monty Burns look like a Saint!) He also owns a few railroads, and one the the largest trucking companies. You know our rotting train station? The one that has appeard in films such as Transformers, The Island, countless Eminem and Kid Rock Videos, and Detroit 1-8-7? He owns that too, and refuses to do anything with it. Oh and he illegally siezed a waterfront park in a poor Mexican Neighborhood so he can expand his bridge. Sorry kids, no baseball, no fishing, you're poor!
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; 27 Jan 2011 at 9:45 AM.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Off-topic:
    If I were Mr. Dalidio, I'd change my name. (Come on, am I the only who laughed at his name?)

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Lets see how this works from my perspective. In order to get this built it needs the following:

1. To be analyzed for air quality conformity
    2. To go through a public involvement process, reviewed for Environmental Justice. I am sure that Chinatown under EJ will give up thier funding and ranking to be behind someone else willingly and not cause any EJ issue for the greedy developer (sarcasm).
    3. A commitment of Dollars by the project sponsor.
    3. Be approved in a Regional Plan by an MPO, State, and Feds. Another opportunity for Chinatown to fight it.
    4. EIS, more public involvement and more EJ. More opportunity for Chinatown to fight it!
    5. Programmed into the TIP because it is considered regionally significant. Still another opportunity for Chinatown to fight it.

I'd give it a minimum of 8 years before its fully constructed, if it is fully funded, fast-tracked, and approved, starting today.

And MI's process has to be a lot simpiler than CA's CEQA!

This Diado guy sounds like the guy who owns our bridge to Canada. (The most important trade point between US and Canada is owned by a guy who makes Monty Burns look like a Saint!) He also owns a few railroads, and one the the largest trucking companies. You know our rotting train station? The one that has appeard in films such as Transformers, The Island, countless Eminem and Kid Rock Videos, and Detroit 1-8-7? He owns that too, and refuses to do anything with it. Oh and he illegally siezed a waterfront park in a poor Mexican Neighborhood so he can expand his bridge. Sorry kids, no baseball, no fishing, you're poor!
    As the post above you said he can skip the CEQA and public hearing process because of a voter initative. So all of what you said the project is exempt of.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    As the post above you said he can skip the CEQA and public hearing process because of a voter initative. So all of what you said the project is exempt of.
    I guess things have changed since I left California. I thought the only way a project could receive an legislative exemption from CEQA was through the approval of the legislature and the governor's signature.

Closed thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 03 Apr 2011, 7:52 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Apr 2011, 1:18 PM
  3. San Luis Obispo downtown center...
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 67
    Last post: 08 Mar 2011, 10:41 AM
  4. Replies: 2