Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bandit signs - street spam

Bandit signs - street spam

Or, as I like to call it, Amish spam. (Sorry Amish).

I'm not talking about for sale/for rent signs in the rights-of-way, although there is plenty of that around here (and one guy that actually spams by putting the signs in the ROWs of properties he doesn't rent. Sleaze-bucket.) And I'm not really talking about yard signs where there's a connection between the resident and the event. I'm not talking about political signs, or lost kitten/puppy signs.

I'm talking about the Dating/Singles signs. The 'We Buy Houses' signs. The small businesses that think there's nothing wrong with using the collective property of the citizens to promote their businesses. Roofers, salons, blacktoppers, computer companies, crane rental services (!), builders, restaurants, tax preparation services, you name it. Gracious, there's even a church that has created it's own wayfinding sign system (nice metal signs, too) that have plunked them down all over downtown!

This crud has become epidemic here. Right now, our codes are so ancient, it would take a rewrite of some significance to address it, and there's little legislative will. Doing some research for the re-write I cam across Citizens Against Ugly Street Spam. I can't vouch for the site, but it seems to have some resources that may be useful.

So, has street spam become a pandemic?
    Je suis Charlie

Its all over here (Boston). The worst are the ones that damage the trees. They make me so mad! But there doesn't seem to be anything that can stop them.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I tend to get these sorts of signs before they get too much notice. Here, ours are more agricultural like "field mowing" and "Freezer beef available".

What gets me is that realtors are putting their for sale yard signs (commonly placed in the front yard of the property for sale) on the corner of a subdivision entrance as if saying: "I'm selling a house somewhere in here"

In fact, I need to grab one of those tomorrow.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jan 2009
    We get 'em here, appartently everybody in the city needs a date according to ours. But our code enforcement is pretty agressive about removing the signs as they drive around, also if they can site someone, they do it. Our police are also willing to site someone for posting an illegal sign. Our code is also very specific about not allowing them. The easy way to bust some of the mow your yard people is to call the number they give you, get their address, and site them unless they remove the signs - works for some, not all.

If you want really disgusting, you should see the Single Sun City signs, if you don't know Sun City is a retirement community.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our code calls them "snipe signs" and prohibits them. Yes, they seemingly are becoming more prolific. By coincidence, a code compliance officer sent me an email a couple of days asking if we "...had issued a permit for all these roadside signs." I gave her the code citation on their prohibition.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    You have been at this too long when you get gas, drive around the block to seize an offending piece of litter, and then realize that you are not in your community.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    If your zoning regs don't address them check your local ordinances regarding what you can and can't do in the public right-of-way.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Seems the local sign guys have read a map. Heading out of town yesterday, I noticed that similar signs are not placed on the sides of the major intersection that do not include our town limits. To that I say.... it is the Town Next Door'sTM problem...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2002
    All of our code enforcement officers pick 'em up and haul 'em away as we find 'em.

The keep re-appearing like dandelions.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    When I was in enforcement, I called the phone number, got the info mailed to me and cited the business for installing signs without a permit. They called and gave me some static, when they received the notice to appear in court, they paid the fine and all of their signs disappeared.

It probably would be a tedious process for many different spammers, but start with the worst and word will get out.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Proliferation here has been by signs "sandwiched" around existing verticals, like light poles and other sign poles, even on gas pump bollards. They usually are soft-drink ads.

I issued a letter to one pump'n'pay convenience about it and they took down all except the ones on the bollards.

Subsequent letters to planters of an outbreak of flimsy banners brought local council's directive to ease off a bit. Now I'm trying to single-handedly overhaul a ten-yr old sign section of code that is loaded with contradiction. Prior zoning guy apparently did not understand the language and actually permitted some violating ones. He was also supposed to collect and annual renewal fee, but records are just not there.

At least my plate is full, just not very hungry for this flavor of work.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SGB View post
    All of our code enforcement officers pick 'em up and haul 'em away as we find 'em.

The keep re-appearing like dandelions.
    When I was muni we did that too. My dept. had a toyota puckup that was a hand-me-down from a drug bust. We'd pick up every sign in the right-of-way. Even election signs They'd be stacked *next* to the dumpster at the Public Works yard for 2 days, then tossed. Sometimes you piss off the new boss...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 1:51 PM
  2. Street-name signs
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 16 Oct 2009, 12:17 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Sep 2005, 1:05 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Sep 2004, 1:29 PM