Urban planning community

Poll results: That Horse Ain't Gettin' Up...

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great Idea ofos, You're a Genius!

5 31.25%
  • Meh

6 37.50%
  • You can't shut me up, you commie planner!

2 12.50%
  • Other - See my enlightened comments

3 18.75%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dead Horse Thread

Registered
    Jul 2006

Dead Horse Thread

Given our group proclivity for ad nauseam commentary (my own self guilty as charged), I think we should have a way to kill threads without moderator intervention or vote them off the island, so to speak. Maybe have a counter on each thread that would log "Dead Horse" votes (one per person) and then close the thread if some number is exceeded. Neverending threads would be excluded, Mods could have the power to reopen. What say y'all?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2004
    As another flogger of dead horses, I agree with your idea!

Unfortunately, I do it in real life as well as online.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    May 2005
    I like the idea in theory. But I would prefer to vote people off the forum. Kind of like "Survivor: Cyburbia".
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2009
    I was just thinking this after a certain thread about urban life was terminated. I found myself wanting the thread to go away, just to self-correct my own dead horse beating. Now everywhere I look, everyone is either in tight Rustler jeans or billowy Ecko apparel.

I vote to close the Dead Horse Thread.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I like the idea in theory. But I would prefer to vote people off the forum. Kind of like "Survivor: Cyburbia".
    I understand and appreciate the thought but I think I'll leave that one up to the mods. Plus I like it here...and I don't have a lifeline.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    So, the idea is to police yourselves? Believe it or not you kind of do already. I'm not fond of the suggestion, though, and could easily see how such a system could tend to make things more into a popularity contest or even promote cliques, as certain folks would probably endlessly squawk about how certain other posters' threads always get voted out, whereas others don't.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I don't see any benefit to encouraging people to "vote" that a thread should be closed in place of making snarky remarks about how stupid it is. Voting is still a form of commentary. If people think it's too stupid to bother commenting on, silence speaks volumes.

The suggestion reminds me of a principle I have suggested on email lists: Fighting against the fighting is still fighting. If the purpose is to put a stop to negative behaviors, I don't find substituting a new form of criticism (voting the thread out) for an old form (snarky remarks/ganging up on someone until the mods close it) to be a notable improvement.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    There is no need for such thread. We can be adults, right? We has self restraint, right? Use it.

If it is a dead horse thread, just leave it be. There is no need to continue in the thread or discuss it in another.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    May 2005
    I'll try to leave my boots and whip at home. Like Salmissra, this is a habit that extends into my personal life, too. Oh, the humanity!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm NOT being defensive! I'm not being DEFENSIVE! Seriously, I can see the downside of letting the masses decide too but thought that it might save the mods from having to monitor every thread all the time. Might even give them some points with folks who have the voting out over-ridden by a mod. Might not.

Sorry mendelman, but I'm not going to be so naive as to buy the argument that we're all adults so we should be able to control ourselves and not add one more pithy comment to an already overdone thread. Should we? Yes. Will we? Not bloody likely.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Sorry mendelman, but I'm not going to be so naive as to buy the argument that we're all adults so we should be able to control ourselves and not add one more pithy comment to an already overdone thread. Should we? Yes. Will we? Not bloody likely.
    No matter what, there will always be instances where someone takes pot-shots, can't restrain themselves from making one last comment even knowing they shouldn't, etc. But it is possible to foster an environment where there is less of that. You can't get rid of it 100% but you can see dramatic improvements. And a good environment for productive conversation is one where a certain amount of friction is tolerated and efforts are made to lubricate the friction rather than eliminate it. (no sex jokes please -- yes, my mind went there immediately. But, let's just leave it be. Thanks.)

