Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Required parking for a flea market

Registered
    Jul 2003

Required parking for a flea market

Had a property owner come into the office last week asking if a flea market would be permitted. Low and behold, they are permitted in the M2 (heavy industrial) zone - never had a single request for one in the eight years I've been here. However, the parking requirements for the M2 zone are based on building square footage and said flea market will have no buildings. I've been asked to file an application to amend the ordinance to specify parking regs for flea markets or open air assemblies. Does anybody have parking regs for such use?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind View post
    Had a property owner come into the office last week asking if a flea market would be permitted. Low and behold, they are permitted in the M2 (heavy industrial) zone - never had a single request for one in the eight years I've been here. However, the parking requirements for the M2 zone are based on building square footage and said flea market will have no buildings. I've been asked to file an application to amend the ordinance to specify parking regs for flea markets or open air assemblies. Does anybody have parking regs for such use?
    Standards from APA PAS report 510/511 has a bunch of standards that range from approximately 2.0 to 5.0 per 1,000 s.f. of sales area. You can download the PAS Report from http://www.planning.org/pas/reports/...rs/parking.htm (assuming you are an APA member).
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

Registered
    Aug 2005

Time for a Code Update?

My gut reaction is to adopt 5 spaces per 1,000 sq.ft. of retail area. In a building or not, whatever space is used for retail will generate a retail-like trip amount. The problem is that your Code is silent on the matter. Maybe it has to go through a variance procedure - not for the use but for whatever design parameters are missing from the Code - these have to be hashed out - unless you can do a quick Code amendment.
    At times like this, you have to ask yourself, "WWJDD?"
    (What Would Jimmy Durante Do?)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Right now, the plan is for the flea market to be open-air with spaces marked off for each seller. No buildings are planned - summer temporary type use.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    If it temp, could you give it temp approval and see what type parking is really required? Will parking be paved? If you have a flexible parking standard (or easy variance process) you might be able to work with that. I hate specificing more parking than is really needed!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tobinn View post
    My gut reaction is to adopt 5 spaces per 1,000 sq.ft. of retail area. In a building or not, whatever space is used for retail will generate a retail-like trip amount. ...
    That's how we'd look at it as "retail" whether it's indoor or outdoor and the parking standard would be the same.

Seriously though, this issue is moot because fleas are so small the parking lot could easily fit in the palm of your hand.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Keep in mind, you should consider deducting the parking if the stall being rented is using the vehicle they brought, ie a van or truck they unload. If not, they typically would have designated parking for the vendors, which would be similar to hotels of 1 parking space per stall, then you would calculate space per the usable lot rental area. This is tricky because they are going to show big aisles without alot of 'retail space' so they can get more rental areas.

Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    That's how we'd look at it as "retail" whether it's indoor or outdoor and the parking standard would be the same.

Seriously though, this issue is moot because fleas are so small the parking lot could easily fit in the palm of your hand.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    btw

haha!

Seriously though, this issue is moot because fleas are so small the parking lot could easily fit in the palm of your hand.[/QUOTE]

Registered
    Jul 2002

Car Parking Provisons

Snowy River Development Control Plan 1998 - Markets = 2.5 spaces per stall. Space 2.6 X 5.4 metres (8.5 X 17.7 feet) from Australian Standard AS 2890.1-1993

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Oct 2012, 5:48 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Nov 2010, 5:24 PM
  3. Parking Flea market parking requirements
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Oct 2010, 10:26 PM
  4. fee in lieu of required parking
    Transportation Planning