Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: No more user registration from India. Period.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

No more user registration from India. Period.

This is the post that drove me over the edge.

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37976

Because of issues with spam, when a user from one of the large Indian ISPs registered, they were redirected to a link asking them to send their registration request by mail. However, of those users we registered, very few posted. Some added cyburbia.org email addresses to mailing and forward lists, invited cyburbia.org addresses to Indian social networking sites, included cyburbia.org addresses in "recommend this site" forms on other Web sites, and so on.

Considering the many years that Cyburbia has been online, the ratio of legitimate, actively participating users from IP addresses in India to those that have spammed and caused untold frustration to moderators and administrators is extremely low.

Now, users from IP addresses in India will see this message when they register.

http://www.cyburbia.org/notice/forum_registration_india

Some on IPs from India that have not been blocks will slip through. Those IPs will be added to the blacklist as they are discovered, and those users will be banned or deleted if they fit the profile of a spammer.

Existing users from IP addresses in India are still permitted to post in the Forums.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Indian social networking sites? PM me the link please

Seriously, does spamming not carry the negative social stigma in India as it does pretty much everywhere else? Do Indians spam each other more regularly?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Seriously, does spamming not carry the negative social stigma in India as it does pretty much everywhere else? Do Indians spam each other more regularly?
    I don't know. Seriously, once I had an Indian send an email requesting membership, stating that they're in a planning department at some school. I verified the program exists, and created an account. They spammed. I've had others write to say they want membership on this "esteemed forum" so they can promote their Web site. India has a lot of search engine optimization companies that promote client web sites through forum spam.

The Indian penchant for asking vague question of a large scope (the "Kindly tell me all about transportation planning"-type questions) is supposedly rooted in their primary and secondary educational system, which emphasizes rote memorization over independent research and inquiry. Thus, many can't discern the fine line between ... oh, "Can you point me in the way of any good sign regulations?" and "Tell me all about signs and how they are regulated."
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Dan,

When I applied for Cyburbia membership, I applied from India. I just checked the date, and I had applied on the 28th of June.

Did you really implement this ban?

As for your ban, I find its scope too broad. Many Indians do write in text-speak, which I hate. Many Indians also write generic emails which merit no answer. I can also imagine that the number of Indians who would fit this description is 'disproportionate'.

But here's an argument to keep membership open for Indians. In India, you either study to become an engineer or a doctor. Planning is done, in most cases, by civil engineers who think they have all the tools they need to plan. It would be nice if a well-meaning Indian is allowed to take part in cyburbia forums. It might help an Indian with few resources to get a better picture as to what planning as a discipline encompasses.

karthik

PS: I do not post often on cyburbia. I do not even check the forums often. Should that disqualify me? Busy planning grad students have little time for checking forums.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How many spaces after a period?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Jan 2011, 4:26 PM
  2. Foreclosure and redemption period
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Apr 2007, 3:04 PM
  3. The Best Damn Streetscape PERIOD!
    Friday Afternoon Club