Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What city has the most pride?

Registered
    Dec 2008

What city has the most pride?

I expect this to bit a biased but what city do you think has the most pride in itself? Big - small, new - old, doesn't matter. We all know New Yorkers are a bit cocky but what city has great pride for reasons other than "Ey, we're huge therefore the best!"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Put on your earphones and click my last link. In spite of our challenges we still hang tough.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2007

My 2 cents

Based on people I've known (which by no means is an accurate or complete observation), I'd have to say:

Detroit
    Buffalo
    Austin (does hubris count?)
    Boston
    Tulsa

Registered
    Dec 2008
    You'd think a city that has a very static population would have more pride than somewhere like Austin, where many people are transplants from other areas. I keep picturing a blue-collar-guy-drinking-a-beer-in-the-bed-of-his-pick-up-truck-watching-baseball kind of town over something that has a more mobile population.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'd put blue-collar cities that obsess over a unique local culture (food, music, indigenous products, nostalgia, etc) at the top.

Buffalo, absolutely, but for the majority it's a love-hate relationship. Detroit residents too, but more in a "you're not as tough as we are" spirit than Buffalonians. I'd also lump Pittsburgh among them, but not Cleveland.

Chicago: ever been through Midway Airport?

New Orleans

Toronto residents have that "we're diverse and world-class!" thing going on.

San Francisco and Dallas residents seem among the most boastful.

I think it's important to point out the difference between "pride" and "smugness". Compare Buffalo, where there's a lot of pride, to Rochester, where its more affluent residents have a reputation for being smug, often basing their pride on how they're better than Buffaloin certain ways.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm.....

Boston....people from Boston have WAY too much pride

Don't forget LA, they have the most annoying pride levels for a place that deserves the least

Denver doesn't have 1/2 the Pride they need to have

Brandon Manitoba needs more pride! (I hear zman saying...where the hell did that comment come from??)

Burkettsville Maryland and Waterford Virginia have just the right amount of pride
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Dec 2008
    someone has an itchy trigger finger for those smilies!

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Boston....people from Boston have WAY too much pride

Don't forget LA, they have the most annoying pride levels for a place that deserves the least

Denver doesn't have 1/2 the Pride they need to have

Brandon Manitoba needs more pride! (I hear zman saying...where the hell did that comment come from??)

Burkettsville Maryland and Waterford Virginia have just the right amount of pride
    I can agree about LA. Toronto has pride but just doesn't show it except for this weekend with the GAY pride festivites. LOL.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    You'd think a city that has a very static population would have more pride than somewhere like Austin, where many people are transplants from other areas. I keep picturing a blue-collar-guy-drinking-a-beer-in-the-bed-of-his-pick-up-truck-watching-baseball kind of town over something that has a more mobile population.
    Austinites are notorious for believing that the city's standard of living and off-beat culture are absolutely perfect and the envy of the rest of the country. So when people criticize the city, as CNU did last year, a lot of people take it personally and the local news coverage is poor and/or derogatory.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Towns

One way you might be able to evaluate pride in a city is the degree to which people who move away still relate to that city. Steeler Nation anyone?
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ahh......

Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    someone has an itchy trigger finger for those smilies!
    Newbs can't comment on my use of emoticons until after 1,000 posts......carry on.....I'm sure Dan has added this rule to the Cyburbia play book right??
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Newbs can't cmment n my use of emticns until after 1, psts......carry n.....I'm sure Dan has added this rule t the Cyburbia play bk right??
    Off-topic:
    Fixed that for you.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2003

state pride

speaking of pride, here is what I dont get about Texas, folks from there seem to be very proud (nothing wrong with that), however when they move away, they still plaster Texas flags all over their houses and cars (in the form of stickers, etc.). I first noticed this in the college dorms (in Mississippi) and now I notice this all over. So my question is, if folks like Texas SO much, and think it is SO great, then why the heck do they leave? that just seems weird to me.

example, I was born in GA. I like GA. But, now I live in FL. If I hung a state flag on my house, it would be of FL. I am here now. It has what I need/want, and I like it and support it. If GA had what I needed/wanted, I would of stayed there. It didnt. end of story. Whats up Texas? why you yall do this?

(and for the record, I have been to Texas)

EDIT, the only other state I have noticed this with (for non sport purposes) is South Carolina, with their palmetto flag. I would love to hear from yall too.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by H View post
    speaking of pride, here is what I dont get about Texas, folks from there seem to be very proud (nothing wrong with that), however when they move away, they still plaster Texas flags all over their houses and cars (in the form of stickers, etc.). I first noticed this in the college dorms (in Mississippi) and now I notice this all over. So my question is, if folks like Texas SO much, and think it is SO great, then why the heck do they leave? that just seems weird to me.

example, I was born in GA. I like GA. But, now I live in FL. If I hung a state flag on my house, it would be of FL. I am here now. It has what I need/want, and I like it and support it. If GA had what I needed/wanted, I would of stayed there. It didnt. end of story. Whats up Texas? why you yall do this?

