Urban planning community

Poll results: What is your morning like?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strict regimen! If my alarm was a bugle, I'd be in the Army.

7 12.96%
  • Fairly routine, with occasional hiccups that drive my anal retentive personality nuts!

17 31.48%
  • I take my time, hit snooze if I want, and am general lazy and unhurried.

14 25.93%
  • Never a dull moment... with the kids, the SO, the pets, and I have to do everything!

8 14.81%
  • Total chaos! I never wear matched socks, forget to wash both pits, and shave at work!

1 1.85%
  • Other... and I will explain!

7 12.96%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Morning Like?

Registered
    Oct 2001

What's Your Morning Like?

Okay, I'm not sure we've ever done this before, but I was inspired by a couple other threads, so let's do it! Especially if you have something unusual to add...

My morning goes something like this:

Wake up... This depends on several factors. Has the wife, who gets up way early for her job, hit the snooze button for an hour? If so, my first wake up is around 5:00. Has the dog, a huge beast, kicked me off the bed? Does he need to go out real bad? If so, I'm probably up before the alarm... that sounds at 7:07. Finally, how tired am I? I might hit snooze 6 times... or none. It depends.

Once up, I let the dog out... or force him to go out, particularly if it's cold and rainy. I might check e-mail or something while I wait for him, or start getting ready. Grab clothes from the laundry room, and get ready for the "Triple S" routine. Here's the odd part, but relax, it isn't too graphic.

We have a cat... Puff. Puff can be seen around the house occasionally if just the family is home. If you visit, you'll never see her, and she has great hiding spots. It's very rare she wants to be petted, with one major exception... hence her nickname "Puff the Potty Cat." If you're sitting and she hears it, she comes charging out, demanding you pet her while you are... "doing your business." Read a book or magazine? Not likely, she will swat it right out of your hand. It is her time! Don't you forget it!

The rest is mundane, but unless I'm working to drop pounds, I don't eat breakfast at the house, nor do I have coffee until I get to the office. So, how about you?
    Last edited by Mastiff; 05 Jun 2009 at 1:39 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2004
    I hit the snooze until I freak out that I am going to be late (they watch us like a hawk here) and then I brush my teeth, throw some clothes on, run around the huose like a madman trying to remember where I pout my shoes or my wallet or my keys and then I run out the door and speed to work then I eat breakfast and have coffee.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    1) Wake up to NPR and listen until wakefullness seeps into my foggy brain
    2) Bathroom routine
    3) Morning chow
    4) Get things I'm taking to work ready
    5) Prayer and devotions
    6) 20 minute drive to work
    7) Rinse and repeat

A couple varations-take trash to dumpster-drop mail in mail box-b'fast at McD's drive through.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

My mornings are chaotic. The wife gets out of bed before me (her work starts at 7.30, mine at 8.00 and she has a 20-minute commute). She's a heavy sleeper and I've got to awaken ahead of her or she'll be perpetually late. If it's during the school year, the kids are making every effort to be in bed until the very last possible moment. Lunches to be made, homework to be initialed, book bags loaded. Arrgghhh!

Puff would be friends with Chester and Belle. Chester positively annoys me in the morning. After my shower, he bites my calves (not really a bite, per se, but a nibble). It definitely gets my attention. Of course, he only does this with me, no one else. I'm so fortunate.

Belle listens for me to use the bathroom downstairs and dashes in, practically flying onto the edge of the tub. She chirps these little meows endlessly, prancing back and forth on the tub edge until I go over and pet her. Odd animals, cats.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    As indicated earlier on the 'are you on time' thread, I am very conscious of time. Always. When I lived alone the U.S. Naval Observatory used to occasionally check the accuracy of their atomic clock, based on the time I woke up each morning. I married someone who is 'time-awareness-challenged' and is fond of hitting the snooze button several times. The addition of Junior Maister to this mix was both a curse and a blessing. A blessing because he seems to posess the same notion of getting up early as I do, a curse because that very regular time for him is 90 minutes earlier than my internal clock, meaning I never get enough sleep.

Junior always wakes up at zero dark thirty but may or may not decide to wake up mommy and daddy immediately (may wait anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour before doing so) and that's the one variable.

Once up, I'm pretty much a creature of habit and perform the same daily rituals in sequence: sh**, shower, shave and eat a 'continental' breakfast' taking 3.5 minutes to prepare and consume. Then off to work and only then will I get my coffee.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    5:30am: awake. get dressed, brush teeth, etc. absolutely no snooze button (when I wake up, I'm wide-awake immediately)
    5:40am: take dogs out
    5:45am: bring dogs back in and feed them
    5:50am: take lunch stuff prepared night before out of refrigerator along with something for breakfast (fruit, etc.), take a quick check of the newspaper headlines
    6:00am: out the door for my one hour commute

I stick hard-core to this schedule because it's the only way I arrive on time.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    NO -
    alarm clock,
    wife,
    kids,
    pets,
    coffee or newspaper until I get to the office,
    so morning is pretty simple.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My wife would tell you that to say that I have a morning routine would be putting it lightly.