I actually don't like thread closings as a form of moderation. It fails to give closure to the people involved and that's why the subject than leaks out into other discussions. But sometimes it's the lesser evil and far better than doing nothing. Better methods than that are very time consuming and a lot of people just don't have the skill to pull them off even if they have the time to put into it and are willing to go the extra mile. (And, of course, some people are jerks and won't cooperate with nicer approaches. Sometimes you have no real choice but to close a thread or toss someone out on their ear.) I think thread closings by majority vote would cause a lot more negative social fall-out than thread closings by moderator decision. So I think it's a really bad idea.

Just my 2 cents.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'd appreciate it if the Mod who moved this thread from FAC to this forum would PM me.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Should we? Yes. Will we? Not bloody likely.
    Indeed...I never suggested that everyone is, but my position is that many, nee most, of us here know how to act appropriately, but some have trouble actually being.

My position is that your proposal only serves to feed inappropriate behavior and therefore is unnecessary.

Additionally, there is a reason only a handful of active users are moderators.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm....

Sure and while we're at it, let's have a RED HERRING counter too for those threads hiding under the pretext of one topic, but really designed to flame on something else
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Sure and while we're at it, let's have a RED HERRING counter too for those threads hiding under the pretext of one topic, but really designed to flame on something else
    Exactly. The reason I haven't been around too much lately.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    I dont usually want to beat the dead thing- just poke it with a stick

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    My position is that your proposal only serves to feed inappropriate behavior and therefore is unnecessary.
    I appreciate your point of view. My observation has been that trainwreck thread tolerance isn't always equally enforced. Maybe voting a thread off isn't the best idea but I'd still like to see some way to let us common folk at least easily flag a thread for moderator review without putting a message in the thread and hoping that they see it or sending a PM. It wouldn't even have to be a visible flag for the masses. I could see it being one of the "privileges" granted after some minimum number of posts.

Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Additionally, there is a reason only a handful of active users are moderators.
    Insanity is not a valid defense.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Ibut I'd still like to see some way to let us common folk at least easily flag a thread for moderator review without putting a message in the thread and hoping that they see it or sending a PM.
    Moderator note:
    That's what this button is for:

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    Moderator note:
    That's what this button is for:

Doh! (slapping forehead with hand). Icons (and reading faqs) were never a strong point of mine. Hey, I've got great idea! Let's vote people off the island.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Not on the poll...

...but I vote a Mod put the lock thingie on this dead horse of a thread.

EDIT: Hey NHP, what's that blue icon thingie? I don't have one of those. What does it do? Where does in take you? Let me guess....the dreaded tan room.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    ...but I vote a Mod put the lock thingie on this dead horse of a thread.
    PWI? I knew you wouldn't be able to resist throwing a zinger out there. Better to be thought an idiot than to put it in writing and have everyone know. My brother RJ, now there are two of us that have proved the truth of that adage.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    ......Better to be thought an idiot than to put it in writing and have everyone know. My brother RJ, now there are two of us that have proved the truth of that adage.
    Off-topic:
    No, not PWI. To paraphrase my favorite comedian Bob Goldthwait, "...the high school counselor told me I was in the lowest 10% of the class. Well, I'd round up that 10% and I could be their leader." Wanna join me as co-leader, opus?

You're pissed off at me, aren't you? Or did I take you comment wrong? I'm slow that way.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Off-topic:
    No, not PWI. To paraphrase my favorite comedian Bob Goldthwait, "...the high school counselor told me I was in the lowest 10% of the class. Well, I'd round up that 10% and I could be their leader." Wanna join me as co-leader, opus?

You're pissed off at me, aren't you? Or did I take you comment wrong? I'm slow that way.
    Proud to join you at the top of the bottom of the class. Not PO'd in any way. You might not believe it but I've humiliated myself publicly much worse than this.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    EDIT: Hey NHP, what's that blue icon thingie? I don't have one of those. What does it do? Where does in take you? Let me guess....the dreaded tan room.
    Off-topic:
    That's a tool for mods and admins to look up an IP address of a poster.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Beating a thread horse
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Oct 2013, 2:29 PM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last post: 20 Sep 2012, 6:48 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 22 Sep 2009, 9:23 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 10 Nov 2006, 6:07 PM