Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: CNU accreditation: another option for planner accreditation

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

CNU accreditation: another option for planner accreditation

On Cyburbia, a popular topic of discussion is an alternative to AICP certification. Today, the Congress for the New Urbanism just announced that. Really, it's not an AICP alternative, but an additional accreditation.

CNU Debuts New Accreditation Program to Recognize Professional Excellence

Accreditation Exam Registration Opens June 8, 2009

The Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU) is proud to announce a new professional accreditation program to recognize the talent within the new urbanist movement for creating walkable, sustainable places. The accreditation program seeks to elevate the practice of the principles of New Urbanism and to develop a premier standard of professional excellence in the design of the built environment. Professionals who meet the requirements of accreditation will be recognized as CNU-Accredited. The accreditation credential can be used for business identification, reference criteria, and optional credits within the LEED for Neighborhood Development (LEED-ND) rating system.

CNU has partnered with the University of Miami School of Architecture to launch the first phase of this program using an online exam developed by leading new urbanist experts. The CNU Accreditation program will be frequently updated to reflect the depth of New Urbanist knowledge and practice. Participating at this stage will help the program evolve based on lessons learned and feedback from this first phase.

Professionals can take the exam online during three access windows that will be scheduled each year. The next exam access window is Oct. 5 - Nov. 23, 2009. Registration for this exam window opens June 8, 2009, and closes Aug. 6, 2009. Visit www.cnu.org/accreditation to register now.

The University of Miami also offers a self-paced online course, titled The Principles and Practice of New Urbanism, which provides preparation for the exam but is not required. Registration for the course is separate from CNU Accreditation registration and is available online at http://nuonline.arc.miami.edu.

Benefits of Accreditation

Provides a marketable creditential to employers and clients
    Listing on CNU Member Directory as CNU-Accredited
    CNU-Accredited Professional Certificate
    Optional Innovation Credit in LEED for Neighborhood Development (LEED-ND)

Requirements of Accreditation

Pass the CNU / University of Miami Exam
    Maintain active CNU Membership status
    Attend at least one CNU or local chapter event (minimum one day duration) every year

Background

In the late 1980s, New Urbanism arose out of a recognition that the development professions were working in isolation and as a result not building complete places. City building, which had been practiced under a limited number of professions, had become overspecialized. New Urbanism began by bringing those professions back together under one roof to see the connections between their work. CNU was founded in 1993 to serve the growing movement. Working together, the development professions have forged their own path and have penetrated the industry to an extent unimaginable at the movement's inception.

As new urbanist practice has matured, new urbanists have accumulated a body of knowledge that is quite unique. They have gained two decades worth of experience on how to design and build urban places in the context of today's realities. CNU is now composed of highly-skilled practitioners with a depth of knowledge in a wide variety of traditional disciplines. These members continue to advance the practice -- and inspire and educate those just joining the movement. The CNU accreditation program aims to recognize and reward excellence in New Urbanism.

More Information

For further information and to register for the online exam, visit www.cnu.org/accreditation.
    I'm going to apply, if there's little or no cost.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2005
    According to the FAQ on the CNU website, it's $225 to take the exam. I'm going to think about taking it, although CNU's local chapter here is weak to nonexistent.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    According to the FAQ on the CNU website, it's $225 to take the exam. I'm going to think about taking it, although CNU's local chapter here is weak to nonexistent.
    It's $225 plus the $195 (if your a non-recent grad) for annual dues. Not much for free these days.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

does it mean we belong in the church of duany?

I was wondering about it too today when it came across my inbox - but do you think there is recognition?

Registered
    Aug 2006

CNU vs. LEED-ND

I was waiting for the LEED-ND test to come out, as I assume that having any sort of LEED accredidation is good PR. So, do people think that having a CNU accredidation is redundant if you have LEED-ND? Or is the rule "the more letters after your name, the better"?

Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by JimPlans View post
    I was waiting for the LEED-ND test to come out, as I assume that having any sort of LEED accredidation is good PR. So, do people think that having a CNU accredidation is redundant if you have LEED-ND? Or is the rule "the more letters after your name, the better"?
    In my opinion, LEED-ND would be a better accreditation than CNU, because more employers recognize LEED moreso than CNU. Also, LEED-ND might be more have a wider scope than CNU.

But I would disagree with "the more letters after your name, the better." I've been on roundtables where one or two people will have a half-dozen titles after their names and most people just look and wonder what all of those titles mean. I think other than AICP, AIA (and their counterparts FAICP & FAIA), PE and LEED, other titles are not as recognizable to impress.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    ^^^^^ Agree 100%. Until the CNU accreditation starts showing up as desired on applications I would stick with LEED-ND, besides, how much different are the two going to be, if you build a CNU neighborhood it should qualify for LEED-ND.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    ^^^^^ Agree 100%. Until the CNU accreditation starts showing up as desired on applications I would stick with LEED-ND, besides, how much different are the two going to be, if you build a CNU neighborhood it should qualify for LEED-ND.
    That's what I'm thinking. LEED-ND is like CNU, except more holistic IMO. Comparing the two, I would consider CNU a lesser accreditation at this time. Seems like they are arriving late to the game, since LEED has already taken a substantial lead (no pun) in advancing causes similar to CNU.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. CNU accreditation exam
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 29 Oct 2009, 4:25 PM
  2. LEED accreditation
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 02 Jul 2009, 12:07 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 18 Mar 2008, 5:22 PM