Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Architectural renderings - a subtle deception

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    The more realistic, computer generated ones I've seen always feature at least one luxury car and attractive woman.
    I have one for a Denny's that shows a BMW, but hey, it could happen

Registered
    May 2009
    My favorite story about architectural renderings goes like this. My firm was consulting with an architect to present a plan for a mall in Dubai. The architect used all the default people renderings from basic SketchUp and places a woman in shorts and tanktop front and center. Now I know the UAE is supposed to be a bit more westernized but I don't think that was a good choice. Plus the fact they used that graphic several time throughout all the renderings.

Eventually clients will catch-on and start seeing through all of these standard rendering elements and begin wondering what all the money they pay is really for.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by kw5280 View post
    ...begin wondering what all the money they pay is really for.
    Black sweaters and black square framed eyeglasses?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    #1 -- I go paragliding every day, so this perspective is particularly helpful.

#2 -- This appears to be from stroller level -- my son would say "mom, why is that roundabout so gigantically HUGE compared to the buidlings? Don't they understand scale?"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Let's comment on these:

Rendering #1
    Traffic seems to be flowing a bit too well in that rendering. There's also a lot of people milling around the front of that building, all too evenly spaced.

I've noticed that in many renderings showing parking lots, cars are scattered throughout the lot, rather than bunched up closer to building entrances like in the real world

How about these?

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2008
    In the 3rd one someone is climbing up the wall. I've never seen a rock-climbing business out in the open (in the middle of nothing) and they are no rocks for him to grab onto.

What is that place? No one is carrying anything and all the people look attractive.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Finally some realism. I thought I was the only one who could see dead people, but apparently architects are talented that way too!

There's not a single garbage receptacle in sight! Those are some very cleanly folk. They hold on to their trash until they get home.

Oh, and what's up with the lady standing in the middle all alone, not talking to anyone, not walking, just standing there and staring off into space? I mean, some people do that from time to time but shouldn't she have a shopping cart and less expensive clothing?
    Last edited by Maister; 10 Jun 2009 at 10:36 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2005
    As a transportation engineer the traffic and parking parts of rendings and models are always worth a laugh. Well, a laugh until the site plans are set up the same way.
    Like this local example with the outlandishly short left-turn lane that I happened to make into a poster for the architectural style:

That said, as a hobbyist model maker, I really do like seeing real 3-D models that are done for some projects. Locally there have been some great ones. Although the large physical model of the Trinity River plan in Dallas initially neglected minor things like THE &#$&$^!! LEVEES, in favor of electrical wiring in the major buildings and exact models of each house in the area.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    http://brokensidewalk.com/2009/05/19...-fire-station/

and a friend sent me these guys for CAD a while back. i have yet to find a good place to use them

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2551/scalefigure.jpg

(sorry the picture isnt too good)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by cellophane View post

and a friend sent me these guys for CAD a while back. i have yet to find a good place to use them

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2551/scalefigure.jpg

(sorry the picture isnt too good)
    Those are GREAT! I may have to find a way to use them in a downtown master plan or something.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Those are GREAT! I may have to find a way to use them in a downtown master plan or something.
    i can provide a nice clean file of them if people want. DWG, AI & EPS are all easy to export. it will just take me a day or two as I'm a little behind at the moment.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    #1: Apparently people driving one direction drive much nicer cars then those driving the other direction. Is it rush hour between the ghetto and the burbs?

#2: Toward the right there is a guy creepily staring at a couple, as though he plans to stalk them, kill the guy, and kidnap his girlfriend.

#2: Guy on far right. "How much for that do-ggy in the win-dow?"

#3: It was nice knowing you Mrs. Robinson.

#4: "I feel pretty, oh so pretty! So pretty, and witty, and gaaaaaay!" It looks like a scene out of Mary Poppins or something.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    What kills me for all my renderings, I'm in the desert - these things you call trees don't exist, and yet you keep showing me fields of beautiful green grass and endless amounts of trees that are not allowed so we can conserve water or would die from the heat. It's hard to get a good rendering of desert construction, it doesn't look as pretty.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    The sterile renderings always make me think the same thing: Soilent Green is people.

