Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cal Poly Pomona?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008

Cal Poly Pomona?

Has anyone heard if they have sent out letters yet? My friend applied there for this fall for planning and hasn't heard anything yet. I know they have a later admissions timeline but I wasn't sure if they do things on a rolling admissions basis.

I wasn't sure if anyone had any insight?

Registered
    Apr 2009
    I applied there for the start of next year. It seems like they do a rolling admissions if I had to guess (though their final deadline is July 1st). I called the coordinator and they said they've got all my stuff except for 1 letter of rec, once I get that in they can review my application. But I was able to check some of the urban planning graduate classes for the 09-10 school year and many first year graduate classes only had 4 or 5 seats taken (this was out of about 30 available seats). So all I can speculate with that information is that either not many graduate students have applied yet (due to the late deadline), or that Cal Poly Pomona has rejected a lot of people. I would suspect that its more to do with the late deadline than the CPP rejecting so many people. Has your friend submitted all of his/her application materials yet, or is he/she waiting for some letters of rec to come in like me?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Hi! Thanks for the information! I think they were only waiting on one more piece of information and he sent it in earlier this week. Hopefully he hears back soon!

I'm headed to Cal Poly SLO in September so I think we are planning to visit both in late June... it'll be interesting to see how they compare!

Thanks again for the info!

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Hey cindyg86 and johnny blaze. I am going to apply to SLO and Pomona for fall 2010. If you don't mind me asking, what BA degree do you guys have? Do you have any planning experience? Finally, do you think I have a chance with a 3.2 with no planning experience?

Currently go to a UC university hoping to graduate with a degree in history.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Hey T. Huan no problem. I graduated with a B.A. in Urban Studies and Planning from UCSD in 2008, right now just working full time (not related to planning at all) in order to get money for school. My overall GPA was 3.3 and my major GPA was 3.5. I did do a 6 month internship, but my internship wasn't technically urban planning so I didn't list it in my application. But I did a lot of extracuricular activities like joined clubs, went on field trips, volunteered etc that were more planning related. I'm sure a 3.2 would give you a good chance, just be sure to write a solid statement and get good letters of rec. But you should take my advice with a grain of salt as I just got my last letter of rec in so I have yet to hear if I got accepted to CPP yet.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the reply Johnny.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Hi T.Huan! I just graduated from Iowa State a few weeks ago with a B.S. in Community and Regional Planning as well as a B.S. in Sociology. My overall GPA was 3.26 with a GRE of 1150... so definitely nothing special!

I had an internship with a county zoning department between my 4th and 5th years but that is all in terms of actual planning experience. In my personal statement, however, I did talk a great deal about studio experiences (drafting plans, creating a process, community engagement, etc.) as well as extensive research skills I gained thanks in part to my Sociology degree.

Like johnny blaze said, you have a decent chance with your GPA but definitely back it up with good test scores (if necessary), letters of rec, and a personal statement that will blow the admissions committee out of the water. Perhaps work on gaining some sort of experience in the area. I know paid internships are hard to come by now, but I would suggest seeing if you can volunteer in a planning agency or perhaps a local non-profit organization. Contact your local APA chapter to see what sort of opportunities are there.

Keep us updated on how the application process goes for you! Perhaps I'll see you on campus Fall 2010

Registered
    Apr 2009
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37820
    (here's a link to another discussion that relates to what you were asking T. Huan, seems like this person has similar stats to you and a lot of people are replying that this person has good chance too).

And just fyi for everyone in this forum Cal Poly Pomona doesn't require GRE testing so long as your GPA is above a 3.0 and Cal Poly SLO I believe only requires a GRE for those borderline 3.0ish. Well good luck to everybody in here on getting into their respective schools.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    (Take a look at this topic T. Huan. This person has similar stats to you and a lot of people like his chances of getting into grad school).

And just FYI for everyone in this forum, Cal Poly Pomona doesn't require a GRE if your GPA is above a 3.0 and Cal Poly SLO only requires a GRE for those on the 3.0 borderline. Well good luck to everyone in here in getting to their respective schools.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    (Hey T. Huan check this topic out. This person has similar stats to yours and a lot of people like his chances of getting into grad school).

Registered
    Apr 2009
    whoops sorry for the triple post lol. My message wasn't going through at first so I sent posted it a couple times.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Thank you Johnny and Cindy for your comments and advice.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Mar 2012, 7:45 AM
  2. Cal Poly Pomona or SLO?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Nov 2010, 3:27 AM
  3. MLA Cal Poly-Pomona
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Mar 2008, 11:35 PM