Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Apples Falling From Trees

Registered
    Feb 2004

Apples Falling From Trees

It's a well known stereotype that children of clergy become the biggest hell raisers when they turn into teens. I just had a discussion with the wife at lunch where she maintained that police officers' kids are even bigger trouble makers. Anecdotally, I have the impression that military brats have a largely undeserved reputation.

Do parents who work in certain professions tend to have more unruly kids? -either rebellious in response to domineering ways or suffering neglect from time demands of the job?

Do certain professions tend to produce better behaved kids? Do folks who run day care facilities, for instance, tend to have delightful children?

I'm sure the bottom line on this sort of thing is 'it depends' and examples of both good and bad can be pointed to, but I am primarily interested in your anecdotal replies. What is your impression based on what have you seen with your own eyes?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I grew up with some pk's (pastors kids) as well as the daughter of the city chief of police and the son of the captain of the local state police post. Some of them were hell-raisers and some weren't. My impression is that they get closer observation and more public commentary because of their parents occupations but really aren't much different from the rest of us. Same goes for military brats.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I grew up with some pk's (pastors kids) as well as the daughter of the city chief of police and the son of the captain of the local state police post. Some of them were hell-raisers and some weren't. My impression is that they get closer observation and more public commentary because of their parents occupations but really aren't much different from the rest of us. Same goes for military brats.
    This.

I'm a PK and did not fit either stereotype (the hellraiser one or the know-every-verse-of-the-Bible one). I knew a couple of other PKs though that definitely were hellions.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    CK's do tend to fall into one of the two catagories. I've know both extremes. The thing to remember with cops up until the 80's and 90's were not required to have college degrees. Police work was a step up for blue collar families, so the kids tended to reflect those blue collar roots. Now I was more of the straight arrow type, but that was more because of my very traditional upbringing.

CK's and PK's grow up in a fishbowl. Everybody in the community knows your business. Your bad behavor could cause trouble for your parent. Some kids don't react to that very well and get tired of playing the role. Add to this the normal teenage rebellion and things can get interesting.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The most screwed up kids are planner's kids... always raving about sprawl, zoning, access management, sewers, or some other nonsense.

Growing up an inner city catholic, we did not know many pastor's kids as we were all kept locked away with our own kind. There were plenty op cop's kids though. They ran the gamut. But it was not due to the pressure of being under a microscope because we all were to a certain degree, and it wasn't that the world knew them as a cop's kid, though it did get us out of trouble from time to time (though who knows how much trouble you could really get into in Detroit if all you are doing is walking down the street with a quart of beer at 14?)
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    The most screwed up kids are planner's kids... always raving about sprawl, zoning, access management, sewers, or some other nonsense.

Planners' kids grow up to drive Hummers, live in exurbs, shop at walmart, and become developers.

Or Kevin Bacon.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    My daughter was rasied by two therapists. (Poor Girl)
    They have a pretty good reputation for getting into trouble too!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    May 2005
    Two friends I grew up with had parents that were a child psychologist and a family counselor. One ran off with his secretary and abandoned the family (child psychologist). The other was so permissive with her own kids that even as adults they are having difficulty finding their bearings in life - and they're all around 40.

Another friend's father was a Rhodes Scholar and taught Literature at Swarthmore college. In our sophomore year of high school, my friend failed English Its was more about being a disaffected teen than not having any proclivity toward the subject, but that still had to hurt.

I only knew one PK growing up. She was, and I assume still is, pretty straight-laced, but also not an unquestioning person. I'm not sure she could quote scripture. They were Presbyterians (which I guess makes her an MK) and the dad was pretty controlling. He wouldn't let any of the girls or the mom eat fatty foods like ice cream because there was a tendency toward obesity on the wife's side, he said. But HE ate it to his hearts content - right out of the container in front of the rest of the family!! Even as a middle school kid, I knew that was messed up.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    I only knew one PK growing up. She was, and I assume still is, pretty straight-laced, but also not an unquestioning person. I'm not sure she could quote scripture. They were Presbyterians (which I guess makes her an MK) and the dad was pretty controlling. He wouldn't let any of the girls or the mom eat fatty foods like ice cream because there was a tendency toward obesity on the wife's side, he said. But HE ate it to his hearts content - right out of the container in front of the rest of the family!! Even as a middle school kid, I knew that was messed up.
    Just so that no one gets the wrong idea...this is not typical of Presbyterian pastors (my dad being one).

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The children that reside in home daycares in my neighborhood are absolute terrors. There is an aspiring day care owner (she has applied for a site with the Town twice) who lets her 2 year old run through the street unsupervised.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Oct 2011, 9:53 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Jun 2009, 10:49 AM
  3. TIF and falling property values
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Mar 2009, 10:09 AM
  4. Comparing apples to oranges