Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Hurricane Season

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

2009 Hurricane Season

Those Cyburbian that live near the coast are you ready ? do you have your 72 hr kit ?

Do you live in an evacuation zone or a reception community ? Would you evacuate before ordered to ?

Have you been involved in any planning or mitigation efforts ?

Are you part of your fair community's EOC or IMT (Incident Management Team) ?

Better yet is your name on this year's list of storm names ?
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have about 1/2 my kit ready.

I have a safe place (?) 27 hours inland.

I can not leave early due to work commitments (IMT kinda stuff).

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Those Cyburbian that live near the coast are you ready ? do you have your 72 hr kit ?

Do you live in an evacuation zone or a reception community ? Would you evacuate before ordered to ?

Have you been involved in any planning or mitigation efforts ?

Are you part of your fair community's EOC or IMT (Incident Management Team) ?

Better yet is your name on this year's list of storm names ?
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

The ultimate downfall of the South: assholes who move here and are in denial. (Not you, JNA, I mean transplants who don't have a clue...)

Yep, we have a plan. I'm a native, for crissakes, I've been thru dozens of hurricanes of all categories. RJ has a bit of a clue, but I'm here to help. I have a detailed list of what to take if the kid, cats, and I have to evacuate, and other than personal stuff like Mom and Dad's photo albums, it's in a couple rubbermaid bins in the garage, plus duct tape and cat stuff. I could be out of here in 2 hours, and I know where we will be going (hint, get a hotel room near a hospital or nursing home, the power comes back on a lot faster...).

I've been forced to be on a hurricane team which sucked; government really has no heart at times. I had a tree on my house, and my mom's house, and no electricity for weeks, and my kid was staying with friends who had power, and I had to "man the hot lines" for hurricane preparedness when I needed to be doing the same. While the planners who lived "out of county" got a free ride.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    my plan is to head north to my parents house in Georgia as soon as I know its a commin'!
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Here's the plan

ZG and her son leave for Alabama or parts there on. I stock up on beer, wine, and water at Sam's Club. I make sure the propane tank is full to run the generator. Co-workers come here to camp out. We party and then report to our assignments. I forget my assignment...something about damage assessment. I could be wrong.

Welcome to Florida's breezy season.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I lived in Upstate SC so mostly we got the tail end of the storm with lots of rain and moderate wind. My preparation was just to have enough food, bottled water, charcoal/propane, and candles/battery operated lights on hand to ride out a couple of days with no electricity.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2008
    RJ If you are on a cul-de-sac or there are limited ways to your place look at the trees along the route. Any chance you might have trees across the road? A chain saw could come in very handy. I've had to clear the access to my cul-de-sac once and help open the subdivision access road once.

We're as ready as we can reasonably be. We'll just fill up the cars and have some spare gas and mix up a fresh batch of saw fuel. We will not evacuate because we will not deal with storm surge or flooding. The main issue is no electric power.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Richi View post
    RJ If you are on a cul-de-sac or there are limited ways to your place look at the trees along the route. Any chance you might have trees across the road? A chain saw could come in very handy. I've had to clear the access to my cul-de-sac once and help open the subdivision access road once.

hahahahahha... Yes, we are on a one way in/out road; he keeps talking about getting a chainsaw but hasn't. Our lot/ street won't be so bad, but the county roads outside our subdivision are going to have pine trees all over. 90% of the roads are lined with pines and they fall like clockwork.

But I guess the newbies don't have a clue until they actually see it. It could take DAYS to get county/city crews up to clear roads in our area.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Richi -- I'm experienced in the use of a chainsaw. It's my next big purchase from Lowe's. I'm waiting just a bit until we get nearer the middle of the season in hopes they go on sale.

We're outside of the mapped category 5 evacuation zone and storm surge area. But that's no guarantee.

EDIT: ZG, the pines actually fall like toothpicks, not like clockwork.
    I guess it's a matter of semantics.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Richi -- I'm experienced in the use of a chainsaw. It's my next big purchase from Lowe's. I'm waiting just a bit until we get nearer the middle of the season in hopes they go on sale.

We're outside of the mapped category 5 evacuation zone and storm surge area. But that's no guarantee.

