Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why does Buffalo get such a bad rap?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    What Buffalo DOES have that so many other cities would die for is affordable, quality urbanism: interesting pedestrian-oriented middle-class and upper-middle-class pre-WWII neighborhoods that are affordable by mere mortals.

The problem: the very people who have led the "back to the city" movement in the rest of the country -- the educated, progressive Generation Y and Millennial crowd -- are leaving the region in search of work, leaving behind a more conservative, less educated group of twentysomethings and thirtysomethings that share the same suburban aspirations as their parents and grandparents.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    What Buffalo DOES have that so many other cities would die for is affordable, quality urbanism: interesting pedestrian-oriented middle-class and upper-middle-class pre-WWII neighborhoods that are affordable by mere mortals.

The problem: the very people who have led the "back to the city" movement in the rest of the country -- the educated, progressive Generation Y and Millennial crowd -- are leaving the region in search of work, leaving behind a more conservative, less educated group of twentysomethings and thirtysomethings that share the same suburban aspirations as their parents and grandparents.
    I actually disagree with everything you have stated in this thread. Although, I would say that if you get an education and move elsewhere, that you are a traitor. Nothing wrong with that though. But, to the people who want to stay in the area they have grown up and contribute to said area, you are a traitor. Thats actually an admirable neighborhood trait imo.

I never lived in the city of buffalo though. I grew up an hour south or so, worked and commuted to buffalo for a few years and then moved away to pittsburgh, and then moved back to upstate new york after a couple of years down there. In all honesty buffalo is a much better city than pittsburgh.

Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I just spit out my afternoon tea...

why does Barfalo get a bad rap? because it's awful!

I grew up in Syracuse so Syracuse $ucks too

what's tragic about this is Buffalo has some great examples of some great architecture but it doesn't add up to anything - it's a great place to go to school because you learn how so wrong it can go and study why it happened (plus the bars don't close until 4 AM - which is also a reason why you may burn out and leave, just to get some sleep)

some of the best food comes form Buffalo - the ethnicity is fantastic and it shows in the food so there, I said something nice...
    What is so awful about Buffalo? Its a great city. As for Syracuse, its not that bad either.

Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    Buffalo gets a bad rap for a number of reasons ...
    • It's a quintessential Rust Belt city that has all the Rust Belt city stereotypes, and some uniquely its own. Buffalo wasn't just a heavy manufacturing center, but also a major grain milling/transshipment center until the opening of the St Lawrence Seaway killed that industry.
    • The area, mostly south of the city proper, gets a lot of snow because of prevailing winds off Lake Erie. Its biggest weather event was the infamous Blizzard of 77 (sort of the Katrina of its type and day).
    • Buffalo was never a big corporate center town, and the few Fortune 500 companies that were headquartered here were bought up by bigger companies or moved their HQ. Consequently, there are't a lot of big, glitzy office towers downtown.
    • The Buffalo major league sports teams have been notable for their inability to win championships -- and in most years, even have winning seasons! It just re-enforces the "loser" image.
    • Buffalo and WNY is a very conservative area, especially in terms of its business climate. WNYers are slow to change their ways, adopt new technology, etc. It puts a drag on the economy because too many people with new ideas get sick of being hamstrung by "old guard" types (in politics and in business) and leave for greener pastures. (There are some signs that this might be changing, but don't hold your breath on this.)
    • Buffalo has many assets that the locals simply dismiss because they too often buy into Buffalo's "bad rap" themselves.
    If you think Western NY is behind the times (technologically) you should check out Central NY! haha

And that snow makes the area great! Nothing wrong with a little bit of weather. Its too bad people don't use it to their advantage!

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by oktaren View post
    I actually disagree with everything you have stated in this thread. Although, I would say that if you get an education and move elsewhere, that you are a traitor. Nothing wrong with that though. But, to the people who want to stay in the area they have grown up and contribute to said area, you are a traitor. Thats actually an admirable neighborhood trait imo.

I never lived in the city of buffalo though. I grew up an hour south or so, worked and commuted to buffalo for a few years and then moved away to pittsburgh, and then moved back to upstate new york after a couple of years down there. In all honesty buffalo is a much better city than pittsburgh.

What is so awful about Buffalo? Its a great city. As for Syracuse, its not that bad either.

If you think Western NY is behind the times (technologically) you should check out Central NY! haha

And that snow makes the area great! Nothing wrong with a little bit of weather. Its too bad people don't use it to their advantage!
    I live in Jamestown, so I know all about being "behind the times (technologically)", since we have many Amish enclaves all around the city (Panama, Sherman, Cherry Creek, Conewango, Sugar Grove PA).

As for snow, we not only get major league lake effect snow down here, we have hills even in the city. Unfortunately, it's hard to convince people that snow isn't all that bad. I'll certainly take it over hurricanes and 90 degrees/90% humidity.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

Buffalo's biggest problem in keeping urban professionals in the city is the public school system. Back in the 1980s Buffalo's leaders decided to cut funding for the public schools in an attempt to prevent court-ordered integration. Consequently, the city's share of school funding dropped from 31% in the 1970s to around 10% in the 2000s while most communities in NYS pick up between 50% and 80% of their school funding. The rising cost of private school tuition, even in the parochial schools, has made those much less viable options even than they were 15 years ago, so when it's time for their kids to start school, many city dwellers pack their bags and head for the 'burbs.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Some more Buffalo!
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 May 2007, 7:06 AM
  2. Hi from Buffalo
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 23 Jul 2006, 7:24 PM
  3. Buffalo MUP program