Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How much admin work does an assistant planner do?

Registered
    Nov 2008

How much admin work does an assistant planner do?

Been working as an assistant planner for several months for a smallish town. I was a planner for a consulting company previously. I like the community and the people a lot where I am now. The luster of the new job is wearing off a bit though as I seem to be doing mostly administrative work (accounting, payroll, purchasing, answering phones for the whole office etc.) along with planning board support. Is this typical? What sort of responsibilities have all of you had as assistant planners?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    The tasks you describe are those that are performed by our admin assistant/clerk here. We have an office of 3 - director, myself, and the clerk. She is also the first line of defense when the public drop by the office for a visit. If I had to handle all the phone calls and other office tasks I would get nothing done here (and indeed, on days where she calls in sick, I get little done).

As for me, I'm the staff liaison for two of the boards here (Historic Commission and Environmental Council) and also have various projects of my own that I'm working on. More than enough to keep me busy most days.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I am the only planner in a smallish town as well. I answer the phone (many times people looking for someone other than me), write agendas and take minutes for 3 boards, process permits, file, work with developers on PUDs and subdivisions, and everything in between. I don't see anything wrong with it as we don't have the budget (or office space) for administrative help.

I wouldn't worry about what you do, except for the budget portion. Wouldn't your department director do that?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Sloop View post
    Been working as an assistant planner for several months for a smallish town. I was a planner for a consulting company previously. I like the community and the people a lot where I am now. The luster of the new job is wearing off a bit though as I seem to be doing mostly administrative work (accounting, payroll, purchasing, answering phones for the whole office etc.) along with planning board support. Is this typical? What sort of responsibilities have all of you had as assistant planners?
    It has a lot to do with the size of your municipal staff. You just happen to wear a lot more hats than most of us, and that's not a bad thing. If anything, you develop a lot more transferable skills in other areas of local government.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 08 Jun 2014, 6:45 PM
  2. Tips for Assistant Planner Interview
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 08 Jun 2014, 6:43 PM
  3. Assistant planner interview advice