EDIT: ZG, the pines actually fall like toothpicks, not like clockwork.
    I guess it's a matter of semantics.
    If a pine tree falls every 15 minutes and RJ isn't there to see it, is it still "clockwork"?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The Hurricane season ended in a very bad 4 game sweep by the Penguins. Good run for them this year and Cam Ward desreves alot of the credit...shouldn't this be in the NHL Smackdown Thread?

I grew up in a Zone 1 evacuation zone and Mom still lives there. I asked her about the hurricane kit and her reply was "I have my cell-phone and the important papers are in the safe deposit box. If they say leave, I'm leaving and going to (friends) house." My response was "Yep you've been lucky."

This is from someone who has lived in Zone 1 since 1958.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Off-topic:
    From NOAAs official report LINK about Hurricane Ike (2008):
    The post-tropical remnant low of Ike produced strong wind gusts as it moved across the Ohio Valley into southeastern Canada (Table 7). Wind gusts to hurricane force were reported at Louisville, Kentucky, and Cincinnati, Columbus, and Wilmington, Ohio.
    Winds here were recorded at 65kts (74.8mph). I have to think its not very often that cities in the Midwest and central Canada find themselves included in hurricane reports. Ill post some images later of what post-tropical Ike wrought here.

Edit:
    The steeple of St. Mary's Church dates to c.1865, about 12 years after the church was founded. It was in need of repair before the windstorm, but this cause us to take it down with the goal to rebuild. The top of the cross is 140' +/- above grade.

St. Paul's carriage house, across the street diagonally from my home. I heard this giant beech CRACK and fall onto the roof. My neighbor and I tried to get there to see if anyone needed assistance, but had to turn back as it was too dangerous to try to get there. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

Last edited by Gedunker; 08 Jun 2009 at 1:41 PM.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I'm replenishing my stocks now-food, batteries, water, etc. As a department head, I'll be helping out, so my evac plan is to stay here.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I was appalled yesterday when the women on "The View" were discussing a rare thunderstorm that hit NYC the other night, and Barbara Walters said "I felt like I understood how people felt during Katrina" (not quoting, but it was close to that). Oh, please, some heavy rain and a little wind? Lightning? Obviously, Barbara has never been thru a hurricane.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Experimental Hurricane Wind Scale Debuts This Season
    NOAA officials are experimenting with the traditional Saffir-Simspon Hurricane scale—used since 1975 to label hurricane impacts—by removing its storm surge ranges and flooding. NOAA hopes removing the surge information could make categories less confusing for the public.

Storm surge information is “scientifically inaccurate,” according to NOAA officials, and values assigned to storm surge within each category of the Saffir-Simpson scale are often incorrect. For example, Hurricane Ike made landfall in 2008 as a Category 2 storm (based on wind speed), yet the storm surge witnessed in Galveston, Texas, was equivalent to that seen in a Category 4 or 5 storm. Many people chose not to evacuate because they were told it was only a Category 2 storm approaching their homes.

The experimental scale, known as the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale, maintains the Category 1-5 range, assesses only wind speed, and does not include other potential impacts, such as storm surge, floods, and tornadoes.

More information on the experimental change to the Saffir-Simpson scale is available at the National Hurricane Center Web site. NOAA is accepting e-mail comments on the changes until November 30, 2009.
    Interesting discussion.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I'm not in a hurricane area, although we would receive evacuees or refugees [1] from a major one to hit the Texas coast. One site I found very interesting and useful is the blog Listening to Katrina. This guy went through Katrina and weaves the how-to parts into the story of his family leaving, and unwritten so far, returning. The link goes to the list of steps and checklists that can help you get a start on your own planning, but his written blog is well worth reading also. One thing that is different from the usual checklists of equipment is the emphasis on safeguarding your identity and wealth, what he calls the "Life Goes On Bag". Surviving is not just about getting through, but getting through the crisis with the ability to prosper in the future with minimal upheaval.
    Disasters come in all shapes and sizes. House fires, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornados, and many others. Most people never experience these directly, but those who have all agree that prior preparation makes life easier. Successfully winning the disaster game requires that you safeguard two things.