(and for the record, I have been to Texas)

EDIT, the only other state I have noticed this with (for non sport purposes) is South Carolina, with their palmetto flag. I would love to hear from yall too.
    This is my non-scientific opinion about these two states. Both states were the birthplace of independence movements. Texas was their own country at one time and fiercely fought for their independence from Mexico in 1836. South Carolina was the first state to secede during the Civil War. The state pride is not as extreme in SC as TX, I actually see more Palmetto Stickers here in Indiana then I did in SC. The Palmetto sticker is popular for tourists to place on their vehicles.

I forgot about how strong the Texas Pride is until I went to Texas this past week for vacation. In some areas, every other house had a Texas star on it. The billboards for rent along I-35 had some little quip about Texas pride, heck even Dairy Queen had their own commercials and jingle for the Texas market.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    This is my non-scientific opinion about these two states. Both states were the birthplace of independence movements. Texas was their own country at one time and fiercely fought for their independence from Mexico in 1836. South Carolina was the first state to secede during the Civil War. The state pride is not as extreme in SC as TX, I actually see more Palmetto Stickers here in Indiana then I did in SC. The Palmetto sticker is popular for tourists to place on their vehicles.

I forgot about how strong the Texas Pride is until I went to Texas this past week for vacation. In some areas, every other house had a Texas star on it. The billboards for rent along I-35 had some little quip about Texas pride, heck even Dairy Queen had their own commercials and jingle for the Texas market.
    interesting points. the fact the texas was once a country makes sense to me. are there any other states (besides TX and SC) that are similar in pride? (I know they all have pride, but I am talking TEXAS SIZE pride. did we miss one?)
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Destin FL - Baytowne Wharf

The ZG went over to Walton County this morning. I don't have the patience to link the pictures. Go look in the Florida other thread for the rest of the images..

[img] http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data...SC00076_2_.JPG [/img]

Oh crap, I can't even do this right tonight. What ever.
    Alcohol and posting do not mix. Like I didn't know that.

I really screwed this up.... it was supposed to be a new thread. I'll try again.. No I won't
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 20 Jun 2009 at 8:10 PM. Reason: I'm a moron....

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Of course, I'm going to have to say Chicago. We're proud about our food, our sports teams, our skyline & skyscrapers, our lake, our parks, our "L", our arts & music, our museums, our cheesy local commercials, our media, and so much more. We boast about being tough enough to stand our volatile, harsh climate. And nobody understands political corruption like we do. We're also a lot friendlier than our counterparts on the Coasts, but not too friendly.

Other prideful places from my experiences include:
    Boston
    Detroit
    New York
    Atlanta
    Memphis
    St. Louis
    New Orleans
    Fort Worth
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Double post
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Apr 2006
    NYC without question! When they refer to the "the city" its NYC, according to them there is no other city in America. Every New Yorker I know will let you know how what ever you are doing fails in comparison to what they have in the city....whether its food sports, transportation, culture. NYC is compared to Rome at its height in ancient times.Within that level of pride there is the higher level of pride of those living in Manhattan. Even when I am in NYC I reminded by its residents that I am visiting the greatest city in the world.

Ask a New Yorker about 9/11 and they will tell you on how the rest of the country does not get what they went through unless you were in DC.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Chicago - for most of the reasons IllinoisPlanner said, and because a lot of people feel it's up there with the great cities of the world but never gets the respect of New York, London, Paris, etc. etc.

Others, mostly based off observations from being there or knowing people from there:

Boston
    Philly
    Detroit
    Pittsburgh
    New York City
    Dallas (fits into the whole "Texas pride" thing)
    St. Louis (Cardinals fans)
    New Orleans (I think this was bolstered even moreso after Katrina)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Every New Yorker I know will let you know how what ever you are doing fails in comparison to what they have in the city....whether its food sports, transportation, culture.
    This goes over real well in NC. NOT! If I hear one more transplant from NY or NJ tell people here how it should be done...

That's the difference between pride and arrogance. People from Boston have pride, but they know when to shut it. Can't say the same for New Yorkers. [P.S. Go Sox!]

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yes....

Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    blah blah blah..... [P.S. Go Sox!]
    I agree, the White Sox should go far this year.....GO WHITE SOX!!
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    This goes over real well in NC. NOT! If I hear one more transplant from NY or NJ tell people here how it should be done...

That's the difference between pride and arrogance. People from Boston have pride, but they know when to shut it. Can't say the same for New Yorkers. [P.S. Go Sox!]
    The same was true in DC...they would even brag that they had a 212 area code which is far superior to the lowly 202 of DC. Bostonians were almost as bad...I always thought they were much more smug in a backhanded sort of way.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Oakland CA
    or the entire Bay Area.

I have found that they have a huge inferiority complex with southern CA
    "Inside Joke"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Jakers View post
    Oakland CA
    or the entire Bay Area.

I have found that they have a huge inferiority complex with southern CA
    But at least they got Pro-Football.

If given a choice between LA and the Bay, I'd take the Bay anyday. The Bay is also closer to the Sequioas and Yosemite. Unfortunately my first trip to CA I will end up in Orange County as my sister now lives there. I am dreading this, I doubt if I will be able to see LA, Hollywood, or any of the stuff I want to see and be forced to go to Disney, McDonalds, and Starbucks.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Whatever Happened to Pride?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 09 Apr 2009, 5:27 PM
  2. Apology to Pride of Place
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Nov 2004, 9:30 AM
  3. Palmetto Pride #1