Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crickey! It's Snikes! (Split from 'Random Thoughts')

Registered
    Oct 2003

Crickey! It's Snikes! (Split from 'Random Thoughts')

I debated starting a new thread on "Workplace Hazards" but decided just to post this here. I was out in the field yesterday inventorying some parks and open space preserves and saw this guy. He was about 1.25" in diameter and probably four feet long. Yes, that is a cottonmouth (water moccasin). I first saw him slithering slowly, then he bolted and grabbed a frog. He then floated for a while waiting for the frog to die, i guess.

(bigger image here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswood/3637164384/sizes/l/)

Moderator note:
    Maister: guess the venomous snake topic has proven itself hot enough to warrant its own thread.
    Last edited by Maister; 18 Jun 2009 at 1:41 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I was on a red-eye going to the west coast. I couldn't sleep and so was watching out the window as we were flying through a storm. Lightning hit the wing-it was kinda cool in a creepy way. The lights flickered a bit and the plane bounced a bit but it was alright.
    I was on a regional jet that got hit and we dropped. I am guessing, 2-3k feet. That was the only time i ever puked on a plane.

Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen View post
    I debated starting a new thread on "Workplace Hazards" but decided just to post this here. I was out in the field yesterday inventorying some parks and open space preserves and saw this guy. He was about 1.25" in diameter and probably four feet long. Yes, that is a cottonmouth (water moccasin). I first saw him slithering slowly, then he bolted and grabbed a frog. He then floated for a while waiting for the frog to die, i guess.
    We had an email last week. It's snake mating season. Be carefull.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

(bigger image here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswood/3637164384/sizes/l/)
    Are you sure on your snake ID? I have never seen a water mocassin that was that slender. It is also a wee bit more colorful in its markings. Granted, every one I have seen - and I have seen plenty - were Louisiana and Mississippi snakes. Maybe different part of the country have different bodies and skin patterns. The mocassins I have encountered were very thick-bodied with drab black or dark brown skins.

I think that is perhaps a Northern water snake.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Are you sure on your snake ID? I have never seen a water mocassin that was that slender. It is also a wee bit more colorful in its markings. Granted, every one I have seen - and I have seen plenty - were Louisiana and Mississippi snakes. Maybe different part of the country have different bodies and skin patterns. The mocassins I have encountered were very thick-bodied with drab black or dark brown skins.

I think that is perhaps a Northern water snake.
    I'm not 100%, but this is in Texas and I don't think Northern water snakes inhabit this part of the country. It is true that cottonmouths vary in color/pattern across the country, but this one was dark brown...it looks more colorful in the photos because it was wet and light was reflecting off of it.

Here's another photo (blury, but a good shot of its head/skin):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswood/3638099335/sizes/l/

Oh, another thing: once he bit the frog, the frog didn't move or resist at all....so I assumed this was a sign of venom.

EDIT: I'm changing my stance to "I don't know what it was, but it was a big frikin snake!"

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I don't care for snakes.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Here's another photo (blury, but a good shot of its head/skin):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswood/3638099335/sizes/l/

"
    From that pic, it's not a water moccasin. The head shape is wrong as well as the too thin body that was suggested earlier. Still very cool pics, but I love snakes.

Edit: Pic shows what I am talking about.

“As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    From that pic, it's not a water moccasin. The head shape is wrong as well as the too thin body that was suggested earlier. Still very cool pics, but I love snakes.
    Thanks for the negative ID. Any idea what it might actually be?

(also, don't tell my coworkers its not a cottonmouth or I'll lose street cred )

Registered
    Jul 2006

I agree with Joe. There are a number of water snakes that get mis-identified as cottonmouths and since they all have nasty tempers (even the non-poisonous ones), it's best not to get too close. Look for pictures on the web for Nerodia, which is the water snake family.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    .... Look for pictures on the web for Nerodia, which is the water snake family.
    Better still, get your phone book out, turn to the yellow pages and look under "attorneys."