Alarm goes off every morning at 4:30 a.m. By 4:35 I am out of bed, have used the bathroom and have put on my clothes.

By 4:40 my 1 half of an English muffin (honey wheat double fiber please)is toasting. While in the toaster I put 4 large scoops of cottage cheese (or Greek yogurt if I want something a bit sweeter) into a green dish. It must go into one of the green ones! I also use the toasting time to pour myself 10ozs of Tropicana O.J. (from Bradenton, Florida... Just like my Grandma!). When muffin is ready, I apply a liberal helping of creamy peanut butter.

I sit and eat and watch the news until 5:00 a.m at which point I pick up my gym bag and clothes for the workday that were packed the night before. By 5:05 a.m. I am on the road and headed to my morning spinning class which lasts until 6:45 a.m.

After class I do a few exercises to cool down, change shirts and leave the gym immediately and drive directly to work where I arrive between 6:55 and 7:15 a.m. depending on traffic and proceed to the shower. I am in my cube and at my desk showered and ready for the day generally no later than 7:30 a.m. (usually earlier if traffic allows, sometimes later if class went over or traffic was bad). If needed, I make up the time that I missed during lunch or at the end of the day.

On days I do not go to the gym, push the wake-up time back by 60 minutes and I shower at home... other than that, no changes.

I recently moved a few miles further west and it is making me reconsider my membership at the gym that I go to and possibly going to one closer to my new home but will the possible saving of a few minutes each morning, a few dollars in gas (and possibly in membership fees) be worth the disruption to my schedule? This is something that it will probably take many months and spreadsheets to determine!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2002
    What is this snooze button you speak of? Honestly, I think our clock-radio has one, but I have never used it. The clock-radio is located on the other side of the room, anyway.

Most mornings the cats wake us up before the alarm goes off at 6 AM. Then we head downstairs to make coffee, feed the cats, and let the dog out. We'll watch the AM news while drinking coffee and having cereal. I tend to linger and work on the crossword puzzle from the previous day's newspaper while my SO heads for the shower. Then, while he walks the dog, I take a shower and prepare for my long commute... down the hall to my office.

Even though I no longer have to 'report' to work, I like to stick to my morning routine. I'm much more alert in the morning.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Alarm goes off at 5:30.
    Snooze until 6 or 6:30.

If i'm out of bed right at 6:00, the extra half hour is for laundry, ironing, the garden, dishes, or whatever else needs to get done.

Pack bag with work clothes and lunch.
    Start Coffee.
    Bathroom, Teeth, Shave.
    Bring the bike around from the back porch to the front driveway.
    Put on bike stuff.

7:00 Have coffee and breakfast until
    7:10 Depart for 30 minute bike road to work.
    7:40 Arrive at office, store bike and head for shower.
    8:00 At desk, showered, exercised, awake.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Wedsnesday, Thursday and Friday I get up at 5:30 to read my e-mails and do a little writing.

At 6:30 I shower and get dressed. I have some Instant Breakfast and sometimes toast or a bagel with cream cheese.

We leave at 7:20. I drop the family off at daycare (where my wife works and my son catches a ride to school). I am at my office around 7:40.

Mondays are different because I have a 7 a.m. Toastmasters meeting, so I skip the e-mail check and writing. After the meeting I generally arrive at work around 8:25.

On Tuesdays, I write a little longer and shower at 7. My wife doesn't work Tuesdays so I take my son to school and get to work at 8:15.

Saturday and Sunday I sleep way into 8 a.m. My son knows better than to wake me before then. I make breakfast. Saturday - scrambled eggs with onions, tomatoes and cheese, bacon and sausage and cinnamon rolls. Sunday fried eggs for the wife and I and a hard-boiled egg for son, pancakes, bacon and sausage.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I worked night shift until just a few weeks back. I'm still adjusting to day shift. On night shift, I set my alarm for noon but was usually awake before then. I currently set my alarm for 6:30am and some mornings I wake up well before that. I've gotten up between 4am and 5am a few times. If I'm up really early, I hang out online and might start dough for homemade flat bread. This past Monday, I made both flat bread and homemade sugar cookies for my lunch.

Most mornings, I leave on foot about 7:53am. The Plan is to leave around 7:45am but that almost never happens. Most mornings, I walk for somewhere between 15 and 40 minutes and somewhere in there someone stops and offers me a ride. If I make it to the office between 8:15 and 8:30am, I may walk down to the cafeteria and have a big breakfast. If I had to walk the entire way to work (about an hour walk) or got there after 8:30am, I may just eat yogurt that I brought with me and make some instant organic oatmeal that I keep in my desk. I add some extra sea salt to make up for what I sweat out on the walk to work.

Some mornings, I sleep until nearly 7am and then there is no time to check email, cook etc. I jump in the shower, grab a bite to eat, my son puts my lunch together and I am usually still out the door a few minutes before 8am. A couple of times when life was especially chaotic and I was really dragging, I left shortly after 8am -- and stressed majorly over it because there was no way I was going to be at work on time if I did not get offered a ride. I got picked both times and it worked out.

