3 6.82%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are you late, early or on time?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Are you late, early or on time?

what say you - are planners habitually late, achtung on time (in the military, that's 15 minutes early) or are you early?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Never late for a meeting. However, 8 in the morning could be 8:45 or later.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    My motto: If you're not early... you're late.

Simply put, I will be early for everything.* Makes my wife crazy.

*However, I dispise being early to a party.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    it depends on the situation.

i'm typically late for work, on time for meetings, fashionably late for parties, on time or early for appointments, late for leaving for road trips, early for flights, on time for reservations.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Always, always early. I have tried to consciously take more time before I leave, but in the end I am always at least 5 minutes and usually 15 minutes early. I can't help it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    My motto: If you're not early... you're late.

Simply put, I will be early for everything.* Makes my wife crazy.

*However, I dispise being early to a party.
    What he said.

My mom was always late. One year in Jr. High I told her class got out 15 minutes before it actually did. She was still late to pick me up.

Mrs. P is habitually late. In fact we call it (her first name)time.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    My motto throughout life has always been if you're early you're on time, if you're on time then you're late.

Having said that, something horrible occurred about 16 years ago that forever threw a monkeywrench into the works - I got married. I don't know exactly why, but for some reason I chose to marry someone who is perpetually tardy. She will be late to her own funeral, I swear. We do NOT share the same views on punctuality and it's an occasional source of irritation for both parties: me, because I'm always getting forced into the situations where I either have to look like some f-ing dumbass and show up 15 minutes late to everything, or worse, be forced into speeding; and her, because it annoys her to see me so annoyed ("'why are you stressing about this so much - it's not like they're going to start the meeting without you...")

If it's up to me, we'll be starting 'achtung' on-time. If I'm late for something, I guarantee it's not because of me.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    For in-house meetings, everybody here is late. But they are exactly 15 minutes late, which is interesting..

For meetings, I am always on time, usually 5 minutes early or setting up the equipment.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Jawohl. Military on-time for this trooper.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm typically a few minutes early, and I have to admit I don't have much tolerance for people who are perpetually late, forcing others (i.e., me) to wait for them.

I've tried the ol' give-them-a-time-that's-15-minutes-early trick, but it doesn't always work.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    My motto throughout life has always been if you're early you're on time, if you're on time then you're late.

Having said that, something horrible occurred about 16 years ago that forever threw a monkeywrench into the works - I got married. I don't know exactly why, but for some reason I chose to marry someone who is perpetually tardy. She will be late to her own funeral, I swear. We do NOT share the same views on punctuality and it's an occasional source of irritation for both parties: me, because I'm always getting forced into the situations where I either have to look like some f-ing dumbass and show up 15 minutes late to everything, or worse, be forced into speeding; and her, because it annoys her to see me so annoyed ("'why are you stressing about this so much - it's not like they're going to start the meeting without you...")

If it's up to me, we'll be starting 'achtung' on-time. If I'm late for something, I guarantee it's not because of me.
    Dude... you summed up my home life right there. Thanks for writing this so I wouldn't have to.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I never schedule a meeting before 10...

I barely make Monday staff meeting at 9!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2004
    Depends on the situation. I'm usually early or on time to meetings. However, it irritates me to no end the people who subscribe to theory that you have to be at least 10 minutes early to work in the morning otherwise you are late. If I role in at exactly 8 am I am not freaking late people. Jeebus.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Depends on the situation. I'm usually early or on time to meetings. However, it irritates me to no end the people who subscribe to theory that you have to be at least 10 minutes early to work in the morning otherwise you are late. If I role in at exactly 8 am I am not freaking late people. Jeebus.
    I don't think of other like that. Not at all. I guess my theory is only for me and my personal demeanor.

-Peart

I am early. This got drilled into at a young age. My grandma thinks cell phones are great if for no other reason that if you are not at her house 15 minutes, she will call you. Further, she will call you for status updates on the way to her house.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    I like to tell people the only time I was ever late in my life was when I was born (two weeks). Other than that, I'm usually the one that gets there thirty minutes early and then waits around in the parking lot until it's time for whatever appointment.

If I role in at exactly 8 am I am not freaking late people. Jeebus.
    That's how half of the staff in my office rolls in, the other half, fifteen minutes late--chronically. I don't mind that people come in on time, but if they are expected to run the front desk, they should probably be ready to write permits at exactly 8:30. The other day, the permit tech and the two backups (aka planners) were not in the office and the door was still locked at 8:30 in the morning. A gentleman was actually at the office trying to get in for ten minutes until he gave up.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear is always early. For everything. Drives Katie nuts. And she did not have far to drive.

Back in 1967 my girlfriend (Jennifer) was late.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Back in 1967 my girlfriend (Jennifer) was late.

Bear
    I knew somebody would go there. No surprise at who did.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    My dad was career military. My ex was career military. Most of my life, "on time" meant 15 minutes early (minimum, of course -- it's fine to be even earlier than that, you slacker). Then I was so sick for so long and often had trouble getting myself together and getting well involved being task oriented, not deadline oriented. Very interesting experience and changed my relationship to time. I still tend to be early but no longer need a valium and emergency therapy session if I'm 3 minutes late.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    i was raised on military time - get there early and wait. I just use the time to wake up in the morning before I have to deal with people. I also go with the idea that there is no planning emergency. If you show up late it's no big deal, just work a little longer to put in your time.

What kills me is that so many of us work flex scheduled and show up at 7:30, the few people that show up at 8:00 on their regular schedule are always thought of as late.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I am totally anal about being on time always for everything, anything. Most of my friends are blonde and couldn't be on time if you held a gun to their heads. I have waited over an hour outside of a venue when a blonde friend has had our tix and been delayed "showering" even though I dropped them off at the hotel 3 hours earlier. It never fails, never changes.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think we've gone here before. I'm too damn lazy to search the forum. Maybe we've reached the end of the internets?

I'm always early and refuse to vote....

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I am totally anal about being on time always for everything, anything. Most of my friends are blonde and couldn't be on time if you held a gun to their heads. I have waited over an hour outside of a venue when a blonde friend has had our tix and been delayed "showering" even though I dropped them off at the hotel 3 hours earlier. It never fails, never changes.
    You might want to be late getting out to the pool tomorrow. Sounds like serious overexposure will be an issue in your neighborhood.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    it depends on the situation.

i'm typically late for work, on time for meetings, fashionably late for parties, on time or early for appointments, late for leaving for road trips, early for flights, on time for reservations.
    That's pretty much me too. Except I'm usually late for appointments too.

And when I'm late for stuff...it's typically only a couple minutes. However, leaving for road trips/going home for the weekend while at college, etc. can be as much as an hour or more late, depending on the situation.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I think we've gone here before. I'm too damn lazy to search the forum. Maybe we've reached the end of the internets?

I'm always early and refuse to vote....
    LOL - now that I read your post - I bet you are right and it was likely me who started it

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Feb 2005, 9:06 AM
  2. How late do your meetings go?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 21 Dec 2004, 10:48 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Feb 2004, 12:00 PM
  4. You're late!!!