Registered
    Jul 1998

My first thought was a Graham's Crayfish Snake

I see they live in Texas so it could be on of those.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Goddamn... I HATE snakes.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Ditto, but this thread did make me spend too much time looking at snakes on Wikipedia today.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Ditto, but this thread did make me spend too much time looking at snakes on Wikipedia today.
    I won't even look. I cannot even watch a TeeVee program on snakes.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2003
    My first thought was a Graham's Crayfish Snake

I see they live in Texas so it could be on of those.
    There wasn't a yellow belly on the one I saw

I don't have a problem with snakes, but after seeing that one (and another similarly big one about 20 minutes later) these pictures are making the skin on my legs crawl.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I won't even look. I cannot even watch a TeeVee program on snakes.
    Then you probably don't want to hear about the copperhead I killed in my garage last weekend. Third one in the driveway area in the past two years.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Then you probably don't want to hear about the copperhead I killed in my garage last weekend. Third one in the driveway area in the past two years.
    Killed snakes are good.
    I have run over many a rattlesnake with a Gravely mower (52" deck) or a Walker riding mower (48" deck) back in my landscaping days.
    Garter snakes in the yard get the shovel (chopped in half), scooped (the snake parts into the shovel) and flung (to nearest pasture or busy roadway for the ravens).

-Peart

Registered
    May 2005
    I'd rather go toe to toe with a snake, than with a pissed off raccoon that won't get the hell out of my garage.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I had two very close encounters with water mocassins.

The first one was when I was duck hunting with friends. We needed to cross this creek and I was in front. As I stepped out to wade across I saw a mocassin heading in my way. I stopped but my three friends did not, knocking me into the water with the snake in water that was deeper than I thought. He bee-lined to me. I had my shotgun over my head and was about to try a over-the-head shot, when fortunately the wake wave I made falling in caused him to swim away.

The second happened when I was canoeing. There was a log blocking most of the stream so I had to go under an overhanging branch near the bank. My friend in the bow seat brushed the branch with his head and that is when a big, fat mocassin fell off the branch and right behind him. He did the smart thing - he jumped out onto the bank. The canoe slid up on the bank and the mocassin slid-slithered into the ice chest in the center of the canoe. When the snake came around the ice chest I pinned his head with my paddle and we struggled a bit before I got my knife out and shortened him by a head. I was pretty much the River God that day!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Just like Indiana Jones, I hate snakes.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Just like Indiana Jones, I hate snakes.

Off-topic:
    You and Indy are two peas in a pod! On a related note I'm a lot like Fabio - both of us are the same astrological sign!

What is it about snakes that strikes fear in humans' hearts. I wouldn't say my dislike of snakes falls into the phobia category, but I admit my heart usually races a bit when I spot one slithering within 10 inches of my foot. (funny, doesn't it seem like that's the only way you ever encounter snakes: suddenly and in close proximity?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

WOW

I don't have a problem with snakes....never really have.....

Virginia: Digging a soil profile hole in a remote back yard.....had a 5'+ black snake slither right between my legs....and no big deal.....

Africa: Sitting at a campfire on the shores of the Ewaso Ngiro River and had a Saw-Scaled or Carpet Viper slink along my feet

Arizona: Recently almost walked into a 3.5' Western Diamondback He was just looking for a meal and paid almost no attention to me

The ex-Crocodile Hunter did a good job of educating people about snakes.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I like snakes but from afar. I don't want anything bad to happen to them but prefer that they slither their way and I'll go mine.

I can remember as a child happening upon a little garter snake in my our backyard near one specific tree. I never ran so far or so fast to get away from the little guy. To this day when I get near that tree I am reminding of the little guy.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    (funny, doesn't it seem like that's the only way you ever encounter snakes: suddenly and in close proximity?
    I think that has a lot to do with why people fear them so much. For me, the only thing that makes me more afraid of snakes than any other type of wildlife is not knowing whether they are venemous or not (see: this whole thread ). Grass snakes and garter snakes are fine by me and when I see one in my yard, I just pick it up and move it to the other side of the fence (so my dogs don't eat it).

Registered
    Jul 1998
    There wasn't a yellow belly on the one I saw

I have seen them with the belly kind of a grayish color. The color variation in snakes is so wide it's real hard to get a good ID without the snake in hand. You have to get up close and personal to check out the scale arraignment on the head.
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Oct 2003
    You have to get up close and personal to check out the scale arraignment on the head.
    I'm don't care of he pleads "guilty" or "not-guilty," I'm not getting that close to any big snakes!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Da Boss (split from Random Thoughts)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 25 Sep 2009, 3:18 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 23 Jan 2009, 10:40 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last post: 14 Jan 2009, 3:32 AM
  4. Replies: 97