My life is more go with the flow these days than it used to be. I like that -- as long as "go with the flow" has me at work 30 minutes early more often than not.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My alarm is set for 7 a.m. in case RJ's morning routine hasn't awakened me (he leaves by 6). I peel the breathe-right strip off my nose, and pop open the icy cold can of Diet Dew he's left on my nightstand. Then I sit up in bed and read the local paper RJ has thoughtfully placed on the bed while watching the news on t.v.

Up until last week, when school got out, I would then wake the kid up to get ready for school.

Then I give the cats fresh food and water, shower and dress, have raisin bran or a bagel with o.j., and start my day. Whatever it is for that day.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    i feel like a regular layabout after reading some of those...

i wake up around 6:30, lay in bed / try to sleep until the radio kicks in, then i lay in bed / try to sleep until i can play snooze tag for an hour or so. finally around 8:15-8:45 i fall out of bed, stumble into the shower and am usually late for work. monday, wednesday and friday i hit the yoga class at 9, sweat like a fiend for an hour, run home and shower then go to work. the time missed is picked up by staying late or working on the weekend.

i dont like mornings.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    ...... When I lived alone the U.S. Naval Observatory used to occasionally check the accuracy of their atomic clock, based on the time I woke up each morning. .......
    In reality, they set the atomic clock by the time of my bowel movement. 5:22 am. Each morning. Not earlier. Not later.

During the typical work day, I awake anywhere between 3:30 - 4:30 each morning.
    - Turn the computer on
    - Start the coffee pot--depending on the time I wake up, 6 - 8 cups in the Mr. Coffee
    - Review the online news (and hunt for free pron)
    - Sync with the Naval Observatory
    - Finish the last cup of coffee (no breakfast)
    - Get ZG a Mt. Dew
    - Jump ZG's bones
    - Hop in the shower
    - Dress for work
    - Get ZG the newspaper
    - Head out for work to arrive by 6:30 am
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 05 Jun 2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typo
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    - Jump ZG's bones
    Odd... She does not mention this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    She does note that she has to set the alarm because RJ's morning routine doesn't always wake her up.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am mostly routine. But have been told to come and go as long as I get my 40 in. I went into the office on Friday and the boss was surprised to see me.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    1) Wake up to NPR and listen until wakefullness seeps into my foggy brain
    2) Bathroom routine
    3) Morning chow
    4) Get things I'm taking to work ready
    5) Prayer and devotions
    6) 20 minute drive to work
    7) Rinse and repeat

A couple varations-take trash to dumpster-drop mail in mail box-b'fast at McD's drive through.
    We have pretty similar routines except that I can't get NPR's signal at home so wake up to Christian radio instead and have a 40 minute drive to work, I listen to NPR or NJ Radio. I am not a big morning person but make it work.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    When I was working, I set the cell phone alarm clock for 345 AM. Took me a while to wake up, but was at the gym from 5-730 most mornings, and then in the office by 8AM.

Ironically, I amMUCH busier now that I am out of work. I am putting off going to the gym or doing anything too time consuming so I focus all energy on studying for the LEED exam (did the same exact thing for AICP). I set the alarm clock for 5AM now (but I go to bed later). Take about an hour to get going, and then I am usually studying for the exam starting at 6AM. That will usually go until 4-5PM on most days. After I take the exam on Tuesday 6/30, I hopefully will go back to my old routine of working out first then devoting the rest of the day to the job search.

Yeah, it's discipline, and yeah, I carried alot of it over from the military
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Younger child screams around 5-6 to get up. If its too early I stuff a binky in her mouth and put her off unitl 6. Up at 6, breakfast for the kids (I'll eat as I find a moment.) Pack lunch for older kid and/or me depending, then either load up the kids and drop them off one at a time and get to work, or just go straight to work.

Coffee is usually on a timer for 6:45.

I used to work out before the second kid came.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Kinda routine...I guess

2 days a week I meet my AM running group at 6am, so I make my way to the park, run 4 miles, hurry home to shower and rush out the door to work by 8AM, breakfast and coffee are at the office.

The other days depend on if I need to wash my hair (ladies can understand this). If I need to wash my hair, its a 6:30 alarm to to work by 8 and if I dont then I get roll out of bed by 7:00 and leave by 7:42 to make it work on time!

Sometimes if I have a big meeting, I'll get up a little early to iron or fix my hair nicely.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Maybe I slept thru it.

Or maybe I was raised with too much couth to go there.

: polish, refinement <I expected kindness and gentility (Merriam Webster)

Registered
    May 2005
    Sure I have a routine. But it evolves around my kids. I envy you people who don't have to deal with kids.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    "Other - 50/50 duality"

When I have a morning appointment, (@half the time):
    Strict regimen! If my alarm was a bugle, I'd be in the Army.
    When I don't, (@half the time):
    Sleep all morning.

Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Sure I have a routine. But it evolves around my kids. I envy you people who don't have to deal with kids.
    Most of us who once raised children can definitely empathize.
    I raised a kid sibling- such a load, I could never go through that again!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Good Morning.
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 06 May 2013, 11:54 PM
  2. Good Morning
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 May 2008, 6:16 AM
  3. Morning from SW Ontario