Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning/real estate programs and jobs in PNW?

Registered
    Jun 2009

Planning/real estate programs and jobs in PNW?

My wife is finishing up her PhD in about a year and one of the top places we'll be seriously looking to live is the Pacific Northwest. We'll be taking a trip out there this summer (NorCal, Oregon, Washington, and B.C.) to kind of scope out and get a feel for Sacramento, San Fran, Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver (and places in between) to see where me might like to end up. Since she'll be looking to get on with her career in academia as a professor somewhere, I am seriously considering going back to school to attain a Masters in a planning or real estate related field.

What are some of the schools out there that offer those types of programs? Are there pro's/cons to each?

If I don't go back to school I'd probably be looking for another job in the economic development field. What are the job prospects like? Is it tough to get a job there being an "outsider" from the midwest? I do have 7 years (currently) experience working in a medium sized college town and am AICP certified so hopefully that helps?

Registered
    Nov 2005
    UW in Seattle just started it's real estate program and has a strong planning program as well. I'd check them out.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Will do. I'm curious how hard it is to get into. Do you know how the schools in Oregon compare? I know that all the UC schools in Cali are pretty highly respected. Not sure at all about B.C.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Portland State and University of Oregon both have well respected planning programs. I believe Portland State offers a graduate certificate in real estate development that you can pair up with the masters in planning. Since it sounds like you are interested in both fields, it might be something worth looking into.

I have heard a lot of good things about the graduate planning program at the University of British Columbia. Quite a few folks in my firm's Canadian offices went there and liked it.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like I have some options. Actually, my wife's dream job is to work for this reknowned researcher in her field who has a lab at UBC (Audiology). When we visit Vancouver in August we certainly plan to visit the campus. Glad to hear they have a good planning program there, as well!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Dec 2009, 10:09 AM
  2. Jobs related to real estate development
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 16 Dec 2008, 9:47 AM
  3. Big-time real estate development jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 May 2008, 3:55 PM