Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: California Urban Planning Schools with Transportation Planning Specialty

Registered
    Jun 2009

California Urban Planning Schools with Transportation Planning Specialty

Hello, I just discovered this valuable online resource and would like your advice.
    First, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Ryan and I am a very recent graduate from the University of Southern California with a BS degree in Business Administration (Real Estate Finance concentration).

I am planning to apply to graduate degree programs in urban planning for entrance beginning Fall 2010 and will concentrate / specialize in Transportation Planning. In your opinion, how would you rank the following schools (USC, Cal Poly SLO, UC Irvine, and Cal Poly Pomona) in regard to the Transportation Planning specialty?

Thanks in advance!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    I would recommend USC or UCI for transportation planning, they both have solid reputations in the field and offer lots of classes in both the planning and engineering departments that deal with transportation. CalPoly SLO offers a dual masters degree program where you graduate with degrees in City and Regional Planning and Transportation Engineering. Depending on the amount of analytical skills you want to learn it may be the right fit. Cal Poly Pomona does not offer the dual graduate degree, but you will likely be able to supplement courses in the planning department with courses offered by the civil engineering Department. All of these programs will get you where you want to go, but UCI and USC have stronger reputations.

I notice you did not mention UCLA, most likely due to the mutual dislike between Trojans and Bruins. I would recommend that you look into their MA program in Urban Planning with a transportation specialty as it is usually considered the best one in Southern California.

At UCI, UCLA and UCB you will have access to the University of California Transportation Center which should provide a wealth of research opportunities. Check it out here:
    http://www.uctc.net/

Registered
    Jun 2009
    NickSticks,

Thanks for the wealth of information! I will definitely look into USC and UC Irvine. By the way, I like that you noticed I left out UGLA from my list!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Oct 2010, 11:41 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Jan 2010, 10:19 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Jul 2009, 1:38 PM
  4. California transportation planning
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Oct 2008, 12:31 PM