Hi everyone:

I am a non-traditional junior at Eastern Connecticut State University. Non-traditional means that I had to get my sea legs in the ocean of life before I could make a return engagement to higher education. I am currently majoring in Sustainable Energy Management. I happened upon this site while looking for some journal articles that would help me with a research paper I am working on for an Environmental Politics and Policy class I am taking this summer.

I am very excited about this site. I had no idea that there was such a robust community out there with the same inclinations as myself. You see it took a while for me to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, but I am originally from Flint, MI and I have always had a desire to improve conditions there and in places like it.

Initially I thought that I wanted to pursue the avenue of biofuel production in hopes of bringing jobs to Flint through biodiesel production and diesel vehicle retrofitting. I still believe that this is a viable idea and would create jobs, but I also wanted to do something with the creative aspects of my make up and the desire to solve the big problems. That is when I stumbled upon urban planning.

Environmental sustainability and community are very important to me and I believe that they are integral in regard to human development. This feeling is something that I need to pursue further and this seems like the place to do that.

Anyone, have any recommendations for any good grad schools I should look into? I really like the Yale dual-degree program in environmental management and architecture. I haven't seen anything else like it. UNC-Charlotte has an interesting program too in their geography department with a concentration in community planning. I look forward to reading everyone's posts.

Thanks,

Po

Go Wings!