Registered
    May 2009
    Actually, I wouldn't consider that a rendering...just a colored elevation with some bad shadow work. But still funny to see a before and after.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 12 Jun 2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Just for once, I'd like to see a rendering with:

* A same-sex couple.
    * An interracial couple.
    * A skateboarder.
    * A trustifarian hippie.
    * Hipsters.
    * Rednecks.
    * Goths
    * A doughy guy with a neckbeard wearing a science- or Linux-related t-shirt.
    * A woman in an abaya (excepting renderings for projects in Dubai).
    Would you settle for partial reality?

Rendering: renovation of the Gowanus Canal area, Brooklyn, NYC:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3224/...15eae2e8_o.jpg

Granted, the sky and notoriously stank canal are blue; the impeccable lawn is bright green; there are way too few folks hanging out...
    But the people who are painted in--very realistic for that area:

- People of different races happily hanging out in the same arena.
    - Most people wearing the 'grudge look'. Girls dressed in casual co-ed clothing.
    - Group of children representing many different races.
    - Group leader is a female minority who, without an aide, is responsible for too many children.
    - Very overweight child eating food at left forefront.
    - Someone using a laptop.
    - A Lesbian couple? (Holding hands, to the left of the jogger.)

Well, it's a start.

(Rendering: Gowanus Green from the Hudson Companies team. The design is from Rogers Marvel Architects and landscape designers West 8 and Starr Whitehouse.)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    More fun with renderings.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    All that computer generated crap has pretty much ruined this artform. When I was in college studying architecture we knew about perspective. A lot of those people look cut-and-pasted into the renderings, hardly anyone has any fun with these generated drawings. I can recall doing similar things as mentioned earlier, for example I put my New Yorker parked at a curb and the leering perverts into my drawings. We had fun with them.

Dammed kids and their newfangled ways of doing things.

Am I old already at 42?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    This thread makes me wish I had some artistic rendering abilities.

Somebody should put together an entire portfolio of subversive (or at least substantially more realistic) architectural renderings and have them put on display in a gallery somewhere. That's an art show I would enjoy going to go see!
    check out www.land8lounge.com There are plenty of galleries on there. Each member has their own folio with artwork as well. I included a few samples under the same name, nrschmid.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    May 2009
    Since I was laid-off at my previous firm I didn't have a chance to grab some of the renderings our architect had done. But I did have this one that is at the opposite end of the spectrum of what we're talking about. While hand renderings do have more artistic appeal I think they need a little more effort than this. Yes, this was presented to the client. I love the car, the hood looks like it holds a V12 but has been in a couple fender-benders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drawing detail of corner section.jpg  

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    I'm amazed that anyone is suprised by this. I've designed hundreds of development projects during my career as an urban designer and not one has ever come close to what the renderings look like. Think of it this way, renderings are cartoon versions of real life, nothing more.

Registered
    May 2009
    Quote Originally posted by smccutchan1 View post
    I'm amazed that anyone is suprised by this. I've designed hundreds of development projects during my career as an urban designer and not one has ever come close to what the renderings look like. Think of it this way, renderings are cartoon versions of real life, nothing more.
    I'm not suprised. But it's much easier to give some latitude to artistic renderings than it is to the very photo realistic images that can be produced with new technology. I think this thread is more satirical because these new renderings attempt to be realistic but we're poking fun at where they fall short.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    More fun with renderings.

In the "Haven West" one there is a lonely black guy dressed in simple clothes looking in from outside the wall in the alley. I wonder if the renderer was trying to make a social statement.

In the second and third ones apparently they aren't very confident their projects are going to be successful since there seems to be nobody patronizing the businesses. Way to sell it, guys!

In the last four renderings the way the people are all scattered about randomly all alone makes it look like the grounds of a sanitarium. I wonder if they are talking to themselves?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    i gave these to a client a while back. they were to give them a sense of the building and were not intended to be photo-real or anything like that. both done in sketchup.

http://img132.imageshack.us/i/marcusbuilding3.jpg/

http://img189.imageshack.us/i/nobles...uilding03.jpg/

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by cellophane View post
    i gave these to a client a while back. they were to give them a sense of the building and were not intended to be photo-real or anything like that. both done in sketchup.

http://img132.imageshack.us/i/marcusbuilding3.jpg/

http://img189.imageshack.us/i/nobles...uilding03.jpg/
    Nice! Though, I'm disappointed by no Kit.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 08 Sep 2010, 12:00 PM
  2. Do you require color renderings?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 09 May 2003, 2:21 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Mar 2002, 1:04 PM