1. Your Health
    2. Your Wealth

Your Health includes your life - and the life and health of your family. Your Wealth means:

1. Money (which fluctuates in value).
    2. Major Assets (Home, vehicles, real estate holdings, etc.)
    3. Material Possessions (other valuables, including contents of your home).
    4. Your Identity
    5. Your Education
    6. Your Skill Set
    7. Your Earning Potential

The last four things (IESSEP) are closely related, but they translate to future wealth. If you have to find a new job due to some emergency or disaster, especially if you find yourself far from home, you will need to be able to document your Identity, Education, and Skill Set in order to be able to find a job and establish a stable living condition.
    I also like this simple flowchart... simple is good in an emergency. Click for full size.

Note [1] - lots of fuss over "refugee" with Katrina... I thought it was a useful word for someone displaced and seeking refuge somewhere safe, inplying nowhere to go back to and needing to resettle. Versus "evacuee" which implies evacuation with the expectation to return, much shorter term.

It appears there's some action in the Atlantic and the Eastern Seaboard has good reason to worry, according to the folks at Accuweather. Indicators are that hurricane patterns are more likely to be similar to the 1950s --where storms battered NY/NE -- rather than the 1990/2000s, where Florida, New Orleans, and the Gulf States were the target.

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I was appalled yesterday when the women on "The View" were discussing a rare thunderstorm that hit NYC the other night, and Barbara Walters said "I felt like I understood how people felt during Katrina" (not quoting, but it was close to that). Oh, please, some heavy rain and a little wind? Lightning? Obviously, Barbara has never been thru a hurricane.
    Maybe Barbara will get some first-hand knowledge this summer.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    It's been like that all summer here so I don't know what she's cribbing about and it's not all that bad. Maybe her satellite went out due to rain fade and that upset her lol.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I've always lived somewhat near the water, my dad's people are all men of the sea so its a bit in the blood.

I hate 'canes though I will take one over the twisters we had every summer in Alabama, you got little or no warning with those when I was a kid.

We have supplies of food, water, dog food (caned and dried) a safe box with all our important records (including dog/vet info) hand crank radio and lights along with some first aid type things. We don't plan to go anywhere living in the DC area, our home is pretty low risk of flood thank goodness.

My father and sister both live in Fla and are both dumb$hits sometimes and others take good care of themselves, they both fall pray to the "its only a 2" situation

My first and middle names are both slated for use in 2010 oh what fun I hope they don't end up being retired.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Katrina dispersed enough family to have options outside of the NOLA area. It's better to leave and have the option of coming back as opposed to staying and getting stuck.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001

We're having a visitor this afternoon...

Tropical Storm Claudette has taken aim at us. We are at the center of the current storm track which is forecast to make landfall late this afternoon or early evening. Not expecting much wind but lots of localized flooding is forecast. Our EOC will partially activate this afternoon. You folks over in Leon County, hunker down.

That beyotch Ana is the the one that concerns me when it gets into the Gulf next week.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 16 Aug 2009 at 1:58 PM. Reason: update

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The heavy stuff started. We figure the power will go soon. Don't expect us on line for awhile. I know that breaks your hearts.

The emergency generator will kick in soon...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    The heavy stuff started. We figure the power will go soon. Don't expect us on line for awhile. I know that breaks your hearts.

The emergency generator will kick in soon...
    Don't forget your floaties! Good luck, we'll be thinking of you!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    We got very little wind in Leon County/Tallahassee and not too much heavy rain, but clouds all yest PM, light rain all nite and looks like today will have no sun and gentle rain all day. We need the water, but day after day of rain and clouds are playing havoc with the garden and the bees. I'm having to feed the bees now. Fungus is invading the garden (what's left of it anyway.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Wow, 3 weeks until the official end of hurricane season and Ida pops up. Good luck to all on the Gulf Coast over the next 24 hours. Looks like Ida is going to hit somewhere near Mobile Bay. Fortunately, it looks like she is going to barely be a hurricane by the time she makes landfall.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The 2012 Hurricane Season thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73
    Last post: 30 Nov 2012, 9:58 PM
  2. The 2010 Hurricane Season Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 08 Sep 2010, 9:46 PM
  3. Replies: 17